The Rugby Thread

shull

Oh well, the Aussies it is. After struggling to overcome the sheer physicality of the Samoans I just wonder how we'll do against the Aussies

On the day anything could happen I suppose, quarter finals, now we need to perform better than anything produced to date.

Great passion and attitude, we've that in spades, let's hope we get a game plan and performance on the day.

Just love the discipline of refereeing in rugby union. I wish football was willing to learn!

Tonight's France v All Blacks 'pushed his fist on his face' incident - would be interesting to see how the referee would have handled it if he didn't have the luxury of standing there miked up to an assistant upstairs repeatedly viewing the incident on monitors in slow motion, before speaking to the referee in great detail in his lughole telling him what to award. Rugby referees get to ask upstairs if they can award tries and all sorts. The referee tonight was even told that a yellow card was the way to go.

Would be interesting if Willie Collum and Co could stand there, press a button, and say to someone with a bank of TV monitors.... 'Can you confirm, did Artur Boruc just halve Dargo in two, and is it OK to send the cnut off?'... 'Aye, he did, red card the fat fcuker...'

If rugby refs had to rule on their sport in an instant, in a split second - disallowing scores that TV later that night showed were actually good, or giving out yellow cards for perceived foul play that were later shown to be wrong, or missing a punch in the gob and letting someone stay on - would be interesting to see how the players reacted the next time that referee was in charge of one of their games.

Tonight's France v All Blacks 'pushed his fist on his face' incident - would be interesting to see how the referee would have handled it if he didn't have the luxury of standing there miked up to an assistant upstairs repeatedly viewing the incident on monitors in slow motion, before speaking to the referee in great detail in his lughole telling him what to award. Rugby referees get to ask upstairs if they can award tries and all sorts. The referee tonight was even told that a yellow card was the way to go.

Would be interesting if Willie Collum and Co could stand there, press a button, and say to someone with a bank of TV monitors.... 'Can you confirm, did Artur Boruc just halve Dargo in two, and is it OK to send the cnut off?'... 'Aye, he did, red card the fat fcuker...'

If rugby refs had to rule on their sport in an instant, in a split second - disallowing scores that TV later that night showed were actually good, or giving out yellow cards for perceived foul play that were later shown to be wrong, or missing a punch in the gob and letting someone stay on - would be interesting to see how the players reacted the next time that referee was in charge of one of their games.

Part of my point... football refuses to even consider this.

Notice the players reaction tho when sin binned? He simply turned and walked.

You just don't argue with a rugby ref. End of.

Part of my point... football refuses to even consider this.

Notice the players reaction tho when sin binned? He simply turned and walked.

You just don't argue with a rugby ref. End of.

I don't disagree with the point that there is more respect, less aggro, and so on between rugby refs and rugby players. It's the same in the NFL. Maybe though, football players wouldn't show 'disrespect' to referees if, like rugby referees, they were able to get big decisions right after consulting with those upstairs.

At least down South, any argument with the referee won't be because he said your shot hadn't crossed the line!

We should trial a new system at our place... Dial up the video referee and a message appears on our state of the art scoreboard..... 'Decision reversed - this latest refereeing fcuk-up brought to you by Big Front Door'.

Rugby used to be like that before they brought in the tech - obviously without the same TV exposure as football. Your bog standard rugby matches still don't have the tech but the players are still more respectful to the ref. Maybe it has to do with rugby players tending to come from more "refined" social classes - in this country, at least - it's just not gentlemanly to argue with the ref. Maybe at their boarding schools the ref (aka teacher) would bugger them in the shower if they talked back.

Errrrrr.... I played for Castlehead High... so bang goes the class theory.

It was instilled in you by the coach from day one... probably due to the 10 yard penalty for arguing.

Argue once... pe alised 10 yards....

Argue twice... penalised another 10 yards and get a doing from your team mates!