The Rugby Thread

shull

Made a cnut of the lineout. Jump up and catch the bloody thing, get your team-mates to pile in and Scotland should see out the final minute. Then the referee doesn't get to make a possibly dodgy call. Shame, because Scotland played with skill, guts and passion.

You just know though - a triumvirate of St Mirren - Scotland fitba - Scotland rugby... The moment of self-inflicted implosion, making a cnut of it, and a kick in the stones is always a mere moment away.

Must be something in the water.

Guest TPAFKATS

Made a cnut of the lineout. Jump up and catch the bloody thing, get your team-mates to pile in and Scotland should see out the final minute. Then the referee doesn't get to make a possibly dodgy call. Shame, because Scotland played with skill, guts and passion.

You just know though - a triumvirate of St Mirren - Scotland fitba - Scotland rugby... The moment of self-inflicted implosion, making a cnut of it, and a kick in the stones is always a mere moment away.

Also find touch with the earlier penalty and take a slow stroll to the line-out 40 metres up the park

Never noticed at the time, too gutted.............but seemingy the ref bolted down the tunnel immediately and never shook hands with the players.............that behaviour demonstrates a failure and fear / doubt in his own mind, pretty shameful stuff , very unprofessional and not what you ever see in Rugby, all very unsatisfactory and adds to the ense of diappointment.

Very much agree. Yesterday, for me, it was all the fault of the ref. This morning I feel it was our mistake. It's raining, a minute to go, throw it short and protect the ball.

I can understand Joubert getting the penalty decision wrong and I can accept that the rules don't allow the TMO to get involved in those circumstances. However, having already proven himself capable of interfering in the referee's handling of the game by getting Maitland carded without the refereee asking him to check anything, the TMO needs to explain why the late tackle on Hogg wasn't at least looked at. As does Joubert, for that matter, I believe Laidlaw asked him directly.

The late hit on Hogg was disgraceful. To compare that deliberate assault to the ridiculous yellow we got sums up rugby for me. With the TMO and how stop start the game is, to miss these things is so frustrating.

I'm not a massive fan of the egg chasing, but our football team could learn from the rugby boys, about how to sing their national anthem with a bit of pride and play with their hearts on their sleeves.

Ffs, World rugby after reviewing this evening now confirm "Joubert was wrong to award the penalty"

Kinda makes it harder to take, despite the merging of whatiffery all around the last moments, this confirms what most observers thought, the penalty a wrong one.

Jeez , Scotland properly done over on this occasion

Guest TPAFKATS

The aussie #1 being penalised 4 times for collapsing the scrum yet not being sin binned was very unusual.

Scotlands yellow was controversial.

Refusing to look at TMO of Hogg tackle was strange

TMO not mentioning it to ref, esp when he had been keen to intervene earlier was also strange.

All this gets added up together with the final penalty and ref running away at end of game and I start to get a wee bit paranoid.

Was just listening to the podcast of 5lives post match coverage yesterday.

What really struck me - a non rugby fan - as bizarre was the confusion regarding the rules.

Basically our captain Laidlaw, our coach Cotter, and the two five live experts Hastings and Dawson all claimed that TMO should have been used for the penalty decision after the game finished.

Then John Beattie - ex Scotland player - and I believe a rugby magazine and world rugby all commented that TMO can't be used in that situation. It can only be used for serious foul play or leading up to a try. Then their followed a period of confusion on the live radio where they tried to clarify the rule, and I believe they clarified it to the extent that TMO could not be used in that instance. There then followed a series of comments about how daft the rule was :lol:

So basically it seems that some our own captain and coach - along with some experts - don't actually know the rules of their own game.

Isn't that a bit... Disconcerting? What chance do the rest of us have of understanding them!

Edited by TopCat

Laidlaw said they use it for everything else so they should have used it for the penalty incident. ...

Yup, the ref has a camera, he has a mic, on this occasion clearly he should have broken with protocol and asked for TMO as he clearly awarded the Aussies a pen on the basis of what he thought he saw. No No No , not at such a stage in a game, its happened before , so , its nonsense to suggest its in the rules that he couldn't ask upstairs about an on field issue and seek clarity. It happens all the time in Rugby when there is doubt. What's disappointing is that by rapidly awarding the pen he just demonstrated an inherent bias towards Australia, certainly he acted against Scotland, at a time in the match , that was critical, match winning. Also no TMO intervention after the very late shoulder on Hogg, well, that's just plain strange and smacks of casual disregard for the laws at a key time in the game.

