Whisky Drinkers

thomsons dropped it

The Macallan for me,

followed by The Balvennie.

There's a wee distillery just out the back of Strathblane {Glengoyne} not a bad wee drop.

Spotted Clynelish in tesco's tonight and am going to have a crack on that to see what it's like. Run past it {back end of Brora} on the way to the inlaws.

I've posted this before, but here goes again.... I can't drink any whisky. Even the smell makes me ill. I literally feel a bit sick even trying to sip it. However, I love Jack Daniels & Coke.

Someone once told me it's because of the way Jack Daniels is distilled, as opposed to the way whisky is. I have no idea if this is bullshit or not. Honest truth though, whisky makes me ill just looking at it, but I can quite happily down a nice JD & Coke with ice.

All theories/explanations gladly accepted!

I've posted this before, but here goes again.... I can't drink any whisky. Even the smell makes me ill. I literally feel a bit sick even trying to sip it. However, I love Jack Daniels & Coke.

Someone once told me it's because of the way Jack Daniels is distilled, as opposed to the way whisky is. I have no idea if this is bullshit or not. Honest truth though, whisky makes me ill just looking at it, but I can quite happily down a nice JD & Coke with ice.

The thought of any malt and coke and ice would make me puke. Malt whisky is a drink that is savoured and not drank. Either take it neat or preferably with a small dash of water at room temperature ( ice kills whisky). Use a proper whisky tasting glass and not a half pint glass :) . Smell it first. Take in the aroma. Then a little on your tongue to swirl around your mouth to taste all the flavours. Then sip very slowly over a long period. Really taste it. You don't throw it back with shit like coke. Go on Poz give it another go with a decent malt of distinct taste - try the Old Pultenay.

I'll need to go and pour myself one now :)

I just had a nosey in the old drinks cabinet (ostensibly to see how much of my 15 year old Dalwhinnie remains), and tucked away at the back, found a boxed, unmolested bottle of Passport Scotch. WTF, thinks me, and where did that come from? Well, it comes from Paisley apparerently! Chivas make this little blended number, and it seems it is rated quite highly.

I still have no idea how I came by it. It was either the traditional bottle from my late father-in-law, or I won it in a raffle. Either way, It won't be tucked away for too much longer....

ETA: £30 a pop, no lessohmy.png

http://www.winesdire...tch_whisky.aspx

Drew,maybe my love of whisky stems from the fact I could see it going up the conveyor belt from the classrooms that faced Chivas from St Mirin's Academy where I was interned for five years from 68 to 73....lol.giflol.giflol.gif

The thought of any malt and coke and ice would make me puke. Malt whisky is a drink that is savoured and not drank. Either take it neat or preferably with a small dash of water at room temperature ( ice kills whisky). Use a proper whisky tasting glass and not a half pint glass smile.png . Smell it first. Take in the aroma. Then a little on your tongue to swirl around your mouth to taste all the flavours. Then sip very slowly over a long period. Really taste it. You don't throw it back with shit like coke. Go on Poz give it another go with a decent malt of distinct taste - try the Old Pultenay.

I'll need to go and pour myself one now smile.png

I can't. That's what I'm saying... I can't drink whisky, smell whisky, no matter how good it is supposed to be, or how it is served. The only other thing that makes me react this way is the smell of orchids. If someone has orchids in a room I need to ask them to remove them.

I genuinely like Jack Daniels & Coke though. I can't explain it.

I can't. That's what I'm saying... I can't drink whisky, smell whisky, no matter how good it is supposed to be, or how it is served. The only other thing that makes me react this way is the smell of orchids. If someone has orchids in a room I need to ask them to remove them.

I genuinely like Jack Daniels & Coke though. I can't explain it.

I like a whisky and coke,it disnae make you a bad person. Like I said before it is only recently I have started drinking it straight.I also like Vodka and coke,probably my drink of choice on a normal basis,the Cratur is a Treat that is becoming more normal if you get my drift....

Highland Park, from the most northern whisky distillery (Kirkwall) was world champion for most of the last 20 years. One loss mentioned above.

This was by blind choice by apparent whisky experts.

It's been nearly 40 years since I took whisky. Lovely, addictive stuff... :)

I am enjoying a Glen Grant single Malt Limited Edition.Lovely.

What's your favourite Dram ??

One of the two distilleries I have visited. The other is Arran which does a great tour and the whisky's pretty good to my uneducated taste buds. Reputedly they use the purest water in the world! The Arran distillery was opened in the 1990s and was the dream of the former St.Mirren director Harold Currie who set it up on retiring which was news to me. Now if he'd just willed the profits to St.Mirren...

One of the two distilleries I have visited. The other is Arran which does a great tour and the whisky's pretty good to my uneducated taste buds. Reputedly they use the purest water in the world! The Arran distillery was opened in the 1990s and was the dream of the former St.Mirren director Harold Currie who set it up on retiring which was news to me. Now if he'd just willed the profits to St.Mirren...

Maybe it was the St Mirren profits of the 80's that helped open it. whistling.gif

When I die, I would like the cause fo death to read "drowned in a vat of Auchentoshen whilst attempting to drink his way to safety".

Lovely stuff. Triple distilled you know.

I'm not a Whisky drinker, but did the distillery tour at Auchentoshan just up the road at Clydebank. I actually found it really nice to drink, and can certainly reccommend the tour, we did it with Canadian relatives in July 2011 and since they weren't actually distilling at the time we got 3 drinks (instead of the normal 1) out of it for £6 (actually more than 3 each because some of our party were driving).

My two favourites are Springbank & Bowmore, any variation of the two is always the real water of life. The distillery in Campbeltown do Springbank, Longrow & Hazelburn and although they're all different (i.e. on is non peated, one is lightly peated & one is heavily peated) they all have the same basic flavour, i.e. fúcking fantastic. They do some fantastic wood expressions as well. Last weekend I got Longrow Redwhich is a 12yo Longrow part matured in a cabernet Sauvignon cask. It's absolutely magic.

Bowmore really know how to do their stuff as well; Tempest, Mariner, Darkest, Enigma. None of your 10-year-old, 12-year-old stuff. :-D

Another real favourite was Ardbeg Blasda but they stopped making that.

From Speyside Balvenie always hits the mark. For a Highland malt Oban is a thoroughly enjoyable drop, really like that one.

Took me a while in getting into malts but I'm bloody glad that I did.

I'd be interested to know if you get an answer Poz as it has this effect on me too - the slightest taste gives me really bad waterbrash, I can feel the saliva glands kicking in just thinking about it - I'm not adverse to a wee JD & coke either. weird.

I'd be interested to know if you get an answer Poz as it has this effect on me too - the slightest taste gives me really bad waterbrash, I can feel the saliva glands kicking in just thinking about it - I'm not adverse to a wee JD & coke either. weird.

Indeed. As I said, whisky and the smell of orchids makes me actually feel ill.

Funny old world right enough!