Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

a coffin end roof i believe, as opposed to a hip end roof where the pitch is steeper and comes to a point snore.gif

Nope - simply to do with the shape of the building - it used to be much more square and didn't have a clock on top.

You can see it here.

P.s. Much apologies to HSS - I noticed it, but you bunch had got there first (pick you up before you fall in here sometimes!)

post-1336-0-22080600-1351810853_thumb.jp

Edited by Eddy

Nope - simply to do with the shape of the building - it used to be much more square and didn't have a clock on top.

You can see it here.

P.s. Much apologies to HSS - I noticed it, but you bunch had got there first (pick you up before you fall in here sometimes!)

it's the shape of the roof , -- i hopewhistling.gif no i give in it must be the shape of the end of the building,

there were also windows put on gable ends of buildings, known as coffin windows because a coffin could be hoisted up and lowered out of the window due to it being too long to be taken down the narrow or rounded stairwells of old buildings

Edited by buddiecat

PICTURE 105 is the West End Cross or The Coffin En'. The Clock building was built in 1886 and is B Listed.

The Alamo Burns Club has a couple of old photos on-line http://www.alamoburn...s/Page26082.htm .

Great cryptic clue by Bluto with his wee illustrated joke. However smoking is no longer the pastime of some Westenders.

I was born and brought up in the West End with many happy memories there. I was pretty disappointed when wandering about the day I took this photo at just how the area has deteriorated. Cropped out the shot are 4 junkie neds (one wearing the strip of a certain Glasgow team and a baseball cap) who had just come out the bookies next to the Bar point.

'Hey you. Youse takin a fotie a me?' (when the camera obviously wasnt; pointing at them).

'No. The Clock.'

' As long as you are no takin a f**kin fotie o me. Just dont point yer f**kin camera anywhere near me.'

This conversation took place shouting at 50 yards apart on a quiet Sunday afternoon. Shortly afterwards an old lady saw me taking shots and came over and we reminisced for a wee while and she told me that after 50 years living in the West End she was now desperate to leave the area.

However there are still some great buildings at the top of Well St / Wellmeadow and although not listed I'll feature some of them in due course.

post-2737-0-87703000-1351958995_thumb.jp

PICTURE 105 is the West End Cross or The Coffin En'. The Clock building was built in 1886 and is B Listed.

The Alamo Burns Club has a couple of old photos on-line http://www.alamoburn...s/Page26082.htm .

Great cryptic clue by Bluto with his wee illustrated joke. However smoking is no longer the pastime of some Westenders.

I was born and brought up in the West End with many happy memories there. I was pretty disappointed when wandering about the day I took this photo at just how the area has deteriorated. Cropped out the shot are 4 junkie neds (one wearing the strip of a certain Glasgow team and a baseball cap) who had just come out the bookies next to the Bar point.

'Hey you. Youse takin a fotie a me?' (when the camera obviously wasnt; pointing at them).

'No. The Clock.'

' As long as you are no takin a f**kin fotie o me. Just dont point yer f**kin camera anywhere near me.'

This conversation took place shouting at 50 yards apart on a quiet Sunday afternoon. Shortly afterwards an old lady saw me taking shots and came over and we reminisced for a wee while and she told me that after 50 years living in the West End she was now desperate to leave the area.

However there are still some great buildings at the top of Well St / Wellmeadow and although not listed I'll feature some of them in due course.

Is that Shull's taxi parked on the pavement??

IIRC, that first floor above the Tartan Rose used to be a catholic club - the John Ogilvy....? Till it moved up the top of King Street into more purpose built premises...

Looks like a flat, now.

There's still a club up there bluto,The Glenfield if I'm not mistaken.