The Rugby Thread

shull

Odd that people who hate rugby so much click on a thread entitled "The Rugby Thread".

I was expecting some analysis of the team scoring more tries in the last two games than the English coach managed in umpteen years of getting horsed off everyone in the Six Nations...

Edited by Kemp

What's the difference between that and a direct free-kick being awarded outside the penalty box?

Lots of inverse snobbery going on in this thread so let's go for some of the other stuff. You're only saying these things because none of you are smart enough to understand the game and all its subtle nuances.

Golf - can I refer you to Mark Twain's thoughts on golf, spot on.

Rugby League - much better than Union, that's why it's so much more popular in Scotland and throughout the world.

jerry.gif

How likely are you to score from a direct free kick nearly 50 yards from the goal?

Love the rugby & have done since I was a youngster. It's a f**king great game, a proper team sport where every position on the field counts in every game. Plus you don't get any of the pansy arsed play-acting so prevalent in football. bye1.gif

Pansy arsed play acting? Wasn't it in rugby union that some team actually faked a blood injury and caused a rumpus? Happy to stand corrected if not so!

Pansy arsed play acting? Wasn't it in rugby union that some team actually faked a blood injury and caused a rumpus? Happy to stand corrected if not so!

Faked a blood injury, not a broken leg/ankle/metatarsal/fingernail like you see in every game of football from 7 year olds up.

Love the rugby & have done since I was a youngster. It's a f**king great game, a proper team sport where every position on the field counts in every game. Plus you don't get any of the pansy arsed play-acting so prevalent in football. bye1.gif

I like international rugby union but only started watching it in the 70's. The first few times watching at Murrayfield I found it exciting but I openly admitted my ignorance at times and asked why a particular decision had been given, usually penalties, and I swear nobody round me really knew or a couple of different answers were shouted out. Living now in Ireland I've been at Landsdowne Road and Ravenhill on a few occasions and it's just the same here. The referees continually come up with odd, inexplicable decisions that nobody understands. The average rugby union player probably is a bit brighter than the average footballer but even then you see them regularly querying strange decisions that nobody has understood. I still ask around me what a particular decision was given for and get only blank looks. We can now hear what the ref has given a decision for but it doesn't always hold water. Not releasing is a favourite and how often do we still see a player on the deck with about eighty stone of rugby players lying on top of him. How the f**k can he release the ball. I know the usual answer. He should have released it a bit earlier.

I still like the game. France getting booed by their fans, Scotland winning at Murrayfield but Ireland v England was dire. Hate to say it but I think England could win all their games. Boo, Hiss!!

Faked a blood injury, not a broken leg/ankle/metatarsal/fingernail like you see in every game of football from 7 year olds up.

Well yes, but let's not forget that that feigning injury incident was something you'd NEVER get in football, eh...?

http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow/sports-ugliestmoments/7/

post-255-0-39667400-1360675056_thumb.jpg

Not sure why you're quoting me, HHiBSS, I made the same point as you?

I vaguely remember the Chilean goalie incident but I suppose that's the years of experience at cheating showing through - none of this pansy fake blood nonsense, go for the real thing!

:)

Hate to say it but I think England could win all their games. Boo, Hiss!!

Without getting carried away on one good performance v Italy it could come down to a similar thing to 1999 when Scotland won, if on the off chance Scotland can beat Ireland and Wales at home!

This 6 nations is truely an 'anyone can beat anyone scenario'. Even the French who are 0 out of 2, would anyone bank against them not suddenly doing their usual and turning up against England? England with a tough last game in Cardiff. Lot to play for.

Here is hoping it is Scotland's year, unlikely, but you never know. Heck we're the only one of the old 5 nations not to win the 6 nations!

Without getting carried away on one good performance v Italy it could come down to a similar thing to 1999 when Scotland won, if on the off chance Scotland can beat Ireland and Wales at home!

This 6 nations is truely an 'anyone can beat anyone scenario'. Even the French who are 0 out of 2, would anyone bank against them not suddenly doing their usual and turning up against England? England with a tough last game in Cardiff. Lot to play for.

Here is hoping it is Scotland's year, unlikely, but you never know. Heck we're the only one of the old 5 nations not to win the 6 nations!

Talking to an Irish friend last night who reckons Scotland will do them on account of the injury list they have, so you never know.

France still have to go to Dublin, and won't relish that, but you could be right about them turning up against England. It's shaping up nicely.

Talking to an Irish friend last night who reckons Scotland will do them on account of the injury list they have, so you never know.

France still have to go to Dublin, and won't relish that, but you could be right about them turning up against England. It's shaping up nicely.

I agree, they also lost Cain Healy for a stamp after he was cited. I know Scotland have had false dawns and let us down before, but I think we have one of the best chances with Wales and Ireland at home to win these games. We have come close before and won in the last game at Croke Park a few years back now. This side has flaws, but has a lot more talent than the sides of 2009/10.

I agree, they also lost Cain Healy for a stamp after he was cited. I know Scotland have had false dawns and let us down before, but I think we have one of the best chances with Wales and Ireland at home to win these games. We have come close before and won in the last game at Croke Park a few years back now. This side has flaws, but has a lot more talent than the sides of 2009/10.

I think the game last Saturday gave a huge boost, not just because of the victory but the margin & the nature. Scotland's biggest win in the Six Nations against a team who had just beaten three times World Cup finalists. Bring it on!

I think the game last Saturday gave a huge boost, not just because of the victory but the margin & the nature. Scotland's biggest win in the Six Nations against a team who had just beaten three times World Cup finalists. Bring it on!

I think we were suprised by amount of tries 4 and 2 in the game before that.

It's been a while since we have seen our backs with power and real pace.

I think our forwards ain't up to it still have problems releasing the ball when tackled

Greta game on radio shortbread with a massive bias...I love it.

Why didn't you watch it live on Freeview channel 8 BBC Alba ? Just ignore the Gaelic commentary and enjoy the action (apart from the missed conversion right in front of the posts that gained Ulster a losing bonus point).