The Rugby Thread

shull

8 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

I see what you're saying, now, but I'm still not wrong, it's one of the (many) scenarios I didn't consider. Like Ireland losing, for example. Or us, for that matter. In short, we need to take 4 or more points from the match than Japan get to be sure we go through.

Eta the edit function change is a pain in the arse.

Lets call it a draw 😎

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:
8 hours ago, DougJamie said:
Lets call it a draw emoji41.png

Ironically, as being reported by the BBC, that's exactly the result that would be awarded if the Scotland - Japan game is cancelled on Sunday due to Typhoon Hagibis. Two points each and Scotland out.

They'll more likely move the game if possible I suspect.

18 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

According to the BBC when I posted the earlier comment, that's not catered for in the competition's rules, although reading the BBC's updated stuff, I'm not so sure - and neither are they. emoji38.png

They have also cancelled the Italy game so they are now automatically out.

The precedent is set now.

9 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:
16 hours ago, DougJamie said:
Lets call it a draw emoji41.png

Ironically, as being reported by the BBC, that's exactly the result that would be awarded if the Scotland - Japan game is cancelled on Sunday due to Typhoon Hagibis. Two points each and Scotland out.

Unless Ireland get 0 match points against Samoa, of course...

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

They have also cancelled the Italy game so they are now automatically out.

The precedent is set now.

This, Italy were in a similar situation to Scotland, needed a win against the ABs to go through. I'd say our chances of achieving what's needed are slightly (by which I mean massively) higher than Italy's would have been but the precedent is there right enough. Here's hoping Samoa can do the needful...

It’s an absolutely shite way to decide these groups considering a place in the QF is at stake for some, while others need to finish 3rd to qualify for the 2023 edition.

Really should be aiming to play the fixtures on a different date - makes rugby look as shit as cricket is with draws because of weather.

Scotland and participation in sporting competition....................dear oh dear , continually re inventing the term glorious failure on the exit route

Now its the weather, if its not managerial ineptitude, a referee's poor decisions or our inability to be good enough, we can now add to the list the God of Meteorology   :boo2:

Wha's like us .....................indeed

3 hours ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Scotland and participation in sporting competition....................dear oh dear , continually re inventing the term glorious failure on the exit route

Now its the weather, if its not managerial ineptitude, a referee's poor decisions or our inability to be good enough, we can now add to the list the God of Meteorology   :boo2:

Wha's like us .....................indeed

It’s not even that though. The feeling was that this would always come to the final match against Japan. We lost to Ireland which was no surprise, but perhaps didn’t expect Japan to beat Ireland. Either way we could still seal our QF place by doing the job against Japan - something we could now be denied.

As much as the refereeing decision was shit in the last World Cup, I refuse to blame our exit on that. We f**ked up a line out right before it - if we had won our own line out the incorrect penalty would never have happened. We mastered our own downfall there.

17 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

It’s not even that though. The feeling was that this would always come to the final match against Japan. We lost to Ireland which was no surprise, but perhaps didn’t expect Japan to beat Ireland. Either way we could still seal our QF place by doing the job against Japan - something we could now be denied.

As much as the refereeing decision was shit in the last World Cup, I refuse to blame our exit on that. We f**ked up a line out right before it - if we had won our own line out the incorrect penalty would never have happened. We mastered our own downfall there.

Japan beating Ireland is up there with the Spanish Inquisition in expectation terms...

7 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

Japan beating Ireland is up there with the Spanish Inquisition in expectation terms...

Tbf Japan beating South Africa last campaign means we now know the danger they possess. It might still be a surprise but it’s a home World Cup and they’ve beaten a top side before so the surprise value is less now.

Tbf Japan beating South Africa last campaign means we now know the danger they possess. It might still be a surprise but it’s a home World Cup and they’ve beaten a top side before so the surprise value is less now.
How did they get on in the game after that?

[emoji846]

Guest TPAFKATS

Japan were very good however Scotland were terrible for a lot of that game.
Scotland bossed it for about 15 minutes, Japan then adapted and controlled it. We didn't adapt
The try on half time straight from our kick off after they missed a penalty was amateurish to say the least.
We don't know how to manage games.

The team under townsend is similar to his career as a player at international level

5 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Japan were very good however Scotland were terrible for a lot of that game.
Scotland bossed it for about 15 minutes, Japan then adapted and controlled it. We didn't adapt
The try on half time straight from our kick off after they missed a penalty was amateurish to say the least.
We don't know how to manage games.

The team under townsend is similar to his career as a player at international level

It’s irritating because these days we seem to be “nearly” there quite regularly. Under Johnson and now Townsend we show signs where we look capable of doing well, capable of good results. There’s more fight in the team, the comeback at Twickenham earlier this year proved that. Even four years ago we were on the brink of the semis. Yet after good signs we still manage to finish this year 5th in the 6N and out of the World Cup in the groups.

It seems typically Scottish but we can’t step up the game on a regular basis. Good results here and there, but never in the one run.

Gregor Townsend needs a decent Six Nations now, or the mob will gather for a change of coach.

By a good six nations that means doing more than beating Italy. It means competing to out gun Ireland , France and certainly compete with Wales.

The England match always takes care of itself, as usual anything could happen here.

But the 'nearly there' tag has been hovering over this squad for too long, they need wins, they need improved discipline and speed of thought as well as play to a more cutting , ruthless standard. Watching the Japan teams discipline, speed and power was impressive......... they are a terrifically coached , motivated and a quite decent lot ,.even if  a few of them didn't look anything like Japanese :whistle

5 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

When you look more carefully at the Scotland team that's not a road we should travel along...

emoji846.png

I know, all the National rugby teams are at it more so these days, quite a significant few in England as well as our own National team. You wonder  just how justifiable the ancestry and lineage routes are across the board now.

Yet, even with 'imports' I'm afraid our style, speed and power still seems to be from a different dna stream

1 hour ago, Seaside Nipper said:

I know, all the National rugby teams are at it more so these days, quite a significant few in England as well as our own National team. You wonder  just how justifiable the ancestry and lineage routes are across the board now.

Yet, even with 'imports' I'm afraid our style, speed and power still seems to be from a different dna stream

Most international sport is the same now. I find it more and more difficult to show an interest in meetings of international selects in most sports.