The Rugby Thread

shull

I only saw about the last twenty minutes down our club because a crowd of Gunners fans had to see the cup presentation and all the post-match nonsense. When it did come on there were a hell of a lot of guys shouting for Munster. Still smarting from Warriors turning over Ulster last week. Well done Warriors. Made it look relatively easy.

Are you trying to say that there are people in N.I. that support teams other than their local teams? You're crazy, dude!

Aye, and I'm one of them! But to be fair Rugby fans generally are much less partisan than football fans. Munster doesn't even border on Ulster so the buggers could have given us a shout. Anyway, we didn't need their help. A few guys did congratulate me. I had a great game.

I'm back from it. Decent atmosphere, Ravenhill, once you find it buried in the houses, is a cracking ground (apart from the roof not covering the standing areas). I'd love for Saints ground to be like that- standing all round at the front, seating at the back.

No issues at all between the fans and the Ulster fans were great despite their whining last week, happy to chat in town and out and about. Couldn't work out what side the Ulster fans were supporting some seemed to prefer Munster as they were Irish and seemed quiet when Glasgow scored, but others were just enjoying the game and some backing Glasgow. I don't know enough about Ulster fans to know if that is political element!

Not sure what to make of Belfast though. It's a decent enough place to visit but you can sense that some areas still have a bit of tension as you walk though. It's kind of like a small Glasgow, but it seems a bit behind the curve in some areas development compared with say the mainland cities or Dublin. I mean the buses on Saturday night finish at 10:30pm! Perhaps it is due to the political issue in the last 30 years, but they need to keep pushing on to improve. Still enjoyed it and the people were great.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Disappointing from Glasgow tonight losing to Scarlets. Should have done better but difficult with 20 first team players away on World Cup duty.

Good from Scotland tonight despite the result in Paris. 19-16 to France, but in normal circumstances we'd have kicked a straightforward penalty to tie. We ran it as it was a friendly, but probably should have kicked it for ranking points. C'est La Vie. The forwards showed up well and what an effort from Seymour for the Try. Bennett looks a real star. 2 things though- too many silly breakdown penalties. Denton should be shot for that yellow card. Closely followed by Matt f**king Scott for that daft miss pass. You ain't Finn Russell- stick to what you are good at.

• 2 weeks later...

I was down in our local club and the Man City/ West Ham match was on one telly and the rugby on the other. At first most were watching the football but by the second half nearly everybody was hooked on the rugby. When Japan scored that final try the roar nearly blew the roof off. Good luck to Japan. A sensational result and well deserved. If they play like that against us on Wednesday we could be in deep brown stuff.