Personal Car Registration Numbers.

shull

Just heard plate number ' X1 ' is up for auction.

Seller looking for around one million pounds for it.

I'll gie it a miss.

I heard them talk about it on the radio this morning. Apparently the plate was one of the first ever issued in the UK but the motoring expert said he thought the reason for the high asking price wasn't that they wanted to sell it for £1m but rather that they wanted everyone to be talking about it.

I have to say I've never seen the point in personal plates myself. You don't even get to see them when you are driving your car.

You'll never get away with baw-baggery dangerous driving, speeding or any other criminal activity if you've got a personalised plate! every bugger remembers it, "aye officer the reg was D1CK H3AD"

I remember a few years back the DVLA had an ad for an upcoming auction of number plates and R1 DER was the star plate of the day.They were expecring the Horsey crowd to be out in their droves for that one,never looked to see what it went for.

Bidding to start at £100,000.bangin.gif And that was 10 years ago .....I think.

One of the most famous British plates was the Saint's car ( Ironically) his Volvo with ST1.

It was an Inverness plate but they didn't own it so the car was never on public roads..........apparently.

Edited by thomsons dropped it

Years ago I was driving up the M5 to Birmingham and the whole motorway seemed to be full of pretty fancy cars. Rollers, Jags, Daimlers- you name it.I noticed that they were all full of Asian people. Then a roller with twp police outriders zoomed past. The reg. was PAK1. I read about it the following day and it was a society wedding of some mega-rich Pakistani couple. The Roller with that reg.was the Pakistani Ambassador. I wonder if it's still used by him with the connotation that word has nowadays. It did back then too.

There was a spud wholesaler in Ayrshire over 40 years ago who had the Reg: POT 80. I read it in the Sunday Post.... and it took me ages before I figured out why he'd want to buy that number plate. 1eye.gif

And I used to work for a firm whose CEO was driven about in a limo with the reg: BPO 1 L

It's harmless and the DVLA now raise dosh from it.

There was a spud wholesaler in Ayrshire over 40 years ago who had the Reg: POT 80. I read it in the Sunday Post.... and it took me ages before I figured out why he'd want to buy that number plate. 1eye.gif

And I used to work for a firm whose CEO was driven about in a limo with the reg: BPO 1 L

Those are decent attempts though compared to some of them.

Was that Shell you worked for then?

Former VW dealer Ian Skelly had VW 1 registration and was offered thousands for it back in the early 80’s from VW.UK. Skelly would not sell so VW UK got a hold of VW 2 which they use to this day for photo shoots of the Golf. Wonder where VW 1 is today have never seen it about for a good few years now. It’s the only registration I have fancied though out my price range .

Can understand a Saints fan wanting something St Mirren but private registrations in general don’t do it for me.