Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

I've an 'inkling' you been scouting around Paisley looking for more places to take pictures of Sonny?

Your inkling is along the right lines Eddy although I still have a good few pics to post. Just havn't had the time and my enthusiasm for football isn't too great at the moment so not been on the site as much recently :)

When is the book getting published Sonny?

Still the best thread on the website.

Thanks for the kind words Slash.

I would like to put something together at some point. I would re-shoot many of the shots as the conditions were not always favourable when I was out and about.

I am always going on about some of the great buildings in Paisley so it would be nice if there was a reasonably priced book with some info so we can talk up some aspects of this town of ours. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sonny - did we nearly lose those buildings during thier refurbishment ? ( around 20 years ago?) During the refurb all that was really left was the front facing facade and i seem to remember at the time talk of it being unstable to the point it might have to be brought down.

Yes we did my granny lived in No1 Goudie the factor was in that close as well, there was a crack down the Hunter street side of the building,

Picture 132 is the Abbey Mission Hall in Lawn St. Only C Listed and considering it was the great TG himself that designed it surely it should be at least a B :) ? Built in 1893 on the site of a previous school. Still used today as the Church Hall for the Abbey.

post-2737-0-12436800-1382106750_thumb.jp

Picture 133 is below. It is B Listed and now in the Buildings At Risk Register which is no wonder considering the state it is in. Unfortunately it was set on fire by some bampots a few years ago. Someone did offer to renovate it relatively recently but sadly the deal fell through. Where is it?

post-2737-0-27875400-1382108249_thumb.jp

Guest somner9

Picture 133 is below. It is B Listed and now in the Buildings At Risk Register which is no wonder considering the state it is in. Unfortunately it was set on fire by some bampots a few years ago. Someone did offer to renovate it relatively recently but sadly the deal fell through. Where is it?

Oh lordy! pick a bale of cotton

If someone spent money on it, it would look great! It's just in its present condition I can imagine teenagers using it as a drinking den or a place to try their hand with their girlfriends only for something scary to jump out.

Add your own punchline at this point..........

PICTURE 133 is indeed the superintendent's house at Dykebar. Well done Vambo57 and Lethal 89.

B Listed. Built 1909 and designed by who else - the great TG himself. Dykebar was built as the Renfrew District Asylum; a colony-type mental hospital with several separate buildings. Newer buildings have been added.

Dykebar was built to serve Renfrewshire with the exception of the burghs of Paisley and Johnstone, both of which already had mental hospital provision. When opened, the hospital comprised the central administration block plus hospital admission wings on each side, two male and two female villas and a reception house, together with medical superintendent's house and the service buildings, and the lodge. In 1914, the nurses' home and a further two villas were added to the site. Large additions opened 1975.

The superintendent's house was firedamaged in 1993. Someone had plans drawn up in 2008 to buy and re-instate the building for use as a private home but withdrew their offer. So, grab yourself a bit a local history guys as it is still for sale smile.png .

I have some shots of the other buildings which I'll upload.

post-2737-0-79311600-1382696404_thumb.jp

Some more of the Dykebar buildings. The 3rd one is the Nurses Home :) but I am unsure of the exact use of some of the others. Some look boarded up which is a great pity as they are fine looking and solid buildings. Others look little used. The new buildings were the only ones with any great sign of activity.

post-2737-0-74871100-1382698873_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-70409900-1382698901_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-55651300-1382698943_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-84408300-1382698984_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-04752100-1382699023_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-37786200-1382699075_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-23005100-1382699106_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-37946800-1382699156_thumb.jp