Petrol

Eddy

Please could all the numpties 1eye.gif who are panic buying petrol today get off the forecourt so I, who's little orange light is blinking furiously, can purchase some in the normal fashion so I can get to my work tomorrow. Grrrrr rifle.gif

Just passed Morrisons and the Shell station at lonend and both a queued out onto the street.

Honestly! just had a conversation with an otherwise sensible adult in my work who insists that even though she put £20 in on Tuesday (enough to last her about 10 days by her estimate) she better go and fill up on the way home 'just in case'.

It didn't seem to matter that I explained that a strike had not been announced, or that they have to give notice before hand, or even that it is people like her who are exacerbating that problem.

Muppetry (where's the kermit emoticon when you need one?)

Panic buying caused by the Government numpties. Telling us today to wait until your tank is half full and then fill up. Just think how much extra tax that is going to the Government. Petrol Stations out Hamilton way also queued out

The government could say whatever they liked, wouldn't make a difference- the media spread the panic.

The government won't gain anything from this anyway- probably lose money. Even though people are filling up tanks now, unlikely they are going to use it at a greater rate- indeed people will start avoiding making extra journeys and driving slower so govt. might well lose money.

The government could say whatever they liked, wouldn't make a difference- the media spread the panic.

The government won't gain anything from this anyway- probably lose money. Even though people are filling up tanks now, unlikely they are going to use it at a greater rate- indeed people will start avoiding making extra journeys and driving slower so govt. might well lose money.

No, it's the clowns who read into it completely wrongly that cause the panic. I also need to fill my car up on Saturday to get to the game - I hope they've fecked off by then.

Not that threads like this on forums do any damage eh???

Morrisons has been queued out since it opened this morning.Best bit is if there is a strike Morrisons will be unaffected as their drivers are in a different union.

They WILL be affected as they will be unable to keep up with demand if they are the only garage in Paisley with deliveries!!

It's getting to the stage with fuel prices, insurance costs, car maintenance, car tax and MOTs combined with the economic downturn that it's probably cheaper for most people to ditch the car and use public transport.

Already the pay at the pumps credit/debit limit is £99 - how long until it is triple figures?

I think as a nation we have become so dependent on having our own transport that we forget that we have the ability to walk, cycle, or use a bus or train. Out of town shopping complexes certainly have not helped.

The greed that was instilled in the UK population during the Thatcher era shows no sign of diminishing. I only hope I can still afford petrol to douse her coffin when she finally departs.

Fixed a wee bit for you.

More and more I'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth having a car at all.

Apart from the cost of fuel, insurance, tax, MOT's, parts, services and repairs, so many people get disproportionally wound up behind the wheel of a car it makes driving in town and motorways a horrible experience.

I live just outside quite a busy junction in Dennistoun and every other time the lights change during busy times, some idiot thinks he has time to go through the red light. Why can't they wait two minutes? What can be so important that they have to endanger the lives of themselves and whoever is just about to go through their green light?

ETA: will bus companies be affected if the drivers go on strike?

Edited by RossTheBoss

ETA: will bus companies be affected if the drivers go on strike?

Depends. Some smaller companies fill up at garages so will be affected, however most have tanks at their depots. If strike is long, yes they will be affected but shorter strikes it is unlikely. Same goes for trains since majority are diesel powered.

They WILL be affected as they will be unable to keep up with demand if they are the only garage in Paisley with deliveries!!

Yep, they'll be coining it in and offering £50 of free groceries with every top up. Meanwhile I've just come from Asda Govan where the fuel station is queued right round the car park. Most pumps are taped off as they are empty, I've limped home on vapours and can't get in anywhere thanks to these panic merchants. thumbdown.gif

I think as a nation we have become so dependent on having our own transport that we forget that we have the ability to walk or use a bus or train. Out of town shopping complexes certainly have not helped.

Not really - I think more people are now turning to public transport for various reasons.

However, it's not always cheaper and is often more inconvenient. For example, a return on the train for a 45-minute journey between Glasgow and Edinburgh is 21 fecking pounds. That's ridiculous. You can do that on about £10-£15 petrol easy, even at today's prices. On the flip side, on Megabus, it's about £3.50 standard single fare between the two cities. Now that IS good value for money - the only problem being that it generally takes longer than both the car and the train.

Similarly, the pricing can be really disproportionate to the distance you're going. I know of some bus fares which cost £2 more just to stay on for another town 10 minutes along the road - that's despite the fact you've already made a 40 or 50-minute journey before getting to the previous town. So, essentially, it's about £1.50 for three-quarters of the journey, then another £2 or more for the other quarter. That kind of thing hardly encourages people to use public transport.

Edited by Sunny Saint

They're panic buying all over Northern Ireland. All our petrol comes from the mainland, a lot of it from Scotland. It can be an added complication as the stuff has to get on the ships in Scotland in the first place. The loyalist strikes were successful in large part due to petrol drying up.

On the bright side, the bampots on both sides don't need nearly as much as they used to for their firebombs and Molotov Cocktails.

Electric cars are the future.

Having said that it's pretty hilarious to see people stupid enough to panic buy when clearly there is no strike date yet.

That will require 7 days notice. Therefore all those muppets buying now should know that even if the date is announced tonight they will have run out of fuel again by the time the strike starts. In other words, panic buying at this stage is bloody stupid.

Electric cars are the future.

Having said that it's pretty hilarious to see people stupid enough to panic buy when clearly there is no strike date yet.

That will require 7 days notice. Therefore all those muppets buying now should know that even if the date is announced tonight they will have run out of fuel again by the time the strike starts. In other words, panic buying at this stage is bloody stupid.

Indeed yet the government will continue to talk the talk about greener motors, yet does nothing about it. Bit similar to how smoking will never get banned, whitehall are loving the intake from the pumps, conceed it does damage, yet won't do nothing.

The Hydrogen powered car looks interesting(althogh I don;t know lots about it) popular in California, and the electric car would sell IF the government really wanted to push it out and provide insentives to switch.