10000Hours Statement On Recent Events

10000hours

What we are seeing is the consequences of that Sky TV money not being put to a sustainable use in the Scottish game. Instead of investing in decent youth programmes and initiatives that brought more kids into football grounds, the TV money was pissed up against a wall as clubs fell over themselves to pay ridiculous sums of money to anyone with a foreign sounding name who owned a pair of football boots.

It is the short termism that SPL Chairmen have applied to everything that is the problem here not the TV money.

Yes, it may be short termism and too much is wasted on overpaid players, but that comes from fan expectation as well. Look at if from the point of view of the SPL chairmen:

1.Syphon off the Sky money to youth initiatives then they'll suffer on the park and probably be relegated from the league = fans up in arms.

2. Spend the Sky money to help put a decent team together = happy fans.

They're under pressure to put a team on the park now that wins games now. Striking a balance between that and other interests is not easy.

To me this opposition to Newco on Division 1 is a case of fans having their cake and then eating it. We want our team to be successful, but we don't want Sky money to rule the decision making of the guardians of our club. Unfortunately, you can't have it both it ways.

Edited by Julian Banjos

Yes, it may be short termism and too much is wasted on overpaid players, but that comes from fan expectation as well. Look at if from the point of view of the SPL chairmen:

1.Syphon off the Sky money to youth initiatives then they'll suffer on the park and probably be relegated from the league = fans up in arms.

2. Spend the Sky money to help put a decent team together = happy fans.

They're under pressure to put a team on the park now that wins games now. Striking a balance between that and other interests is not easy.

To me this opposition to Newco on Division 1 is a case of fans having their caking and then eating it. We want our team to be successful, but we don't want Sky money to rule the decision making of the guardians of our club. Unfortunately, you can't have it both it ways.

I don't want Sevco 5088 Zombie Dawn of the Dead Newco anywhere near Division 1 - as previously posted I simply want them (if they are in a fit state to do it in the first place), to apply for the vacant slot in Div 3, as would be the case if it were Hearts, Kilmarnock, Dundee United, or indeed any SPL member club. It really is as simple as that.

In saying that, I am not so stupid as to think life would carry on as before. We had two dis-proportionally large clubs in this country. Losing one of them is a financial blow, a big financial blow. However, Scottish football needs to face that blow head-on, just as we did when Setanta went tits-up, or as an individual club, when we have faced relegation in the past.

It is patently absurd to 'bend over and take it up the jacksie' for Sevco 5088 Zombie Dawn of the Dead Newco. This is what we actually need....

A two-team SPL, Celtic and Sevco 5088 Zombie Dawn of the Dead Newco. 36 games, 18 at Celtic Park, 18 at Cathkin Park, or Govan Pitz Supersoccer... wherever this new creation calls home. All on Sky TV. - Get it sorted Doncaster, before you get sacked, you useless smug-faced git.

Edited by pozbaird

Speak for your spineless self JB....I have given VM notice of my intention to cancel as have many other football fans according to the 'well supporting contact centre chap who called me back about it.

I would imagine SKY are getting even more notices to cancel. Just because you haven't done it doesn't mean other fans haven't. I did that before I renewed my season ticket.

Ah! Mr.Murdoch. Wouldn't give him a penny. Wait until we get the TV deal we want. Then cancel.

I cannot make the meeting on Tuesday as much as I would like to as I have an exam on Tuesday evening.

However I voted in the CiC Poll as being against a Newco being admitted to anywhere in Scottish football except via an application for Division Three. This is not about ant-Rangers it is about a corrupt League and bullying behaviour. The recent comments about the farce of this situation by some SFL Chairmen are to be applauded.

I would prefer to see St Mirren play in the lower Divisions with integrity than in a corrupt SPL. If a Newco is allowed I want a refund on my Season Ticket and will withdraw from the CiC.

I find that many others share my viewpoint and if a vote is required I give Drew permission to cast a proxy vote for me.

I cannot make the meeting on Tuesday as much as I would like to as I have an exam on Tuesday evening.

However I voted in the CiC Poll as being against a Newco being admitted to anywhere in Scottish football except via an application for Division Three. This is not about ant-Rangers it is about a corrupt League and bullying behaviour. The recent comments about the farce of this situation by some SFL Chairmen are to be applauded.

I would prefer to see St Mirren play in the lower Divisions with integrity than in a corrupt SPL. If a Newco is allowed I want a refund on my Season Ticket and will withdraw from the CiC.

I find that many others share my viewpoint and if a vote is required I give Drew permission to cast a proxy vote for me.

