Whisky Drinkers

thomsons dropped it

Always buy Black Bottle when you see it, one of the best blends there is.

On a side note a pal of mine has been doing a bit of work with the Scotch Whisky Association and in recent conversation with a very knowledgeable industry figure the subject of the water used came up. In response to his question about how important it was to the taste of the end product, there was much guffawing and tapping of the side of the nose. The overwhelming consensus put the importance of the water 'drawn from the mystic and ancient well where Jeannie Macleod met her tragic end' etc etc in the same category of legend as the Loch Ness Monster; some distilleries just use the same stuff that comes out of the tap and nobody seems to have noticed.

On a side note a pal of mine has been doing a bit of work with the Scotch Whisky Association and in recent conversation with a very knowledgeable industry figure the subject of the water used came up. In response to his question about how important it was to the taste of the end product, there was much guffawing and tapping of the side of the nose. The overwhelming consensus put the importance of the water 'drawn from the mystic and ancient well where Jeannie Macleod met her tragic end' etc etc in the same category of legend as the Loch Ness Monster; some distilleries just use the same stuff that comes out of the tap and nobody seems to have noticed.

Partial to black bottle... same makers as Scottish Leader, is it not?

Burn Stewart have an impressive range.

If you'd seen Jeannie Macleod's knickers, you would know why they never went near that well again.

• 2 weeks later...

All booked up for the next Whisky Night at the Artisan in Wishaw in June. £35 for a three course dinner and 6 whisky's presented by Douglas Laing's. The night sold out within two hours of being publicised. The next one is in September. Can't wait.

Buggers. . After being designated driver at the last one I really fancied that. Would def have considered going.

Ach well... I have a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15yr old to take to a house concert on Friday.

All booked up for the next Whisky Night at the Artisan in Wishaw in June. £35 for a three course dinner and 6 whisky's presented by Douglas Laing's. The night sold out within two hours of being publicised. The next one is in September. Can't wait.

Comments on Ballantine's 18 Year old Blended pish water, Stuart please ?

Buggers. . After being designated driver at the last one I really fancied that. Would def have considered going.

Ach well... I have a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15yr old to take to a house concert on Friday.

Who are you going to see? I've to half a dozen Francis Dunnery(It Bites, Robert Plant) house gigs, always a good night. Friends have been to see the likes of Dan Reed and Boo Hewerdine. Nice to get to speak to your heroes in a relaxed atmosphere.

I don't know if you use Facebook BinEK, but if you get signed up to their page you'll find out about these evenings first. I got notification of the June night that afternoon and by the time I'd contacted a few people to see if they wanted me to book us all in they were down to their last 8 seats.

Article in the Scotsman regarding world whisky sales. Last year total world sales were £43 billion wow ! Had a great night out in Edinburgh last night drinking too many Monkey Shoulder with Coke feel good today no hangover always the sign of a decent drink. Normally drink whisky with water but last night was going to be a long session so fancied a mixer

Edited by Lochwinnoch Saint

Who are you going to see? I've to half a dozen Francis Dunnery(It Bites, Robert Plant) house gigs, always a good night. Friends have been to see the likes of Dan Reed and Boo Hewerdine. Nice to get to speak to your heroes in a relaxed atmosphere.

I'm going to see Boo Hewerdine in a couple of months... at a bowling club in Anniesland... been a massive fan of his for years and he was one of the original exponents of the "House Gig"... would love to be at one of his.

Going to see Dean Owens in Elderslie tonight... crowd of around 25.

Last time I was there he played from 8pm till nearly midnight with hosts putting on an amazing buffet in the middle.

Over 30 songs before the formal part ended... then he came back out with his guitar and jammed till nearly 2am... it was sensational! Even better... the bloke that organised it recorded the whole thing and edited it for a cracking cd!

