Whisky Drinkers

thomsons dropped it

I'd be interested to know if you get an answer Poz as it has this effect on me too - the slightest taste gives me really bad waterbrash, I can feel the saliva glands kicking in just thinking about it - I'm not adverse to a wee JD & coke either. weird.

I'm another who detests the taste and smell of whisky. I rarely drink spirits but when I do it is a Cognac or Armagnac.

Edited by smcc

I prefer my malts to be single

Ballantines Gold

Highland Park

Milton Duff (becomeing increasingly difficult to source)

Glenfiddich

are fine examples of a good Scottish Whisky

I dislike the Islay malts as well as jura and other products originating from the Islands. They taste like iodine.

The above list is by no means exhaustive.

Also I do not like seeing people in Scottish public houses consuming foreign muck such as jack Daniels. Whisky is very diverse and if you young ones would just try a few then I am sure you will find an example of our national drink that you will enjoy.

I also try to drink Scottish beer, eat foot produced in Scotland and purchase products from Scottish owned companies.

I like being Scottish.

Oatcakes anyone?

Ballantines Gold

Highland Park

Glenfiddich

I dislike the Islay malts as well as jura and other products originating from the Islands. They taste like iodine.

Also I do not like seeing people in Scottish public houses consuming foreign muck such as jack Daniels. Whisky is very diverse and if you young ones would just try a few then I am sure you will find an example of our national drink that you will enjoy.

I also try to drink Scottish beer, eat foot produced in Scotland and purchase products from Scottish owned companies.

I like being Scottish.

Oatcakes anyone?

that's cos you're misses is trying to poison youbangin.gif

Ballantines Gold

Highland Park

Glenfiddich

I like being Scottish.

Oatcakes anyone?

Have you tried a horse's hoof yet?

I've been a Jack Daniels for many a year now due to being away a weekend with the North End gang and wanting to drink a spirit rather than just spirits all the time - so my good friend big Gordon Smith helped me work my way thru the gantry til I found something I liked!!!

I would never have tried Jack D otherwise. Sometimes ina pub I'll just take a whisky and coke but I really for whiskly drinker this is NOOOOOOO!!! I would like to be able to drink whisky straight and appreciate but I just don't see it happening. I do enjoy a Lochan ora which i know is a liquer and on recommendation from a guy at work (chivas) I have tried a rusty nail - royal salute and lochan ora - one equal measure of each - yum yum!

I actually just found the other day a wee gift pack of whisky minatures from chivas my uncle gave me many years ago - maybe I should have a wee whisky tasting session next weekend to myself thumbup2.gif

Its got to be Glenmorangie for me. My old dad was from Tain, so that's probably been an influence too.

In terms of whisky generally, I don't have too bad a word to say about any whisky made in Scotland south and east of the extended line of the Caledonian fault line (Glenmorangie just on the edge!!), however, whisky from north and west of this line is usually too peaty and strong tasted for my liking.

Slainte

Should anyone be in Arran http://www.groupon.c..._1_0_0_296&a=19

Done that tour a couple of years ago it is a smart and interesting place to visit I was amazed by how much water is used daily though in the most part that is to cool down the vats. I'm not a big fan of Arran whisky , there is a 14 year old unopened in the drinks cabinet while a 10 year old has long gone. When in the cafeI tried what was called a woman's whisky which is a bit lighter and was impressed with that. The place is well worth a visit.

For my recent birthday (special number) I got an 18 year old Springbank, a 15 year old Glenlivet (French Oak Reserve), and a 14 year old Clynelish. Not too shabby. I also got a gift set that included 2 drams of Japanese single malt and a Tennessee single malt. Times are good.

PARTY AT RANK'S!!!clap.gif

And I've just realised my post ^^^^ was off topic since I didn't answer the original question.

I think its really difficult picking one favourite as there are many greats that have special qualities but as a rule I like northern malts so Highland Park, Old Pulteney, Clynelish would be on my list and they're all different from each other. I like Islay and Talisker and there should be a special mention for Dalmore which is underrated. If I HAD to chose just one I think I'd plump for Highland Park as a great all-rounder.

I'd be interested to know if you get an answer Poz as it has this effect on me too - the slightest taste gives me really bad waterbrash, I can feel the saliva glands kicking in just thinking about it - I'm not adverse to a wee JD & coke either. weird.

Alcohol directly irritates the esophagus, stomach, and intestines, causing inflammation of the stomach lining. Alcohol increases the production of gastric (stomach) acid, and can also cause a build up of triglycerides (fat compounds and free fatty acids) in liver cells. Any of these factors can result in nausea or vomiting.Most alcohol contains smaller amounts of other biologically active compounds, known as congeners, which contribute to the taste, smell, and look of a beverage. Drinks containing more pure alcohol, such as gin and vodka, have fewer congeners than drinks with less pure alcohol, such as red wine and whiskey. Drinks with fewer congeners may lead to less severe hangover symptoms, including nausea, than drinks with more.so the more alcohol content a sprit has the easier it is to drink and feel ok

Alcohol directly irritates the esophagus, stomach, and intestines, causing inflammation of the stomach lining. Alcohol increases the production of gastric (stomach) acid, and can also cause a build up of triglycerides (fat compounds and free fatty acids) in liver cells. Any of these factors can result in nausea or vomiting.Most alcohol contains smaller amounts of other biologically active compounds, known as congeners, which contribute to the taste, smell, and look of a beverage. Drinks containing more pure alcohol, such as gin and vodka, have fewer congeners than drinks with less pure alcohol, such as red wine and whiskey. Drinks with fewer congeners may lead to less severe hangover symptoms, including nausea, than drinks with more.so the more alcohol content a sprit has the easier it is to drink and feel ok

Boo boy!thumbdown.gif

Factors relating to metabolic tolerance might help explain why you're feeling sick from one drink. Alcohol is absorbed primarily from the stomach and small intestine and metabolized mainly in the liver by an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH). If insufficient ADH is produced in the liver, the body will not be able to metabolize alcohol. A second enzyme, aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH), also plays a role in metabolism. Some people lack ALDH, which is often associated with facial flushing, sweating, and/or becoming ill after drinking small amounts of alcohol. Recent studies suggest women have fewer alcohol metabolizing enzymes than men. The fact that women typically have higher body fat percentages also causes them to metabolize alcohol differently — in particular, a woman will typically have a higher blood alcohol concentration level than a man, even after consuming the same amount of alcohol.

I've posted this before, but here goes again.... I can't drink any whisky. Even the smell makes me ill. I literally feel a bit sick even trying to sip it. However, I love Jack Daniels & Coke.

Someone once told me it's because of the way Jack Daniels is distilled, as opposed to the way whisky is. I have no idea if this is bullshit or not. Honest truth though, whisky makes me ill just looking at it, but I can quite happily down a nice JD & Coke with ice.

All theories/explanations gladly accepted!