Personal Car Registration Numbers.

shull

I seen P4IS LEY on the M8 (that's the motorway, not text-speak) a few years back.

Not my thing, TBH. Each to his own, though.

That 'Paisley' one overtook me yesterday on the M8 near the Royal Infirmary. Mrs Poz got mine for my 40th birthday as a surprise, instead of, well, the usual I suppose - CDs, chocolate and a mankini.

Wouldn't have got one otherwise, but now it always reminds me of my 40th... and how old I am now. Hurrumph.

The one that I liked the most was the plate our local doctor in Bishopton had...... NHS1

Allegedly he did not have to pay for it as a personal plate., as HS was the suffix for Renfrewshire and with very few people owning cars at that time, it makes that possibility more plausible.

The one that I liked the most was the plate our local doctor in Bishopton had...... NHS1

Allegedly he did not have to pay for it as a personal plate., as HS was the suffix for Renfrewshire and with very few people owning cars at that time, it makes that possibility more plausible.

NHS1 is pre 1963.

By how much, I don't know.

Travelling with my Dad to away matches in the late 60's early 70's, he used to point at other cars and say " that's Saints Fans in that motor going to the game " He said it many times. I asked him how did he know.

He said the XS in their number plate was the Paisley registration.

If you bought a new motor in Barrhead you usually got HS back in the day.

IIRC David Blanes garage owned XS1 to XS10,I lived next to there in Incle Street for a while and would see some of them occasionally so being nosy I asked.

As I said earlier,the ST1 plate from up here is a bit famous,there is another well known local plate NE5 SIE.

It's only in the last ten years or so that the Western Isles has had plates with 666 in them,wouldn't have it before.

I like the paisley one.

Edited by thomsons dropped it

shull's right, Paisley was XS, HS was Glasgow's reg. The last two letters told you where it had been registered, the 'S' meant somewhere in Scotland.

Naw...

Madmitch's informant was right: HS was Renfrewshire.

Glasgow had several other registration letter combos.

It's taken a while but I found a "useful" link for that old stuff...

http://www.wolfbane.com/vreg.htm