Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

I was a delivery boy from the Well Street shop for a couple of years. Hard job, really. Hugely ungainly bike with the big basket at the front that got overfilled with provisions.

I skidded on the causeys at the Cenotaph lights, one trip (away out to Auchentorlie Quadrant). The goods cascaded everywhere. Was helped by some kind Buddies. Got to the customer (somehow distantly related to my Auntie...) with the 'slightly' damaged stuff including a jar of marmalade - the jar being shattered. I got a cup of tea, a biscuit and a tip!! ohmy.png

I soon moved on to an easier job with bleach etc... smile.png

The Well Street Galbraiths moved round the corner to where there's an Indian at the top of the street for a few years.

After school at 4pm I would travel down to Kilinside Road Co-Op where I had to deliver food orderd. Was given a very heavy old fashioned bike with a huge basket on it. Off I went all round that area delivering the orders with my white doctors co-op coat on lol.

I moved from the West End to Glenburn when I was 11 and got a job after school in the Co-op at 13. I also had to wear a white coat and did deliveries. However I took the coat off for that and used a barrow instead of the big bike as I simply couldnt balance it and was scared I did a Bluto.

Edited by Sonny

Galbraiths was a big concern was it not i'm sure there shops were all over the place or was it just Piasley.

I seem to remember my brother lived a few houses along from your grandmother on main road Eldirslie ?

Did she sell on to the co-op or something ?

I think it was mostly local at the time the family had it but after they sold up it expanded a lot more and grew a lot more. It was gone long before I was around anyway.

My gran lived in Glenpatrick Road Elderslie in one of those big villas, then they shifted to Largs.

On another note, my grandfather had an engineering works in Linwood for years and he invented the first hydraulic lifting system for tipper trucks. He was asked by WH Malcolm to think of a way to make it faster to unload coal from their waggons and came up with that idea, fitted it to their entire fleet and then never patented it. 1eye.gif He was also best mates with Harry Ferguson of Belfast who was also a bit of a car dealer and engineer and my grandfather had made a bit of equipment for tractors so that if they hit a boulder when the plough was down instead of tipping the tractor over and killing or injuring the driver, which was happening a lot, he made a hydraulic thingy that made the plough decouple. He provided the Swedish government with enough of these gizmos to attach to every tractor in their country...and didn't patent it. Harry Ferguson did... the rest is historylaugh.png (Massey Ferguson tractors) I remember a piece on The One Show a few years back about major inventions of the 20th century and Harry Fergusons brilliant invention was named as a game changer....whistling.gif

edit to add... if anyone had family that worked for Malcolms on shovelling coal out the back of lorries then I apologise on behalf of my family for the unemployment that followed the tipper truck invention..

Edited by Reynard

Found the bit about the hydraulic linkage.

Hydraulic three-point linkage

After one or two false starts Ferguson eventually founded the Ferguson-Sherman Inc., with Eber and George Sherman. The new enterprise manufactured the Ferguson plough incorporating patented 'Duplex' hitch system mainly intended for the Fordson 'F' tractor. Following several more years of development, Ferguson's new hydraulic system and three point linkage was first seen on his prototype Ferguson 'Black' now in the Science Museum, Kensington, London. A production version of the 'Black' was introduced in May 1936, made at one of the David Brown factories in Huddersfield, Yorkshire, and designated Ferguson Model A tractor. In 1938 Harry Ferguson's interests were merged with those of David Brown junior to be called 'Ferguson-Brown Ltd'.

I'm like most of us and love this thread. I think we exiles in particular enjoy it.

The stuff about the Glen Cinema staggered me. I knew the history but I always believed that they tore it down after the fire. I'm absolutely shocked to discover that not only was it not torn down but in fact is largely still intact! I always thought my knowledge of local history was reasonably good so I don't know how I missed out on that.

Great stuff,Sonny.

Galbraiths was a big concern was it not i'm sure there shops were all over the place or was it just Piasley.

I seem to remember my brother lived a few houses along from your grandmother on main road Eldirslie ?

Did she sell on to the co-op or something ?

There used to be one a the top of Neilston Road that I went past on my way home from school. Seemed like all the old ladies would be wait for me and asking if I could carry their messages for them. I guess they could spot a soft touch. bangin.gif

I'm like most of us and love this thread. I think we exiles in particular enjoy it.

The stuff about the Glen Cinema staggered me. I knew the history but I always believed that they tore it down after the fire. I'm absolutely shocked to discover that not only was it not torn down but in fact is largely still intact! I always thought my knowledge of local history was reasonably good so I don't know how I missed out on that.

