Whisky Drinkers

thomsons dropped it

I've posted this before, but here goes again.... I can't drink any whisky. Even the smell makes me ill. I literally feel a bit sick even trying to sip it. However, I love Jack Daniels & Coke.

Someone once told me it's because of the way Jack Daniels is distilled, as opposed to the way whisky is. I have no idea if this is bullshit or not. Honest truth though, whisky makes me ill just looking at it, but I can quite happily down a nice JD & Coke with ice.

All theories/explanations gladly accepted!

answered but qoute didn't work properly, see above for explanations from a medical site

this and the explanation above might explain, it does seem that the purer the alcohol the less chance of feeling ill, whisky is apparently less pure than gin,vodka and maybe jack daniels

ETA having trouble quoting posts, gremlins afoot i fear

I think you've completely missed the point here Buddiecat (although thanks for attempting to find an explanation).

One measure of whisky doesn't make me sick, or feel sick. I can't even get it by my tonsils. Even the smell of it gives me the boak - the tiniest sip makes my mouth start to flood with saliva as if my brain is trying to dilute the taste. I don't have this experience with any other alcoholic drink (including all the others you listed). As far as I can make out it seems more to do with the taste rather than the alcohol content.

I think you've completely missed the point here Buddiecat (although thanks for attempting to find an explanation).

One measure of whisky doesn't make me sick, or feel sick. I can't even get it by my tonsils. Even the smell of it gives me the boak - the tiniest sip makes my mouth start to flood with saliva as if my brain is trying to dilute the taste. I don't have this experience with any other alcoholic drink (including all the others you listed). As far as I can make out it seems more to do with the taste rather than the alcohol content.

other answers on the medical site i nicked those explanations from state that the body naturally wants to prevent poison from entering it (alcohol is a poison) and will try preventing it in any way it can, obviously you have a well functioning body whistling.gif . also if you have been violently ill after drinking or eating something then your body will reject that substance next time you try taking it

I'm exactly the same, Eddy. Even the smell of whisky turns my stomach. I've persevered and It got no better. It will never pass my lips again. Not going to mention swallowing again because it has been beaten to death. Strangely, I enjoy reading and hearing about whisky. This is a good thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to buy a bottle of Lagavulin 12 year old 2010/10th Release for the Christmas Raffle Offshore....(Has to be kept in the Office unfortunately.)

Would like to win that one.nologo.gif

Sounds great and I still wish I liked Scotch. Would you tell us how much it costs you?

Going to buy a bottle of Lagavulin 12 year old 2010/10th Release for the Christmas Raffle Offshore....(Has to be kept in the Office unfortunately.)

Would like to win that one.nologo.gif

Lagavulin is number one for me followed by Ardbeg so think I must be an Isaly man. Lagavilin 12 year old ? Make sure you bring a flask to the football next time :) Talking of a flask have taken a small flask in my hip pocket which belonged to my late father. Usualy for the football I put Gram Marni it it which is another fine drink in a cold day. Have yet to be pulled up for the flask and that is taking a swig during the game :)

Here is where I do my whiky shopping

http://www.lfw.co.uk/acatalog/Lagavulin.html

Just come back from a fortnight's holiday. In the duty free at Paisley International on the way out I spotted a litre bottle of Bowmore Surf for thirty two quid. It was too good to pass up. So it kept me very good company on a two week road trip through the USA. Thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyable. :)

Got a bottle of Scapa 16 yo on order through a colleague with a family member who gets former employee discount.

£15.80 (retails between 50 and 60 quid)! In the net!

I also stuck down a more pedestrian 12 yo Aberlour. Still, for 11 quid, you can't go far wrong.

Edited by Drew

All over the place, Iain; Eastern Seaboard, Mid-west, Texas, Deep South then all points back to Noo Joizy.

You do well traveling about Greig. Maybe you should take Firhill Saint with you next time and he can film your travels then sell it on to a travel TV channel that way you get paid for it as well :)

Got a bottle of Scapa 16 yo on order through a colleague with a family member who gets former employee discount.

£15.80 (retails between 50 and 60 quid)! In the net!

Well done that man!

I also stuck down a more pedestrian 12 yo Aberlour. Still, for 11 quid, you can't go far wrong.

Aberlour ain't too bad - a'bunadh is a bit of a favourite - and that's a flippin' great price. How did you manage that?

You do well traveling about Greig. Maybe you should take Firhill Saint with you next time and he can film your travels then sell it on to a travel TV channel that way you get paid for it as well smile.png

Oooooooohhh, I really dunno about that, mate. There are somethings that happen that you REALLY don't want to witness! wink.png

Edited to add:- Mind you, getting the Greyhound from New Orleans back north there was a load of black guys on sitting up the back. Dunno if any of them knew each other but - f*** me! - the patter was absolutely priceless! Some of the funniest stuff I've heard in years and delivered in that superb southern black drawl. Turns out Reginald D Hunter might just be averagely funny by Alabama standards. biggrin.png

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

Aberlour ain't too bad - a'bunadh is a bit of a favourite - and that's a flippin' great price. How did you manage that?

My colleague's father-in-law used to work for Diageo and gets a monthly 'allowance' of bottles plus a special price list over and above this. He can only order a set amount each month, but the beauty of the arrangement is....he doesn't drinkthumbup2.gif

My colleague knew I enjoyed my malts and kindly offered to let me have a look at the proce list with a view to a few orders. There are a few nice bottles on there, and at some tremendous prices.

Edited by Drew