I was driving that night... but not tonight. thumbup2.gif

I don't know if you use Facebook BinEK, but if you get signed up to their page you'll find out about these evenings first. I got notification of the June night that afternoon and by the time I'd contacted a few people to see if they wanted me to book us all in they were down to their last 8 seats.

cheers Stuart... good shout. thumbup2.gif

• 1 month later...

won a bottle of Ballantines Brasil at the Tile POTY do last week, tried it last night with a bit of ice - nice. I googled it and it says to have with ice and lemonade (a highland samba) or apple juice (a glen trio) . Trying it with lemonade nice and its is nice, refreshing but lemonade is just too sweet for me. nice wee hauf tho :-)

won a bottle of Ballantines Brasil at the Tile POTY do last week, tried it last night with a bit of ice - nice. I googled it and it says to have with ice and lemonade (a highland samba) or apple juice (a glen trio) . Trying it with lemonade nice and its is nice, refreshing but lemonade is just too sweet for me. nice wee hauf tho :-)

Apple juice and blended whisky that's a new one on me and can't imagine how that would taste good quality vodka and apple juice is very nice but still trying to get my head around the whisky with it. Just need to try one at some time though that will be in the house can you imagine the look from bar staff asking for that.

Eating a bit of 70% dark chocolate then taking a sip of whisky is yummy got that on a whisky tour.

Apple juice and blended whisky that's a new one on me and can't imagine how that would taste good quality vodka and apple juice is very nice but still trying to get my head around the whisky with it. Just need to try one at some time though that will be in the house can you imagine the look from bar staff asking for that.

Eating a bit of 70% dark chocolate then taking a sip of whisky is yummy got that on a whisky tour.

aye i'm not convinced by the apple juice but thought would try the lemonade. I love dark chocolate and a glass of red

• 4 weeks later...

I had a fantastic night last night at the Artisan restaurant in Wishaw where it was Whisky Tasting Night. A three course dinner and 6 whisky's for £35. 6 whisky's promptly became 8 when the host announced he'd brought along an extra two bottles for us to try for free as well and that became 14 when I had to help my girlfriend, who was driving, to finish her whisky cause it would be terrible to waste such good stuff.

The host was from Douglas Laing and he brought along

Auchentoshan 15 year old

Old Particular Speyside 17 year old

Scallywag

Old Peat

Cannae remember the other ones on account of the fact that by the time I'd had two each of them I'd started to teeter.

There was one that had come straight from the cask that was delicious. It was only 5 years old too. I've no idea what that one was though.

The next night is in September. Watch out for details on their Facebook page. The menu from last night is attached and I can vouch totally for the black pudding started and that f**king amazing Octomore Beef.

post-306-0-11936100-1402586314_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuart Dickson

I had a fantastic night last night at the Artisan restaurant in Wishaw where it was Whisky Tasting Night. A three course dinner and 6 whisky's for £35. 6 whisky's promptly became 8 when the host announced he'd brought along an extra two bottles for us to try for free as well and that became 14 when I had to help my girlfriend, who was driving, to finish her whisky cause it would be terrible to waste such good stuff.

The host was from Douglas Laing and he brought along

Auchentoshan 15 year old

Old Particular Speyside 17 year old

Scallywag

Old Peat

Cannae remember the other ones on account of the fact that by the time I'd had two each of them I'd started to teeter.

There was one that had come straight from the cask that was delicious. It was only 5 years old too. I've no idea what that one was though.

The next night is in September. Watch out for details on their Facebook page. The menu from last night is attached and I can vouch totally for the black pudding started and that f**king amazing Octomore Beef.

Sounds like Gary Glitters last dinner party.

• 1 month later...

I was at Whisky on the Fringe on Sunday and I have to say that despite an galling lack of seats it was fantastic. £27.50 for a ticket which then allowed you as much whisky as you could handle from a number of whisky distilleries who were there promoting their wares. Included in the price was a free Royal Mile Whisky nosing glass which you used to get all your samples and a £10 discount voucher if you chose to buy any bottles at the end of the event.

There was some brilliant whisky for tasting. My top three I bought in the end was a Balvennie 21 Year Old Portwood - £128 per bottle, the Glenmorangie Lasanta which was a more modest £36 per bottle and the Macallen Amber which is £48 a bottle.

Amongst the others I vaguely remember a Jura that was tasty. I was sure it was an 18 year old but the catalogue seems to suggest it was a 16 year old. A Tamdhu which I can't find on the catalogue but which was labelled as the "Whisky for today" and a Dalmore 18 year old that I really enjoyed. I also tried my first Japanese whisky - a Yamazaki - which wasn't the worst although at £94 a bottle I don't think it was good enough to be tempted to try it again.