Mark "mavis" Reilly

div

A really sound bloke with an amazing outlook on life.

He reckons this has all changed his life for the better and made him appreciate the things that most people take completely for granted.

Stuff like this makes you realise what is really important in life I reckon.

As others have stated this is a fantastic gesture by the wee man. I am a colleague of Mark and he made a similar gesture to me by giving me his league championship jersey from that season, which he also went out of his way to get players to sign it. I also suggested to him that it should be put to auction on B and W Army to boost the charity sum but he insisted that I had it. He speaks very fondly of his time with St Mirren and is a great story teller of his time as a player. He would be great at after dinner speeches or to be in and around the corporate hospitality on match days. As Div has said above he really does have an amazing approach to life.

As others have stated this is a fantastic gesture by the wee man. I am a colleague of Mark and he made a similar gesture to me by giving me his league championship jersey from that season, which he also went out of his way to get players to sign it. I also suggested to him that it should be put to auction on B and W Army to boost the charity sum but he insisted that I had it. He speaks very fondly of his time with St Mirren and is a great story teller of his time as a player. He would be great at after dinner speeches or to be in and around the corporate hospitality on match days. As Div has said above he really does have an amazing approach to life.

Sounds like he'd be great to have along for a corporate hospitality gig. He could do a talk, share some stories and mix with the punters. A few things could be auctioned off or raffled for the charity, and everyone's a winner! I'd be keen to get along to that.

Norrie has run the story on the official site for us too thumbup2.gif

http://www.saintmirren.net/pages/?p=15623

Have also asked the PDE to run a wee blurb on it.

Brian Caldwell has also been very accommodating and has offered as half time at any home game to do the presentation of the medal.

We are a truly brilliant club with a brilliant support when we are all pulling in the same direction !

Sounds like he'd be great to have along for a corporate hospitality gig. He could do a talk, share some stories and mix with the punters. A few things could be auctioned off or raffled for the charity, and everyone's a winner! I'd be keen to get along to that.

There are some stories that shouldn't be heard though biggrin.png

There are some stories that shouldn't be heard though biggrin.png

I have had the pleasure of Mark's company and generosity too. An absolute gentleman.I could sit and listen to all his football stories all day long but as you say, there are some stories not for a public forum whistling.gif

Great work Div

Hope the club do him proud too clap2.gif

Edited by Greenhill Road

I would like to again say a massive thanks to all the buddies that very kindly donated to Rett Syndrome. The kindness and generosity shown by you all has been very humbling and very much appreciated by myself and my family.

We have been amazed at the number of buddies who have donated and the monies received. When times are tough for everyone financially in the current climate ,it is even more amazing.

As I have said before my couple of years at Saints were fantastic times not only in my football career but in my life.

It was a honor to have played with a fantastic club with a great history and be part of a successful period for the club where everyone played their part from directors, management, players, staff and of course you guys,the fans.

I have memories that no one can take away, so donating my medal was the very least I could do to show my appreciation for all the kindness shown by you all.

I just wish I could give you all a medal for your generosity but I only got 2 and my good pal has the other one !

Rett syndrome is a very rare condition and I am sure that there are other children out there that have it and have not been diagnosed. There will be a cure one day and you can all be very proud that you have contributed towards funding that cure.

A special thanks to Div for the work you have put in to raise awareness of Rett Syndrome and my pal Greenhill Road and his family for their support, especially to his daughter Louise who is a star!!

God Bless you all. Mavis

I saw the story on the official site, went to Mark's just giving page and read it, then ended up spending hours last night reading about Rett syndrome. I have to say that the smile on his wee girl's face really melted my heart. She looks like the happiest wee girl in the world! And this in spite of the difficulties she obviously has to overcome every single day. Obviously I made a donation, but I wanted to do more than that after I read about the charity and the difficulties it has in attracting government funding and so really relying on private donations and campaigns like what Mark has done.

I contacted the charity to ask them to send me a running vest (a few of you might know from the official forum that I do a wee bit of running and have previously run for charities related to other neurological conditions), and I'm going to do some 5k's, 10k's and half marathons for the Rett Syndrome Research Trust UK starting this Sunday with the Kilmacolm half marathon. I've already set up a just giving page now which I'll be persuading my family and friends to donate to (managed to raise the princely sum of £25 so far!!), but I won't post it here as of course I think that all Saints fans should make their donations through Mark's page where he's already managed to raise a phenomenal amount! I know that whatever I manage to raise won't even come close, but hopefully it'll be enough to make a difference.

I'd like to thank Mark for opening my eyes to this cause, and if there is any other local activity or are any future local events related to the charity I'd be happy to help out in any way that I can.

Edited by zurich_allan

Allan that is fantastic what you are doing! I'm pleased that Rett Syndrome and Dionne has touched your heart .

To raise funds for Retts Research is a fantastic gesture, hopefully in the future there will be a cure and some wee princess will benefit from the awareness and funds raised by amazing people like yourself.

The experts predict that it will be the first curable neurological disorder, but that will only be possible if there is a greater awareness of Rett Syndrome.

People like yourself give all the wee princesses out there and those still to be born , hope for the future!

Well done and Good luck !

Thanks Mark and Div, though you're too kind - I'm able to run and enjoy myself, so there's no reason that I shouldn't be helping out whilst I'm doing it trying to raise awareness (and some money) for many young girls who can't. It's something so many of us take for granted until we're faced with a situation where we realise that others aren't always as fortunate as ourselves. I was reading about the success with mice in the clinical trials last night, so hopefully as you say, it won't be long before there will be a proper cure for the conditions in humans, maybe in time to benefit Dionne. :) I'll post how I get on in the half marathon on Sunday - the charity vest won't be here in time for that, but I'll be running something else within a couple of weeks anyway, so will make sure I wear it at my remaining races this year. Either way I'll be running for the trust. Once I've got a couple of race photos of me wearing the vest at a race or two I'll post up a couple of pictures.

As I say, I'll be looking out to help in other ways in the future if I'm able to as well.

Well, I finished the Kilmacolm half marathon today in 1hr 45m 34s, coming in 39th place, and managed to raise a wee bit of money for the charity (not much considering it's only a couple of days since I set the page up, but should be good for future races!), though hopefully will raise a lot more in the coming weeks and months.holiday.gif

Well, I finished the Kilmacolm half marathon today in 1hr 45m 34s, coming in 39th place, and managed to raise a wee bit of money for the charity (not much considering it's only a couple of days since I set the page up, but should be good for future races!), though hopefully will raise a lot more in the coming weeks and months.holiday.gif

Nice day for it!!! Was over at the gowf club the back of 12 and it was chucking it down big time.