Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Ok, Ta, Tony. smile.png

Straight opposite Maxwellton Street was a row of tenements, between william Street and John Street before you reach King Street.

They blasted a route through that (and the gasworks) to create that new road - Gallow Green(?). smile.png

Here's an auld map that helps show how it looked, buddyholly9.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74964128

Dead easy to see with iPad, just expand the wee bit of map, of interest. My old eyes couldnae cope with the laptop view and lack of flexible magnification.

That's a cracking old map... a lot of interesting things there!

A canal full of water! John Street as discusse above, the gas works plant at th new ground was there in a previous guise, craigielee cottage was there, which is at the bottom of Blackstoun Oval these day think, then lookng at Albion street, it's tiny!!! and Wellington stret hadbeen chopped by that time to mk way for the railway.

I knew it.

We've been here before - do keep up, buddyholly!!!!

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/33391-paisley-my-pics-of-old-or-unusual-buildings-or-places-of-interest/page-4#entry928499

Go there for sonny's pic and other chatter.

I'm like a goldfish.... smile.png

<((((><

Cheers bud - and didn't want to take this thread of track slightly but seems like good Paisley town chat in here.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. With all the great places in Paisley this thread should run for some time.

I was born in Hannay St (no more) which was off Well St. My mother done loads of her shopping (or I was sent!) in the Galbraiths just round and on the corner on Well St. On the other corner of that block was a butcher's shop (Watson's?) on the corner of Arthur St where the Modele (sp) was - a huge slum for the homeless. As a boy I used to see all the poor old guys staggering down Well St and into Arthur St looking for a bed for the night. Cannot find a pic of it. Would be grateful to see one if anyone can find one.

My Dad still calls a street of Well St Hannay St! Not sure if he's talking about Brown Street ? He also says that modelle lodge was the only shop open on a Sunday in those days... that'd be early 50s?

What a find - some interesting spellings but some well known place names. Cracker. No Hippy Chippy then ;-)

Of course not.

In the olden days it was goldfish and ships.

Check the old maps oot!

Eta (that Blaeu has got the fish, bottom right.

Others, the Isles for instance have ye ships.)

It's late.... :rolleyes:

Edited by bluto

My Dad still calls a street of Well St Hannay St! Not sure if he's talking about Brown Street ? He also says that modelle lodge was the only shop open on a Sunday in those days... that'd be early 50s?

We've also talked of The Model. There were old pix of it...

you old guys have kept this going well, but back to the pic - one of the judges from the voice could have a high old time here, he would feel at home but possibly on trial, keep up the old stuff guys i'm intrigued by all your memories of when everything was black and white

Up until now - 136 different buildings - most have been Listed or have local historical significance. This image breaks that trend for now. I passed by this building last week and thought how imposing it looked. No clues - this is it in its full glory smile.png

PICTURE 137

I'm really not sure where this is... bumping the pic back up as I may have steered this slightly offtopic.gif

Guest TPAFKATS

I'm really not sure where this is... bumping the pic back up as I may have steered this slightly offtopic.gif

you old guys have kept this going well, but back to the pic - , one of the judges from the voice could have a high old time here he would feel at home but possibly on trial, keep up the old stuff guys i'm intrigued by all your memories of when everything was black and white

A bit cryptic

A tall story in the East?

a bit more obvious?

• 2 weeks later...

PIC 137 is Williamsburgh Court. Pleasantly surprised by the new appearance as its very unlike our Council to do anything good with buildings.

Where would you find this wonderful series of carvings telling a lovely wee story ..... PICTURE 138

EDIT: Sorry, Not displayed in the correct order that they were uploaded in, but I am sure you can work out the story! smile.png (Should be 4,2,1,3,5,6)

post-2737-0-50175300-1397401926_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-93767100-1397401937_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-43916900-1397401954_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-86718700-1397401984_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-77440200-1397402002_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-04168200-1397402023_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

PIC 137 is Williamsburgh Court. Pleasantly surprised by the new appearance as its very unlike our Council to do anything good with buildings.

Where would you find this wonderful series of carvings telling a lovely wee story ..... PICTURE 138

EDIT: Sorry, Not displayed in the correct order that they were uploaded in, but I am sure you can work out the story! :) (Should be 4,2,1,3,5,6)

I know!

Mah Faither lived there.

Possibly not the most useful clue.... :P

Go east, young Buddie...

:) . My Grannie stayed just round the corner and I must have walked past them a few times and never noticed them. An architect told me about them recently and I went for a look-see and to take some shots. Very impressed with these and the others on display some of which I shall show later.

EDIT: Sorry, Not displayed in the correct order that they were uploaded in, but I am sure you can work out the story! smile.png (Should be 4,2,1,3,5,6)

i lived there, it's a wee lovebirds story in these pics, however the name of the street sounds fishy

Anybody remember the Bus Depot on Gordon Street? Think its got flats on top of where it stood. Also, buses in Paisley seemed so bright when I was a kid, the red & yellow for Clydeside, Black and Orange for Strathclyde, dark red and grey for McGills, orange for Grahams. Its all blue and white and that awful bloody colour scheme that First bus use( robbing b'stards)

Anybody remember the Bus Depot on Gordon Street? Think its got flats on top of where it stood. Also, buses in Paisley seemed so bright when I was a kid, the red & yellow for Clydeside, Black and Orange for Strathclyde, dark red and grey for McGills, orange for Grahams. Its all blue and white and that awful bloody colour scheme that First bus use( robbing b'stards)

my house is built on the bus garage ground - where the buses used to get parked

PICTURE 138 - the love bird set - are carved below the oriel windows of tenements in McKerrel St.

Carvings start on Ladyburn St then into Mckerrel St as far as Crossflat Cresc then they stop for whatever reason. Many are just single one-off carvings but there is one more set on four ages of man - boy, young man, middle aged and old man. Beautiful carvings under tenement windows. Is anyone aware of any other street that has any such carvings?