Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

I have been charitable all year Bluto smile.png . Usually its all too easy for the dedicated Band of Buddies who know Paisley pretty well. However I must admit I walked past this building over many years and had no idea of its past or significance until I started taking these photographs. Get you winter coat on and get out and have a look for it smile.png

Sigh... my 'clue' above is too subtle, I see. rolleyes.gif

(I'll enhance it.)

I believed it to just be a hall for a nearby building that was recently featured. Probably is, nowadays... or does it have another function?

(Also, I'd need to get out and walk 500 miles in my winter coat, etc...)

There is a plaque on the wall which will tell you all about it. Something to do with schools and churches no doubt.

Ah ken that, insaintee!

It also tells ye something else - see 'clue' above. Sigh... rolleyes.gif

Edited by bluto

Sigh... my 'clue' above is too subtle, I see. rolleyes.gif

(I'll enhance it.)

I believed it to just be a hall for a nearby building that was recently featured. Probably is, nowadays... or does it have another function?

(Also, I'd need to get out and walk 500 miles in my winter coat, etc...)

Ah ken that, insaintee!

It also tells ye something else - see 'clue' above. Sigh... rolleyes.gif

I see, its a Charitable school or church or sumatpunk.gif

Gorden street ? lol.gif , and spot the typical truck driver driving up the inside lane to jump the queue at the lights on canal street\gerorge street

Aye. Aye and taking the wrang lane at that roonaboot at the bottom eh Well St. and nearly haufin a motur in two!

He's probably wan eh them Jakey baisturts tae!

ETA: gerorge street?

Edited by Vambo57

PICTURE 110 is the former Hutcheson's Charity School in Oakshaw. Built 1822 and B Listed. Now the Church Hall of the High Church. Don't know anything about Miss Hutcheson but she was yet another generous Buddie who helped her fellow Buddies.

post-2737-0-94961100-1356981564_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-40522400-1356981632_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Hmm A plaque of st mirren in a blond sandstone somewhat italianate building. We've already had the town hall. So I think I need to go for a wander up St Mirren Brae.

A 'building'?

Don't make me cross.

You know you could get closer to a victory than that.

PICTURE 111 is St James' Bridge. B Listed. Built in 1883. Italianate. Built in conjunction with the Town Hall (and I presume financed by the Clark family) Only south side survives due to the friggin Council allowing a monstrosity to be built across the street.

post-2737-0-13447900-1357472783_thumb.jp

Just been watching a programme on bbc 4 about Rosslyn Chapel and it mentions a plaque in Melrose Abbey which details a French architect/stone mason's work. He was responsible for the design change from older style geometric windows to the fancier French Gothic arched window seen in our Abbey. It mentions he was also responsible for work in Paisley and the High Kirk in Glasgow. Seems silly not to have noticed the similarities before, granted Melrose is on a much grander scale - but the style is similar, and they both have a pig gargoyle!

Just been watching a programme on bbc 4 about Rosslyn Chapel and it mentions a plaque in Melrose Abbey which details a French architect/stone mason's work. He was responsible for the design change from older style geometric windows to the fancier French Gothic arched window seen in our Abbey. It mentions he was also responsible for work in Paisley and the High Kirk in Glasgow. Seems silly not to have noticed the similarities before, granted Melrose is on a much grander scale - but the style is similar, and they both have a pig gargoyle!

Honestly, I knew that. :)

And I was in Melrose last September and never saw that plaque...?

Was out for some entertainment tonight -a fillum, not fitba- so will catch that programme ramorra on iplayer.

It seems that every jobbing mason and architect got their chance to shine at Rosslyn.

Eddy, I visited Melrose in Oct there and thought I had taken a shot of that plaque but seems like I didn't. However I did get the flying pig! Melrose Abbey is definitely worth a visit and is in a lovely part of the country. It must have been an outstanding building in its heyday.

post-2737-0-36435400-1357665732_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-43469700-1357665757_thumb.jp