Great stuff,Sonny.

Thanks Rick. I hope you clicked the 'Index' in the Glen link as it shows some current photos of the Glen which the furniture shop sits within. It was smoke and lack of exits that caused the deaths I believe and not the flames.

Two other shots of interest ....

The plaques are outside the entrance to the Good Templar Hall which later became the Glen Cinema, and was also an entrance into the Glen but the other pictures indicate (to me anyway) that the main entrance was at Burton's corner. The tragedy as I said was due to few exits and this disaster brought about new legislation for evacuation in the UK of public buildings.

post-2737-0-94748000-1331490180_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-22964700-1331490229_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Thanks Rick. I hope you clicked the 'Index' in the Glen link as it shows some current photos of the Glen which the furniture shop sits within. It was smoke and lack of exits that caused the deaths I believe and not the flames.

Two other shots of interest ....

The plaques are outside the entrance to the Good Templar's Hall which was also an entrance into the Glen but the other pictures indicate (to me anyway) that the main entrance was at Burton's corner. The tragedy as I said was due to few exits and this disaster brought about new legislation for evacuation in the UK of public buildings.

I thought all the shots were terrific and I don't think I had ever seen any of them before. Being an ex-BB boy, it was nice to see them at the funeral. They looked very smart, just like we were in my day.

It was smoke and lack of exits that caused the deaths I believe and not the flames.

There were no flames as there was no fire.The smoke came from the film reel on the projector overheating,a common fault in those days I believe.Panic set in after children who had smelt the smoke started shouting "Fire" and the rest is history.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. With all the great places in Paisley this thread should run for some time.

I was born in Hannay St (no more) which was off Well St. My mother done loads of her shopping (or I was sent!) in the Galbraiths just round and on the corner on Well St. On the other corner of that block was a butcher's shop (Watson's?) on the corner of Arthur St where the Modele (sp) was - a huge slum for the homeless. As a boy I used to see all the poor old guys staggering down Well St and into Arthur St looking for a bed for the night. Cannot find a pic of it. Would be grateful to see one if anyone can find one.

Any photos of Barrhead ?

Sorry Shull but no. My Mother's family came from Barrhead so maybe I'll do that after Paisley but there is still a lot to do in Paisley. Why not get yourself a wee camera and get out there and let us Paisley folk appreciate what Barrhead has to offer? :)

I can remember Barrhead being a very different place when I was a wee boy from what it is now. My Grannie and Auntie both still lived there so I was in Barrhead every week as a child.

I have now found a building in Arthur St which I thought was the place for the homeless however in this pic the building is listed as a warehouse. Anyone know anything about it?

The JNI Scout Hall was in Arthur St directly across from the modele , I think the modele is the taller building to the right of the shot, it had bars in the windows , quite scary looking. The Scout Hall must just be out of pic to the right ?

There were no flames as there was no fire.The smoke came from the film reel on the projector overheating,a common fault in those days I believe.Panic set in after children who had smelt the smoke started shouting "Fire" and the rest is history.

Thanks HSS. Description here.....(ignore the links as I couldnt be bothered in taking them out).

Wikipedia

'On the afternoon of 31 December 1929, during a children's matinee, a freshly shown film was put in its metal can, in the spool room, where it began to issue thick black smoke. Nitrocellulose film, as used at this time, can burn on its own without needing any supply of air. Soon the smoke filled the auditorium containing about one thousand children. Panic set in. Children ran downstairs so fast and in such numbers that they piled up behind the escape door which led to Dyers Wynd. The door could not be opened, as it was designed to open inwards and was padlocked. The following day, Paisley was stunned by the news that seventy children had died in the crush in the worst cinema disaster in British history.

An inquiry was held in on 29 April 1930 during which it was revealed that the cinema had been inspected and pronounced safe by the Paisley fire brigade on the morning of the fire. The owner, James Graham, had, however, agreed that there were insufficient exits, but claimed he had repeatedly reminded the manager, Charles Dorward, that the escape exits were not to be shut during matinee performances. The manager conceded that the exit gates had sometimes been locked to prevent children from entering the cinema without paying. A policeman who arrived on the scene just after the fire started reported that the gates were padlocked; however, another witness confirmed that she had seen Dorward unlock them. It remained unclear as to why the gates had been padlocked but there was a suggestion that it had been done by two boys. The conclusion of the inquiry was that the fire had been started by a short circuit when a metal box containing film stock had been placed on the top of a battery in the projection room. The tragedy had been made worse by the limited number of exits, insufficient attendants and overcrowding.

