The Rugby Thread

shull

Any sport where one object of the game is to actively kick the ball OUT of the playing field should automatically be regarded with disdain. I went to one six nations game a few years back. Utter, utter bollocks. I watched Scotland and Ireland at Murrayfield, repeatedly kick the ball into touch. Another reason I dislike rugby is the involvement of the referee is massive. He's almost like an orchestra conductor, telling players to use the ball, get off the man, or any number of instructions. Any action I saw on the telly this weekend also involved scrums constantly collapsing, and taking about five minutes to complete, as the turf beneath their feet cut up to buggery.

Rugby union is shit.

Sits back and awaits inevitable backlash... possibly from people who have names such as Findlay, Campbell and Fraser.... and that's Christian names I'm talking about.

cool.png

Any sport where one object of the game is to actively kick the ball OUT of the playing field should automatically be regarded with disdain. I went to one six nations game a few years back. Utter, utter bollocks. I watched Scotland and Ireland at Murrayfield, repeatedly kick the ball into touch. Another reason I dislike rugby is the involvement of the referee is massive. He's almost like an orchestra conductor, telling players to use the ball, get off the man, or any number of instructions. Any action I saw on the telly this weekend also involved scrums constantly collapsing, and taking about five minutes to complete, as the turf beneath their feet cut up to buggery.

Rugby union is shit.

Sits back and awaits inevitable backlash... possibly from people who have names such as Findlay, Campbell and Fraser.... and that's Christian names I'm talking about.

cool.png

I agree, but it increases the old post count.

I agree, but it increases the old post count.

I'm just waiting for Drew to get hammered into golf again. Come to think of it, 'Drew' sounds like one of these jolly rugger chaps names. Obviously in there with Rory, Fraser, Campbell, Findlay, Ruairadh and the chaps.

Right, where's my Pringle jumper and tartan troosers'....

Rugby union is shit.

cool.png

I agree with a lot of what you have said but what really gets on my wick is the fact that that a penalty can be given 50 yards from the posts when there was never a chance of a try being scored(which, after all, is the object of the game), and the penalty can be kicked and 3 points awarded. Give me Rugby League any day ; no scrums and much faster! thumbup2.gif

I agree with a lot of what you have said but what really gets on my wick is the fact that that a penalty can be given 50 yards from the posts when there was never a chance of a try being scored(which, after all, is the object of the game), and the penalty can be kicked and 3 points awarded. Give me Rugby League any day ; no scrums and much faster! thumbup2.gif

What's the difference between that and a direct free-kick being awarded outside the penalty box?

Lots of inverse snobbery going on in this thread so let's go for some of the other stuff. You're only saying these things because none of you are smart enough to understand the game and all its subtle nuances.

Golf - can I refer you to Mark Twain's thoughts on golf, spot on.

Rugby League - much better than Union, that's why it's so much more popular in Scotland and throughout the world.

jerry.gif

I've tried many times to "get into rugby" but, as has been stated above, it get's nowhere fast for me, although some football games ar equally as tedious.

Mainly fat blokes crashing into other fat blokes or kicking the funny shaped ball as hard as possible.

Load of wanky pish.

And you say you can't get into that.whistling.gif

Love the rugby & have done since I was a youngster. It's a f**king great game, a proper team sport where every position on the field counts in every game. Plus you don't get any of the pansy arsed play-acting so prevalent in football. bye1.gif