Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

That was PICTURE 120, the Garage on Mansionhouse Road if anyone wants to look back.... :)

I think I've already mentioned this on another part of the tread, Turned out out to be someones garage,

Crenelated gables, episcopal architecture (reviving jacobian and restoration architectural styles)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on a wee project of photographing old or unusual buildings in Paisley as Paisley has some absolutely great architecture. I am also photographing places of local interest.

I thought I would post one of the images every few days. These images will initially have no information. However, to test your local knowledge, I would be grateful if someone else could identify and provide the name and location of the building; mention anything about its history or any memories you may have with the building or place.

For the FFF's it may bring a tear (or remind you why you left). For everyone else it may bring you a smile, some good memories or improve your local history. Some images will be very easy and beyond identification and other images may be more taxing.

The first image (in this long series) should not be too hard for most of you to identify -

PICTURE 1

I have been working on a wee project of photographing old or unusual buildings in Paisley as Paisley has some absolutely great architecture. I am also photographing places of local interest.

I thought I would post one of the images every few days. These images will initially have no information. However, to test your local knowledge, I would be grateful if someone else could identify and provide the name and location of the building; mention anything about its history or any memories you may have with the building or place.

For the FFF's it may bring a tear (or remind you why you left). For everyone else it may bring you a smile, some good memories or improve your local history. Some images will be very easy and beyond identification and other images may be more taxing.

The first image (in this long series) should not be too hard for most of you to identify -

PICTURE 1

In the 60's it was Slumberland's mattress factory

The JNI Scout Hall was in Arthur St directly across from the modele , I think the modele is the taller building to the right of the shot, it had bars in the windows , quite scary looking. The Scout Hall must just be out of pic to the right ?

The JNI Scout Hall was in Arthur St directly across from the modele , I think the modele is the taller building to the right of the shot, it had bars in the windows , quite scary looking. The Scout Hall must just be out of pic to the right ?

The Beild (shelter) as the 7th Paisley Scout Hall was called was located on the waste ground opposite the warehouse. Opposite the Model Lodging House was tenements

PICTURE 129 is the Scottish Episcopal Curch of The Holy Trinity & St Barnabas. Now on the one-way system at the start of Love St. Built 1833. Appears to be unlisted. Originally the Holy Trinity with the Episcopal Church in Queen St (St Barnabas) merging with the Holy Trinity in 2004.

Further info here.... http://www.paisley.org.uk/paisley-history/church-holy-trinity-st-barnabas/

I am sure I am not alone in walking past that church for more years than I care to remember every second Saturday and not even knowing its name.

post-2737-0-97259200-1376565677_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly I saw a lovely tenement in that Street, last time I was up.

I'm in the vicinity the day, so I will recheck. :)

Sorry for delayed input.

ps

Great weather for the Paisley 10k - runners just currently trundling down Camphill and across Canal Street

Renfrewshire Open Days are on Sat 14th and Sun 15th September 2013.

Well worth taking part as I'm sure Sonny and co will agree.

This is one of the finest threads ever in General Nonsense.

Apologies if these news items have already been posted.

Cheers for the info Slash. I knew it was Sept but I have been so busy recently I forgot to look up the dates.

I visited quite a few places last year with the Anchor Mills being the highspot for me. Well worth checking out some great buildings when you can. Place of Paisley is also worth a visit being one of the oldest buildings in our fine town.

And thanks for the praise of the thread. The contributions from everyone have made it an interesting journey.

Edit to add:

Here is the link to what is available to view in Paisley with a few new additions this year. Note that our Club has now joined in so get a visit around the stadium for free (this is for you Shull).

http://www.doorsopendays.org.uk/opendays/area_programmes.aspx?Page=2&areaid=32&resPP=10

Edited by Sonny

• 5 weeks later...

PICTURE 131 shows the side of the builing in Silk St at the corner of Gauze street. Officially designated as 29-31 Gauze Street in the Listed Buildings Register. B Listed. Built 1783. Don't know much else about it. I walked past it many a time and never realised it was so old.

post-2737-0-15340700-1380363714_thumb.jp