Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Rumours of my demise have been greatly exagerated smile.png

My apologies for the long delay in posting. My workload has been extremely busy the last few months but there are still plenty in store in this wee series.

So, back on track with no pun intended :) ...

PIC 134 is indeed the railway bridge over Underwood Rd. B Listed. Built in 1840 for the Paisley-Greenock line. 3 arches. Also supports St Mirren :)

post-2737-0-51403800-1394711648_thumb.jp

In 1840 the Railway men took the advice of the Brahan Seer (see Bluto's post elsewhere) and named their nice new Station in the centre of Pailsey as Gilmour St Station in honour of our current chairman. Pic 135.

It was a main componenet on the

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow,_Paisley,_Kilmarnock_and_Ayr_Railway .

I no longer live in Paisley and only occasionally use Gilmour St but always think of it as a wonderful building. I can rememebr a journalist commenting on the exit signs which state 'Way Out Town Centre' - has Paisley town centre ever been that way out? Always thought it was kind of conservative myself.

Have many happy memories as a kid heading to to the Ayrshire coast for a holiday and seeing the sea for the first time then later in life getting the last train home from a drunken night out in Glasgow.

post-2737-0-39578300-1395087298_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-94155200-1395087541_thumb.jp

In 1840 the Railway men took the advice of the Brahan Seer (see Bluto's post elsewhere) and named their nice new Station in the centre of Pailsey as Gilmour St Station in honour of our current chairman. Pic 135.

It was a main componenet on the

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow,_Paisley,_Kilmarnock_and_Ayr_Railway .

I no longer live in Paisley and only occasionally use Gilmour St but always think of it as a wonderful building. I can rememebr a journalist commenting on the exit signs which state 'Way Out Town Centre' - has Paisley town centre ever been that way out? Always thought it was kind of conservative myself.

Have many happy memories as a kid heading to to the Ayrshire coast for a holiday and seeing the sea for the first time then later in life getting the last train home from a drunken night out in Glasgow.

And queuing up, meeting Buddies, for trains to Internationals at Hampden.