Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

PICTURE 139. No Clues here guys and the subject is not directly Paisley but there are a couple of Paisley connections.

I am featuring panels from the Great Tapestry of Scotland which went on display yesterday in the Atrium of the Anchor Mills and will be on display until 8th June. For all Shull'ites it is free entry. A great opportunity to see the longest tapestry in the world consisting of 161 panels and to vist the MIlls which are not normally open to the public. The panels feauture the Hisory of Scotland from great events to football matches.

http://scotlandstapestry.com/index.php

The following images give a general idea of what is on offer.

post-2737-0-60190300-1399194993_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-39436500-1399195004_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-92890700-1399195033_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

PICTURE 139 (2) . These feature Pailsey and Linwood/Elderslie (depending on your persuation).

One features the Paisley Pattern, one the MIll Girls, and one the Hillman Imp, Pressed Steel and Ravenscraig. And one which I think features cotton manufacture in general but I may have to do some more research on that.

post-2737-0-18982200-1399195117_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-67318000-1399195139_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-14947900-1399195154_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-69196900-1399195177_thumb.jp

PICTURE 139 (3) . And the best ones. The first is the World Cup of 78 but why we would want to feature that debacle I do not know. The second features the birth of Scottish football and out of the teams listed St Mirren get a mention and I think one of the main strips in the panel is our original blue and red hoops.

The 3rd panel has St Mirren clearly displayed (the Mill Girls panel) smile.png

post-2737-0-31209700-1399195607_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-87158900-1399195622_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-06479800-1399195634_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Blond sand stone it looks domestic at first glance, but I reckon that the hight of roof suggests a deeper building, maybe a church. If I was guessing I'd say a wee free or something probablely build in the early 1800 to mid 18 hundreds. At this point lots of independent churches were springing up. It could be built to provide for some immigrant population.

Very good attempt Insaintee. I know very little about this building. It is not Listed (unless I misread the List). However it's not a church now and I do not believe it ever was. It does sit prominently on a Main Rd in Paisley and looks reasonably old but I have no idea of its history before its current use. All to be revealed shortly :)

Guest TPAFKATS

Very good attempt Insaintee. I know very little about this building. It is not Listed (unless I misread the List). However it's not a church now and I do not believe it ever was. It does sit prominently on a Main Rd in Paisley and looks reasonably old but I have no idea of its history before its current use. All to be revealed shortly smile.png

Very good attempt Insaintee. I know very little about this building. It is not Listed (unless I misread the List). However it's not a church now and I do not believe it ever was. It does sit prominently on a Main Rd in Paisley and looks reasonably old but I have no idea of its history before its current use. All to be revealed shortly smile.png

But is it a Main Rd or the Main Rd?

Is it the Robertson Centre on Glasgow Rd?

Hmm, good shout...but its not right

Edited by TPAFKATS

And the winner is ....... HSS! Well done sir.

PICTURE 140 is indeed the Robertson Centre on Glasgow Rd.

A long time ago my Grannie stayed on Kilnside Rd and I would often walk pass this building. It's use always appeared to be offices however I thought it may have served some other purpose when first built but I cannot find any information on it. Anyone else?

post-2737-0-68354400-1400147739_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

And the winner is ....... HSS! Well done sir.

PICTURE 140 is indeed the Robertson Centre on Glasgow Rd.

A long time ago my Grannie stayed on Kilnside Rd and I would often walk pass this building. It's use always appeared to be offices however I thought it may have served some other purpose when first built but I cannot find any information on it. Anyone else?

It was the HQ of Renfrewshire Education Authority in the 50's and 60's . Don't know anything about it before and after that.

It was the HQ of Renfrewshire Education Authority in the 50's and 60's . Don't know anything about it before and after that.

i believe it's where the renfrewshire joint valuation board is based, i.e they decide what council tax you pay and it's also where you register your details to be on the electoral register

I was involved in making a woolen tapestry for Paisley Abbey during an oil shortage in the early 80's that forced the closure of our school.

IIRC we were schooled in the Abbey for a few days, and as way of thanks we created this tapestry which showcases some of Paisley's history and coat of arms.

I was amazed a few years back at one of the Renfrewshire Open days that this tapestry is still hanging in Paisley Abbey and that we are part of the history of the place.

I think I was quoted as saying "feckin hell - is that thing still in existence!"

We were all encouraged to put our names around the tapestry - if you look close one of them says FTOF and another says COYS.

Will need to get Sonny to try and get a decent picture of it.

ETA - most of this story is true! I'm proud to be a part of the history of an absolutely beautiful building. I never tire of looking around the Abbey.

http://www.paisley.org.uk/attractions/paisley-abbey/

Is this the one Bud?

• 2 months later...

Went there about 1989 with my pal who was a 'Bus Enthusiast' and seemed like quite a wee depot. Had a few Routemasters at the back and remember we got shown a Quicksilver Dennis Dominator with coach seats in it and some noisy Leyland Leopards. Didnt really appreciate it back then but Paisley and Glasgow had lots of colour just with the buses- they all look the same now. Even the 'Bus Entusiasts' are getting bored

My uncle was a mechanic in Gordon Street.... Way back.

In school, they asked what you wanted to be when (if) ye grew up.

I wanted to be a bus driver like my Uncle Robert.

(He went on to become an undertaker. And... Aye, when they asked.... :). )

At 62, I started driving buses.

And I have hit "bottom steps", kerbs, f**kin rocks, grass banking.... It's all in a day's shite driving..... :whistle:

The depot in Gordon Street originally belonged to Youngs Buses who were taken over by Western SMT in 1951. The buses I remember were made by Guy, Leyland and Albion.

The picture below is of one of Youngs buses in its original colours, although the picture was taken in Australia where a number of Youngs buses ened up.

Pic%2011%20Hunter%20Valley%20town%20of%2

Remember it? I used to work there. Lost count of how many times buses hit the bottom of the tenement steps inside the archway (it was actually called something else, not an archway, but I can't recall what at the moment) when turning in from Gordon Street. Eventually the drivers were told that it was only to be used as an exit.

was it called a "the bus pend"

I remember the views from the car parks up the braes and they were always spectacular just like on your photos. Just wish to hell I could remember what I was doing up there.