A relief fund for the injured children and bereaved parents raised £5,300: Paisley Town Council offered them a week's holiday at the seaside.'

Daily Record anniversary story

'SURVIVORS of a cinema disaster in which 71 children died took part in a moving ceremony yesterday to mark the 80th anniversary of the tragedy. The youngsters were killed at the Glen Cinema in Paisley after fears a fire had broken out triggered a stampede for exits.

Around a thousand had turned out to watch the cowboy movie Desperate Duke on Hogmanay, 1929.

But tragedy struck when black smoke belching from a film canister filled the auditorium.

Panicking youngsters rushed for the emergency exits, but found they couldn't escape as the doors were designed to open inwards.

Waves of children tumbled down the stairs and crushed those below.

The pile of bodies began to mount until they lay 6ft high.

Former postie Robert Pope, 87, was one of the survivors at yesterday's service at Paisley Cenotaph.

He said: "I think my guardian angel must have saved me that day.

" I was at the show and the next thing I can remember I was sitting on the street.

"A fireman asked me what I was doing and I told him I was waiting for the film to start again.

"He told me to get home to my mother right away and that the film wouldn't be starting again."

Emily Brown was just five years old when she was taken to the matinee show by her two sisters.

She said: "I can remember vividly the moment someone shouted fire.

"There was a panic and everyone started running for the doors. I got separated from my sisters.

"I remember a window was broken and a fireman pulling me through it, out into the street.

"Both my sisters had managed to get out, too. We had been lucky but many more were not.

"A girl called Julia who lived next door to us died when she jumped from the balcony and a schoolfriend of mine, Lilly, died in the crush."

Former mill worker Emily added: "The service today was beautiful, I think it is really important people don't forget what happened.

"It is great to talk to other survivors. I have a friend who I have been meeting for years and we only realised we had both been at the cinema that day after meeting at another memorial five years ago."

Lifelong pals Peter Smith, 86, and Jim McCallum, 85, were both at the cinema that day and braved the cold to attend yesterday's service.

Peter was supposed to have joined Leah Dickson, who was older and was to look after him.

But Peter arrived late and sat on his own in the stalls.

He said: "There was a shout of 'fire' and people started charging for the door.

"I can remember somebody falling from the balcony, that was when I really began to panic.

"I ran to the toilet because I knew it had a window. Some older boys held me up on the cistern as I kicked the window.

"I gashed my leg open, but a policeman outside pulled me out. I found out later that Leah had died. If I had been with her I would probably have been killed, too."

Widowed dad-of-two Peter, who was a World War II air gunner, added: "It's very sad that so many people still don't know about the Glen Cinema disaster. It's shocking when you consider what happened."

Pal Jim, a former joiner, added: "It was terrifying, people all around were being crushed. It was just luck that I survived."

Yesterday's service included prayers from Paisley's Bishop Philip Tartallia, the Reverend Monsignor John Tormey of St Mirin's Cathedral and Paisley Abbey's Reverend Allan Briss.

The ceremony ended with Emily laying a wreath to commemorate those who died.'

Edited by Sonny

The JNI Scout Hall was in Arthur St directly across from the modele , I think the modele is the taller building to the right of the shot, it had bars in the windows , quite scary looking. The Scout Hall must just be out of pic to the right ?

That right Billy. There were two other 'huts' . One was used for Judo and the other was a social club for bus drivers and conductors I think. And yes I believe you are also correct in that the Modele was further down Arthur St in the tall building.

Thanks HSS. Description here.....(ignore the links as I couldnt be bothered in taking them out).

Wikipedia

'On the afternoon of 31 December 1929, during a children's matinee, a freshly shown film was put in its metal can, in the spool room, where it began to issue thick black smoke. Nitrocellulose film, as used at this time, can burn on its own without needing any supply of air. Soon the smoke filled the auditorium containing about one thousand children. Panic set in. Children ran downstairs so fast and in such numbers that they piled up behind the escape door which led to Dyers Wynd. The door could not be opened, as it was designed to open inwards and was padlocked. The following day, Paisley was stunned by the news that seventy children had died in the crush in the worst cinema disaster in British history.

An inquiry was held in on 29 April 1930 during which it was revealed that the cinema had been inspected and pronounced safe by the Paisley fire brigade on the morning of the fire. The owner, James Graham, had, however, agreed that there were insufficient exits, but claimed he had repeatedly reminded the manager, Charles Dorward, that the escape exits were not to be shut during matinee performances. The manager conceded that the exit gates had sometimes been locked to prevent children from entering the cinema without paying. A policeman who arrived on the scene just after the fire started reported that the gates were padlocked; however, another witness confirmed that she had seen Dorward unlock them. It remained unclear as to why the gates had been padlocked but there was a suggestion that it had been done by two boys. The conclusion of the inquiry was that the fire had been started by a short circuit when a metal box containing film stock had been placed on the top of a battery in the projection room. The tragedy had been made worse by the limited number of exits, insufficient attendants and overcrowding.

