Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Is that a clue Bluto?

The 'good'?

Naw. I wisnae happy with it being Orr Square.

I was in the 23rd Lifeboys then bb for a wee bit. My Buddie got mairrit in it, I wasted a lot of my youth there... So, I just didnae think it was, but could have been easily convinced.

And the Hall was later than the Kirk, IIRC. Grey stone, too...? :unsure:

Ok at a wild guess I'd say the dates and red sandstone suggest another TG masterpiece. It's probably domestic rather than eclesiastic I'll take a wild stab at Redholme. which I cant check cost castle head has not streetview in Google maps.

ETA nope don't think it is.

Edited by insaintee

blimey should have got that. The architecture is remarkable similar to the Orr square church any one know if there is some kind of link?

Get the McGills 66,Airport -Dykebar Hosp.Get off at Causeyside and either walk up New St or Storrie St.

blimey should have got that. The architecture is remarkable similar to the Orr square church any one know if there is some kind of link?

Forfar Bridie, Charles Davidson, settled in Paisley and was architect of the TMM Hall.

http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=200125

He didnae work on Orr Square, though it appears he did hunners of other buildings in the toon. We have a lot to thank him for... smile.png

Edited by bluto

Forfar Bridie, Charles Davidson, settled in Paisley and was architect of the TMM Hall.

http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=200125

He didnae work on Orr Square, though it appears he did hunners of other buildings in the toon. We have a lot to thank him for... smile.png

Thanks Bluto. But it says he did the Free High Kirk which I believe is Orr Square church. Unless someone knows better? Pretty sure this is the same the client is listed as a Rev James Sturrock was Rev at the Orr SquareEdit Church in 1888.

Edited by insaintee

Thanks Bluto. But it says he did the Free High Kirk which I believe is Orr Square church. Unless someone knows better? Pretty sure this is the same the client is listed as a Rev James Sturrock was Rev at the Orr SquareEdit Church in 1888.

Em..... Naw, from that link about him, I think he did the kirk hall that I mentioned above, which from memory was a greyer stone... In 1888.

Orr square was born 150+ years ago, according to this link (by Andy Hosie - sadly now dead, I've found :( )

http://oakshawtrinity.org/about-us-2/orr-square-church-1843-1994.html

Dunno who was responsible for the kirk.

(But will keep looking! Bet sonny knows...)

I also saw the similarity in the Windaes that I expect you noticed. :)

Right,there's no sign of Sonny so I'm going to stick a wee pic in.I'm sure he'll no mind.You may want to have a wee lie down to look at it!!

Sorry to keep you,been waiting on the picture getting developed!Melbourne Oval at the entrance to the HBOS car park.Must be like having a main road as a driveway....

Sorry to keep you,been waiting on the picture getting developed!Melbourne Oval at the entrance to the HBOS car park.Must be like having a main road as a driveway....

Bluidy predictive text, I'm guessing...?

Couldnae find Melbourne oval on streetmap, and still didnae recognise that postbox. Is it still operational?

PICTURE 117 has been identified as 'the Thomas Muir Memorial Hall in North St. Built in 1905 as a mission hall for St John's Church. Gifted to the church by Mr. John Muir and Mr. Roger Muir in memory of their brother Thomas all of whom were Elders in that church. Sold by the church in 1975. '

I do not know what the building is currently used for. There is also some uncertainty about which Church the Hall belonged to. The above source states St John's Church which is in School Wynd a wee distance away from North St. The same source in another article (Scottish Church Heritage Research) stated the Hall belonged to the North Church which was now demolished but I haven't found out any more about a North Church or its location.

I found an interesting article about a BB Company being based there from the Oakshaw Trinity http://oakshawtrinity.org/for-children-2/14th-paisley-boys-brigade/history/part-1-1900-1940.html (that makes 3 Churches now connected to the TM Hall) . This is an excerpt ...

'On 21st January 1901 a full dress parade was held and the Company was
officially sworn in. The members of the Church were thanked for their
assistance in equipping this well fitted-out unit with uniforms and rifles.'

I was in the BB for many years and I am sure I was never issued with a rifle smile.png .

post-2737-0-24725400-1361540762_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Bluidy predictive text, I'm guessing...?

Couldnae find Melbourne oval on streetmap, and still didnae recognise that postbox. Is it still operational?

Kelburne Oval it is mate.It's not a postbox but I don't really know what it is.I'm guessing maybe a Wardens Station from the war?Anybuddie know any better?

http://www.renfrewnorth.org.uk/history.htm

the above link may be relevent it talks about the Renfrew North Parish church. It states that this church was built before the Orr Square church and rebuilt in 1881. I think that it is possible that the Orr Square church was remodeled in 1888 which would explain the similarities between the two churches or possibly the architected reused the details for the hall at Orr Square for this building.

Earlier there was a question about whether the architect of the Thomas Muir Memorial Hall and the Orr Square Church (originally the Free High Church) were the same. I can find no reference as to the architect of the Orr Square church and the history of the Oakshaw Trinity list the architect of Orr Square as 'unknown'.

Charles Davidson, the architect of the TM Hall didnt start his practise in Paisley until 1880 so didn't design the original Orr Sq Church. However CD did design the Margaret Brough Memorial Hall in 1888 which is linked to the Orr Square Church. The question is - where is the MB Memorial Hall? I do not think that is a part of the main building we recognise as the Orr Sq Church. The Orr Sq Church had a Mission Hall at the bottom of Storie St. Is this the same building as the MB Memorial Hall?

I am struggling to see any tangible connection between the Renfrew North Church and the Orr Sq Church and their relationship with the Thomas Muir Memorial Hall except possibly the MB Memorial Hall but where is it?

Edited by Sonny

I think the MB would be the church hall to the left/west of the kirk, itself. I was in the 23rd lifeboys then BB for a couple of years and we used the Storie Street halls - and i was in the weans Sunday school upstairs,

Never did I hear that being called the MB..

I'll ask...

Earlier there was a question about whether the architect of the Thomas Muir Memorial Hall and the Orr Square Church (originally the Free High Church) were the same. I can find no reference as to the architect of the Orr Square church and the history of the Oakshaw Trinity list the architect of Orr Square as 'unknown'.

Charles Davidson, the architect of the TM Hall didnt start his practise in Paisley until 1880 so didn't design the original Orr Sq Church. However CD did design the Margaret Brough Memorial Hall in 188 which is linked to the Orr Square Church. The question is - where is the MB Memorial Hall? I do not think that is a part of the main building we recognise as the Orr Sq Church. The Orr Sq Church had a Mission Hall at the bottom of Storie St. Is this the same building as the MB Memorial Hall?

I am struggling to see any tangible connection between the Renfrew North Church and the Orr Sq Church and their relationship with the Thomas Muir Memorial Hall except possibly the MB Memorial Hall but where is it?

Both churches are part of the free church movement. The Church in Orr Square was effectively the "Mother church" for a dioceses that went into Glasgow south side and out in to Houston and bridge of Weir. I would imagine that funds and building projects were arranged centrally. The disruption of 1843 apparently apparently resulted in a massive construction program with a free church being built in every parish. And supposedly this was achieved by 1847. This suggests that the initial free church at Orr Square is unlikely to have been quite as grand as the current edifice. But that is pure speculation no my part.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I don't get this - if it bores you, don't read it, other people enjoy it and they're doing no-one any harm. Not saying you don't have the right or any of that stuff, and not trying to start a fight, but the thread's interesting (for some) so I'm not sure what you think you're adding?

Edited by salmonbuddie