He doesn't posses a season ticket, I'll vote for you punk.gif

One of my colleagues has just given me an interesting bit of info that makes a couple of missing pieces fall into place for me. It seems that Sky could be due a REFUND of some of the money from the last TV deal. This is money that has already been paid out to member clubs by the SPL and which has, in most cases, been spent. A "significant" portion of this had been paid out to Rangers by the SPL and since the SPL would be Rangers creditor the money outstanding back to Sky falls with the SPL and the member clubs. Don't know how reliable the info is but it may shed some light on a bit of the panic

One of my colleagues has just given me an interesting bit of info that makes a couple of missing pieces fall into place for me. It seems that Sky could be due a REFUND of some of the money from the last TV deal. This is money that has already been paid out to member clubs by the SPL and which has, in most cases, been spent. A "significant" portion of this had been paid out to Rangers by the SPL and since the SPL would be Rangers creditor the money outstanding back to Sky falls with the SPL and the member clubs. Don't know how reliable the info is but it may shed some light on a bit of the panic

I believe this may also be the case for other sponsors too. The pitch starting to come from the SPL clubs is that if the sposors / commercial partners walk away the SPL will owe them cash. Basically the SPL clubs have done a ticketus with the sponsorship money.

we will find out eventually who it was that thought Scottish football would allow the GTD to waltz into division 1

but we must ensure our own club remains in business.

I guess what I am trying to say is the cheating Bastards need hammered but we need to find a way to do it without destroying our own club in the process!! there will be a way to do it we just need to be innovative

Mr Doncaster over at the SPL probably couldn't even spell the word.

nothing higher than division 3 is acceptable no return at all would be preferable

Matt's dad

We should take our lead from the Dung and others, and make a clear statement that St Mirren's view is that the newco needs to reapply to the 3rd division and that we aren't interested in any fudging of the rules or deals being done to accomodate the newco over other applicants to the SFL.

Instead it looks like we are going to get two x meetings telling us why we need to back the newco. I hope the BoD and 10000 HOurs are funding these meetings out of their own pockets.

I believe this may also be the case for other sponsors too. The pitch starting to come from the SPL clubs is that if the sposors / commercial partners walk away the SPL will owe them cash. Basically the SPL clubs have done a ticketus with the sponsorship money.

I'm sure this will be the astonishing "fact" that will suddenly be revealed on Tuesday night.

It's akin to a husband telling his wife he's drunk all his wages for the week and he can't afford to pay the mortgage, but it's alright he's found her a street corner with plenty of passing trade and if she just puts on that short skirt in time for the lads coming out of the pub she might just about be able to pull a few punters so he can continue to sit in the house in front of the telly.

I'm sure this will be the astonishing "fact" that will suddenly be revealed on Tuesday night.

It's akin to a husband telling his wife he's drunk all his wages for the week and he can't afford to pay the mortgage, but it's alright he's found her a street corner with plenty of passing trade and if she just puts on that short skirt in time for the lads coming out of the pub she might just about be able to pull a few punters so he can continue to sit in the house in front of the telly.

Get your point but will they really walk away?....IMHO no ..It will cause great upheaval to do so now. They will become tainted(there's a good word!) with the collapse of the game. Better to stick it out for PR reasons short term then make a decision next season.

Get your point but will they really walk away?....IMHO no ..It will cause great upheaval to do so now. They will become tainted(there's a good word!) with the collapse of the game. Better to stick it out for PR reasons short term then make a decision next season.

Sponsors and TV companies? Aye. They don't need Scottish Football and they don't need St Mirren.

As I've said look what happened to UK Wrestling when Shirley Crabtree finally admitted that bouts were fixed. Sure we all thought there was pantomime to the whole thing, but the impression that wrestlers were pissing themselves laughing at their fans whilst cashing in on everyone's gullibility left them without a following in the UK and without a TV deal. Scottish Football is at a precipice - if I was a business I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the corrupt self interested bodies that are running the game.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Sponsors and TV companies? Aye. They don't need Scottish Football and they don't need St Mirren.

As I've said look what happened to UK Wrestling when Shirley Crabtree finally admitted that bouts were fixed. Sure we all thought there was pantomime to the whole thing, but the impression that wrestlers were pissing themselves laughing at their fans whilst cashing in on everyone's gullibility left them without a following in the UK and without a TV deal. Scottish Football is at a precipice - if I was a business I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the corrupt self interested bodies that are running the game.

Maybe this is the point... Perhaps, by showing some backbone and a good degree of integrity and transparency, this will actually be an attractor to sponsorship and corporate finance. The "say yes to anything for the sake of SKY" is all well and good for this season, or next. But inevitably these things have a shelf life. If Scottish football sells out to pimp Murdoch now, when he gets bored, what's left for our clubs?

Maybe this is the point... Perhaps, by showing some backbone and a good degree of integrity and transparency, this will actually be an attractor to sponsorship and corporate finance. The "say yes to anything for the sake of SKY" is all well and good for this season, or next. But inevitably these things have a shelf life. If Scottish football sells out to pimp Murdoch now, when he gets bored, what's left for our clubs?

KTF, I am a great believer in "doing the right thing" and that if you do you'll reap the benefits at a later date so I would be tempted to say I agree with you.

I personally think the SPL has been an absolute disaster for the game in Scotland and as a St Mirren supporter at that time I was extremely angry that John Paton, backed by his Board of Directors, voted the SPL into existence. It looks like all the predictions that were being made by the likes of Hugh Scott - of all people - are proving to have been 100% correct.

I agree that the SPL has been a major disaster but I cannot figure out how St Mirren can be responsible for its foundation. St Mirren were in the first division at that time and, as I recall, the SPL was formed as a breakaway organisation by the clubs of the Scottish Premier Division.