Whisky Drinkers

thomsons dropped it

Just back from a few days in Lisbon...32c every day ...roasting. At Inverness Airport on the way down,the Cardhu I bought in Tescos for £25 was an eye watering £61 [emoji33]
Bottle of Balvenie Doublewood was £58 [emoji33][emoji33] 
Surely even tourists would know they are being fleeced there ??  or would they. ???
Anyway, currently having a Haig Club and Coke with ice, as recommended on the Bottle. Nice.   :cheers
P.S. Bought the dearest round ever on Friday night in the Hotel...19 Drinks ...255 Euros  :shockaroony

Bought a bottle of Haig Club to try at the weekend. Looking forward to it.

I am partial to the odd blended whisky with ginger ale or coke.

A good mate of mine bought me a dram of black bottle the other night (in this pub a dram was a double) and whilst I seldom refuse a dram I just always assumed black bottle was a peaty Islay blend. I was surprised to find it was very smooth. Apparently they have changed the recipe and are going back to the Speyside taste. If you like your whisky smooth like I do give it a whirl. My fecking head was next morning but......

A good mate of mine bought me a dram of black bottle the other night (in this pub a dram was a double) and whilst I seldom refuse a dram I just always assumed black bottle was a peaty Islay blend. I was surprised to find it was very smooth. Apparently they have changed the recipe and are going back to the Speyside taste. If you like your whisky smooth like I do give it a whirl. My fecking head was next morning but......

Interesting... I bought Black Bottle last week and thought it a tad too peaty for my palate.

I had a nip of Haig Club with coke last night.

I could have sworn I was drinking a JD! Dangerously mellow!

Off at the weekend so planning to try it neat tonight as the aroma was so pleasantly enticing!

• 2 months later...

Bought a bottle of Haig Club to try at the weekend. Looking forward to it.

I am partial to the odd blended whisky with ginger ale or coke.

Not really a fan of blended whisky but heard mixed reports about Haig Club and Clubman. The only other blends I've found ok was Johnny Walker Blue label, and The Black Grouse(although that was quite Peaty). Let me how it turns out. Cheers

3 hours ago, Deekthebuddie said:

Not really a fan of blended whisky but heard mixed reports about Haig Club and Clubman. The only other blends I've found ok was Johnny Walker Blue label, and The Black Grouse(although that was quite Peaty). Let me how it turns out. Cheers

Good blends and you mention some are taken from the best malts talking good blends like a good Malt myself Haig have hit the right note for me at least it’s a belter.  Edit just had a few lol. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

If you haven't tried Passport (a blend), I'd recommend it. Very good indeed.

My Hogmanay bottle is a Cardhu Gold Reserve. I bought it as a wee present to myself for being a good boy (most of the time....).

Our eldest got us a bottle of Isle of Harris Gin, which I'm looking forward to trying (possibly to warm me up after the game tomorrow night).

• 1 month later...

Popped into the Last Post for a spot of lunch prior to yesterday's game and had the good fortune to meet a guy who has a bit of expertise in the whisky trade. He has been in the game for twenty odd years and certainly knows the difference between a sherry cask and a bourbon cask.

Preferring  a Speyside  to your highland or Island malts he identified I had a  taste for young malts from a bourbon cask and treated me to a Knockando  12 year old served with 3 ice cubes no water. Very smooth loved it. 

He recommended the Lochnagar 12year old served the same way but unfortunately the last post didn't have any.

On 28/12/2017 at 6:39 PM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Got a  few bottles at Christmas what surprised me was Haig Club what a cracker the balance is spot on , it's light and very enjoyable for sure will be buying this in the future. 

Cheapest over here is £27 for club , Brookers its £16 a bargain Brookers is a trade supplier even at that the margin from shop shelf to trade supplier is bigger than other good quality whisky. 

Didn’t realise that thanks for the info. Was still a good buy for me tho as it was supposed to have been £28 (allegedly) and it helped pass a Friday night !!

20 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

Had a couple of drams of either the North British or a Strathclyde grain last year. Was nice.

Bought an Irish grain that was on special (Kilkreany)sp. Just use it in cooking now as wasn't as good as what I had previously.

Does it not taint the flavour of your beans on toast ? :unsure:

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:59 PM, cockles1987 said:

Its now discontinued, I'd advise checking online for any shops that may have it for sale. ☹️

Ps mine aren't for sale. emoji14.png
5d1634ba9a7322b1a29d3b29510e52e6.jpg

ye didn't even drink the stuff til someone with taste introduced ye tae it ya big peroni drinking muppet :-)

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:32 PM, Drew said:

If you haven't tried Passport (a blend), I'd recommend it. Very good indeed.

My Hogmanay bottle is a Cardhu Gold Reserve. I bought it as a wee present to myself for being a good boy (most of the time....).

Our eldest got us a bottle of Isle of Harris Gin, which I'm looking forward to trying (possibly to warm me up after the game tomorrow night).

I liked me a wee Passport when I still bought from Chivas, was recommend by an electrician in there.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Have you bagged Chivas on account of them doing the dirty on the town?

No purely personal reasons, tho I am not impressed with their decision to leave Paisley.

49 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

I can think of 55,000 reasons emoji23.png

aye I feckin wish...55,000 weeks waiting on it more like it!!!

Guest TPAFKATS

ye didn't even drink the stuff til someone with taste introduced ye tae it ya big peroni drinking muppet :-)

Ya big peroni drinking muppet is the best put down I've read on here in quite some time.