A relief fund for the injured children and bereaved parents raised £5,300: Paisley Town Council offered them a week's holiday at the seaside.'

Daily Record anniversary story

'SURVIVORS of a cinema disaster in which 71 children died took part in a moving ceremony yesterday to mark the 80th anniversary of the tragedy. The youngsters were killed at the Glen Cinema in Paisley after fears a fire had broken out triggered a stampede for exits.

Around a thousand had turned out to watch the cowboy movie Desperate Duke on Hogmanay, 1929.

But tragedy struck when black smoke belching from a film canister filled the auditorium.

Panicking youngsters rushed for the emergency exits, but found they couldn't escape as the doors were designed to open inwards.

Waves of children tumbled down the stairs and crushed those below.

The pile of bodies began to mount until they lay 6ft high.

Former postie Robert Pope, 87, was one of the survivors at yesterday's service at Paisley Cenotaph.

He said: "I think my guardian angel must have saved me that day.

" I was at the show and the next thing I can remember I was sitting on the street.

"A fireman asked me what I was doing and I told him I was waiting for the film to start again.

"He told me to get home to my mother right away and that the film wouldn't be starting again."

Emily Brown was just five years old when she was taken to the matinee show by her two sisters.

She said: "I can remember vividly the moment someone shouted fire.

"There was a panic and everyone started running for the doors. I got separated from my sisters.

"I remember a window was broken and a fireman pulling me through it, out into the street.

"Both my sisters had managed to get out, too. We had been lucky but many more were not.

"A girl called Julia who lived next door to us died when she jumped from the balcony and a schoolfriend of mine, Lilly, died in the crush."

Former mill worker Emily added: "The service today was beautiful, I think it is really important people don't forget what happened.

"It is great to talk to other survivors. I have a friend who I have been meeting for years and we only realised we had both been at the cinema that day after meeting at another memorial five years ago."

Lifelong pals Peter Smith, 86, and Jim McCallum, 85, were both at the cinema that day and braved the cold to attend yesterday's service.

Peter was supposed to have joined Leah Dickson, who was older and was to look after him.

But Peter arrived late and sat on his own in the stalls.

He said: "There was a shout of 'fire' and people started charging for the door.

"I can remember somebody falling from the balcony, that was when I really began to panic.

"I ran to the toilet because I knew it had a window. Some older boys held me up on the cistern as I kicked the window.

"I gashed my leg open, but a policeman outside pulled me out. I found out later that Leah had died. If I had been with her I would probably have been killed, too."

Widowed dad-of-two Peter, who was a World War II air gunner, added: "It's very sad that so many people still don't know about the Glen Cinema disaster. It's shocking when you consider what happened."

Pal Jim, a former joiner, added: "It was terrifying, people all around were being crushed. It was just luck that I survived."

Yesterday's service included prayers from Paisley's Bishop Philip Tartallia, the Reverend Monsignor John Tormey of St Mirin's Cathedral and Paisley Abbey's Reverend Allan Briss.

The ceremony ended with Emily laying a wreath to commemorate those who died.'

I can remember my grandparents (both sets) talking about that disaster and how it affected the town. My great grandfather was in charge of the town cemeteries and had to attend every funeral and it basically did him over by the sounds of it.

The plaques are outside the entrance to the Good Templar Hall which later became the Glen Cinema, and was also an entrance into the Glen but the other pictures indicate (to me anyway) that the main entrance was at Burton's corner. The tragedy as I said was due to few exits and this disaster brought about new legislation for evacuation in the UK of public buildings.

I'll echo what everyone else has said, great thread, Sonny.

The plaque itself says the entrance to the cinema was on Dyers Wynd? And I'm pretty sure it was "Model" (but pronounced the way you've spelled it) - sounds like I need to speak to my mother again.

smile.png

I have now found a building in Arthur St which I thought was the place for the homeless however in this pic the building is listed as a warehouse. Anyone know anything about it?

Its the building on the extreme right,you can just catch the gable end,is where the homeless building was.

I always thought it was kind of scary looking too. Does anybody know the derivation of modele? Pronounced generally as 'Mowdill'. I always thought it didn't sound like a proper word.