Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

up in the corner of big hoose road, no idea what it's use is though, could be a stable block or garage possibly the house belonged to a merchant who imported exotic fruit, or as per blutos' link just a sign of wealth or an architects trademark

Edited by buddiecat

up in the corner of big hoose road, no idea what it's use is though, could be a stable block or garage possibly the house belonged to a merchant who imported exotic fruit, or as per blutos' link just a sign of wealth or an architects trademark

Well done Peter.Is that the house on the bend that has the wee summer house in the garden?

Translated:

Next to the rail line at junction of

Greenlaw/verdant hill

mhr/mansion house road. smile.png

wonder if it had something to do with the old "dummy railway" it's not the site of the paisley east station on that line but might have been part of a goods yard ? but probably just some well off dude with a fancy outhouse

wonder if it had something to do with the old "dummy railway" it's not the site of the paisley east station on that line but might have been part of a goods yard ? but probably just some well off dude with a fancy outhouse

Garage.... However check out its date.

Much older than vehicles...

Eta: much older than I could have imagined.

Late 18c.

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/sc-39045-38-mansion-house-road-garage-

Late 18c.

yes much older than i'd have thought too, suggests on that page that it may have been a garden building for greenlaw house, which is listed at 30 mhr, looked on the bing birds eye view tab and it looks like it was prob part of the land for greenlaw house but newer houses built between the two now, and i reckon that the flat roof building behind it is the railway club

Well done guys. PICTURE 120 is indeed the garage for a private house in Mansionhouse Road. Bluto has already given you the Listed Buildings link. The following information was provided by 'Paisley - Oor Wee Toun'

'It turns out that this building is the old coach-house of the former Greenlaw House Mansion (1774, belonged to Robert Corse, the building still stands, but has been separated into flats). Greenlaw House is on Mansionhouse Road, the road itself perhaps named after said ‘Mansion’. Someone told me years ago that they had heard of a connection between this building (garage/coach-house) and the Abbey, so I was intrigued for years before bothering to find out more!

There may well be a connection, as the archaeological investigations in the 1990's around the 'Discovery of the Drain' at Paisley Abbey certainly prompted a lot of enquiry, opening old questions about how the water management system had been run by the monks of old, and how this may have extended beyond the Abbey's boundaries in the central part of the town. There is allegedly a drain under the house which now has this building in its' garden, but whetherthis alleged drain is connected to the excavated Paisley Abbey drain we may never know. A fascinating chapter by Ian Orkney in 'The Monastery and Abbey of Paisley', details what is called the 'Dowser's Tale'.

In this chapter, he talks of how the monks made use of the 'Lady' or 'Cluny Burn' for water, and not the Hammils or more obvious water sources, as we might expect. It seems that the clever monks augmented their water supply by using the output from further springs, such as that at Mansionhouse/Greenlaw, the latter having come down from the hill in Barshaw. As Orkney states in his chapter, the only way of confirming would be excavation in the area of this posh garage, so of course we will probably never know for sure! The chapter is worth a read for those interested. The book mentioned is published by Renfrewshire Local History Forum '

post-2737-0-52570100-1363307265_thumb.jp

It dawned on me that other than landmark trust's pineapple house at Drumore, there had to be mention of other similar buildings.

I googled, but it took a helluva lot of digging to find - mainly cos of a gift shop in Minnesota... Paisley pineapple. Sheeeesh!

Try it. V hard.

If I had access to google street view I could have checked, but I don't have. Mansion House Road made me think that was a good guess. I don't recall ever seeing it. Next time I'm in toon, mibbe. A nice wee wander.

It dawned on me that other than landmark trust's pineapple house at Drumore, there had to be mention of other similar buildings.

I googled, but it took a helluva lot of digging to find - mainly cos of a gift shop in Minnesota... Paisley pineapple. Sheeeesh!

Try it. V hard.

If I had access to google street view I could have checked, but I don't have. Mansion House Road made me think that was a good guess. I don't recall ever seeing it. Next time I'm in toon, mibbe. A nice wee wander.

No you couldn't on street view you only get a glimpse of the building and not enough to have been certain. However the castilated gable is clearly visible on the satilite view,

I'm just grumpy cos I never got it.

Try it. V hard.

i used to make the excuse that i had something in my eye to get off school and got sent to the eye infirmary down that street, and went in got an eyepatch and a wry smile from the nurse, then went out and wandered about before going back to school , i remember thinking at the time that it was an old castle

i used to make the excuse that i had something in my eye to get off school and got sent to the eye infirmary down that street, and went in got an eyepatch and a wry smile from the nurse, then went out and wandered about before going back to school , i remember thinking at the time that it was an old castle

Sorry Peter,I thought you had got it from blutos clue.:(

Late 18c.

Cheezuz! Check oot the descrpition of that magnificent building... I've learnt a few new words today!

Later 18th century outbuilding. Gothick Ashlar front with

rusticated quoins, partly vermiculated. Clustered

colonnettes flank straight-headed pend with moulded ogee

decoration over. Cornice above interrupted by 2 carved

obelisks capped by pineapples over colonnettes. Blind

quatrefoil in centre of battlemented gable. Colonnetted

birdcage bellcote with weathervane. Slate roof.

Well done guys. PICTURE 120 is indeed the garage for a private house in Mansionhouse Road. Bluto has already given you the Listed Buildings link. The following information was provided by 'Paisley - Oor Wee Toun'

'It turns out that this building is the old coach-house of the former Greenlaw House Mansion (1774, belonged to Robert Corse, the building still stands, but has been separated into flats). Greenlaw House is on Mansionhouse Road, the road itself perhaps named after said ‘Mansion’. Someone told me years ago that they had heard of a connection between this building (garage/coach-house) and the Abbey, so I was intrigued for years before bothering to find out more!

There may well be a connection, as the archaeological investigations in the 1990's around the 'Discovery of the Drain' at Paisley Abbey certainly prompted a lot of enquiry, opening old questions about how the water management system had been run by the monks of old, and how this may have extended beyond the Abbey's boundaries in the central part of the town. There is allegedly a drain under the house which now has this building in its' garden, but whetherthis alleged drain is connected to the excavated Paisley Abbey drain we may never know. A fascinating chapter by Ian Orkney in 'The Monastery and Abbey of Paisley', details what is called the 'Dowser's Tale'.

In this chapter, he talks of how the monks made use of the 'Lady' or 'Cluny Burn' for water, and not the Hammils or more obvious water sources, as we might expect. It seems that the clever monks augmented their water supply by using the output from further springs, such as that at Mansionhouse/Greenlaw, the latter having come down from the hill in Barshaw. As Orkney states in his chapter, the only way of confirming would be excavation in the area of this posh garage, so of course we will probably never know for sure! The chapter is worth a read for those interested. The book mentioned is published by Renfrewshire Local History Forum '

looking closely at that photo and I'm sure theres wooden Venetian Blinds behind the windows... Somebody lives in it? Lucky sod... or maybe not...