Imagine Scotland going into a World Cup semi Final against Argentina, for a place at the Final, I certainly was for about five mins until Joubert struck.

Anyway, Joubert's own actions thereafter betrayed his own realisation/ interpretation as he just , well, bolted. Between awarding the kick and blowing the whistle he's clearly realised he's made a cnunt of it, realised he just couldn't face up to the players, truly abysmal.

Now World Rugby have confirmed he was wrong, well, its all a bit late now, do we get a replay , no, do we get some come back , no , do we get another big chip for our shoulder, och aye. Scotland done no favours.

Another shite state of affairs being aired on this forum .

sad.png

Well, let's hope all the lovely huggy respect we talked about between rugby referees and players remains untarnished by the actions of this South African shitebag.

When I watched the footage of the cnut running like a big jessie straight up the tunnel? What respect did he show both teams? Respect? Fcuk respect - at that precise moment, our captain should have chased the bawbag, got right in his face and asked him in no uncertain terms where the fcuk he thought he was running to and from.

I really do think we're all in danger of missing the point here. I can completely understand Joubert getting that call wrong, when you watch it in real time it's easy to see why he made it , he did think about it, realised the implications and that he wasn't allowed to use the TMO, and made the call as he saw it. I personally have no problem with that. Referees are human, mistakes are made, and don't lose sight of the fact that we made a mistake in not securing the ball from our throw-in in the first place.

As I've said before though, the real question here is why wasn't the late tackle on Hogg even looked at? Is it because Hogg has previous for milking it - Nigel Owens telling him not to act tlike a footballer in one of the previous games? If they had looked at it and had decided that nothing untoward had happened, fair enough, I'd disagree but at least they'd have considered it. To completely ignore it is inexplicable and the TMO should be made to answer for that.

Point is he couldn't go to the TMO himself for the penalty (technically) but the TMO was happy enough to stick his oar in earlier and incorrectly yellow card one of our players...resulting in an Australian try. The ref could also have called the f**king decisions correctly.

The end just seemed have an air of inevitability about it, have seen it so many times from our national sides.

There were a few moments of dreaming of a final against the All Blacks, what an occasion that would have been. (Not claiming we would be favourites v Argentina, but we would certainly have had a great chance). I can't see us ever having a chance like this again.

Point is he couldn't go to the TMO himself for the penalty (technically) but the TMO was happy enough to stick his oar in earlier and incorrectly yellow card one of our players...resulting in an Australian try. The ref could also have called the f**king decisions correctly.

The end just seemed have an air of inevitability about it, have seen it so many times from our national sides.

There were a few moments of dreaming of a final against the All Blacks, what an occasion that would have been. (Not claiming we would be favourites v Argentina, but we would certainly have had a great chance). I can't see us ever having a chance like this again.

The ref could have called the TMO saying that he thought he had spotted a deliberate late challenge and wanted it confirmed.

On reviewing it, he could have said that the initial foul was a fair tackle... but that on reviewing the move he had noticed that... ... ... ...

Right, a few points on the penalty now being cited as an incorrect decision:-

1. It’s not going to change anything; Scotland are still out, Australia are still through, the game won’t be replayed.

2. If a scrum was the correct decision then who’s to say Australia wouldn’t have got something? It was in the Scotland 22 so easily could’ve been a drop goal at least.

3. The referee made an incorrect decision in the first half for a collapsed scrum that earned Scotland three points from a penalty; a bit of a dodgy decision then and now.

4. The late tackle on Stuart Hogg in the run up to the line out should’ve been awarded as an infringement further down the pitch; this has been overlooked and forgotten (except being mentioned above).

5. Over and above everything else it was a badly taken line-out by Scotland & possession should’ve been retained.

So all in yes there was an error by the referee but Scotland have a bit of culpability plus the fact Bernard Foley held his nerve well for the kick as he still could’ve missed. In the end it’s over & done with and life goes on. I certainly don’t want this to be a Maradona thing still being complained about 30 years on. And to be honest I think the team will move on, hopefully learn from this and use it to their advantage.

Forget the individual decisions and look at the bigger picture. World Rugby is dominated and over influenced by the Southern Hemisphere countries. Every step is taken that will guarantee NZ, Oz and SA as semi-finalists. Only England are tolerated in this club and their early exit, alongside the shock of the Japan v SA result, all but ensured that strings would be pulled in the latter stages of the competition to ensure a 'suitable' final for TV audiences. I would love Argentina to win the semi-final against Oz....but they won't. More dubious decisions await.