Whisky Drinkers

thomsons dropped it

I was at Whisky on the Fringe on Sunday and I have to say that despite an galling lack of seats it was fantastic. £27.50 for a ticket which then allowed you as much whisky as you could handle from a number of whisky distilleries who were there promoting their wares. Included in the price was a free Royal Mile Whisky nosing glass which you used to get all your samples and a £10 discount voucher if you chose to buy any bottles at the end of the event.

There was some brilliant whisky for tasting. My top three I bought in the end was a Balvennie 21 Year Old Portwood - £128 per bottle, the Glenmorangie Lasanta which was a more modest £36 per bottle and the Macallen Amber which is £48 a bottle.

Amongst the others I vaguely remember a Jura that was tasty. I was sure it was an 18 year old but the catalogue seems to suggest it was a 16 year old. A Tamdhu which I can't find on the catalogue but which was labelled as the "Whisky for today" and a Dalmore 18 year old that I really enjoyed. I also tried my first Japanese whisky - a Yamazaki - which wasn't the worst although at £94 a bottle I don't think it was good enough to be tempted to try it again.

I won a bottle of Auchentoshan Three Wood in a raffle!!!!

mmmmmmmmmmm

Nectar.

Comments on Ballantine's 18 Year old Blended pish water, Stuart please ?

Collect whisky to put to auction in later years. Also watch the whisky auction sales every month and receive the whisky monthly magazine. Around five years ago bought a bottle of Ballantine's 17 year old which won blended whisky of the year the 18 year old has been getting good write up lately though have not tried it myself.

This month bought a limited edition of 25 year old Ben Nevis cask strength. Ben Nevis constantly get's great

reviews from whisky critics.

Most of the whisky's in my collection have more than trebled in price at auction which is a much bigger return than saving with a bank.

Another good investment is from a new distillery in South Uist where you can order their very first bottling , first edition cask strength kept for 10 years or more are big money spinners.

The nip I love at the moment is Dalmore King Alexandra 111 with just a drop of water it tastes like a good Cognac.

The Daughter bought me Monkey Shoulder for fathers day , however according to my daughter it is still in her flat in Edinburgh , maybe I will get it for Christmas ! ! !

I'm genuinely interested to know if anyone has ever got their hands on either of the malts that Aldi or Lidl sometimes do limited edition releases of.

I'm sure I read an article recently that lidl had won a gold medal for their whisky

For the money is a very good malt. There is also plenty good blends out there it should not be forgotten they come from various Malt whisky's

I had a fantastic night last night at the Artisan restaurant in Wishaw where it was Whisky Tasting Night. A three course dinner and 6 whisky's for £35. 6 whisky's promptly became 8 when the host announced he'd brought along an extra two bottles for us to try for free as well and that became 14 when I had to help my girlfriend, who was driving, to finish her whisky cause it would be terrible to waste such good stuff.

The host was from Douglas Laing and he brought along

Auchentoshan 15 year old

Old Particular Speyside 17 year old

Scallywag

Old Peat

Cannae remember the other ones on account of the fact that by the time I'd had two each of them I'd started to teeter.

There was one that had come straight from the cask that was delicious. It was only 5 years old too. I've no idea what that one was though.

The next night is in September. Watch out for details on their Facebook page. The menu from last night is attached and I can vouch totally for the black pudding started and that f**king amazing Octomore Beef.

In Wishaw- Brave lad lol

I'm genuinely interested to know if anyone has ever got their hands on either of the malts that Aldi or Lidl sometimes do limited edition releases of.

I'm sure I read an article recently that lidl had won a gold medal for their whisky

Had a dram of the Lidl stuff, queen Margot' or something like that, But i though they only done blended Whisky- Could be wrong though

My dad always has a bottle of Talisker in the house...good wee drop.

After that, Laphroaig isn't too bad. I had a nice dram at the bairn's last birthday whilst the sun was setting over the garden. That was a special night.

Real Ale is my more common poison, but you can't beat a cracking whisky.

My dad always has a bottle of Talisker in the house...good wee drop.

After that, Laphroaig isn't too bad. I had a nice dram at the bairn's last birthday whilst the sun was setting over the garden. That was a special night.

Real Ale is my more common poison, but you can't beat a cracking whisky.

Quite like a wee ale or two, and the Wetherspoons Real ale festival should be on the go soon. The Last post, Next to Gilmour Street Train station normally has a few, and The Counting House at George Square in Glasgow tends to have a lot, as its quite a big place.

Article in the Scotsman regarding world whisky sales. Last year total world sales were £43 billion wow ! Had a great night out in Edinburgh last night drinking too many Monkey Shoulder with Coke feel good today no hangover always the sign of a decent drink. Normally drink whisky with water but last night was going to be a long session so fancied a mixer

Blended whisky with Irn Bru is lovely....but kills your throat in the morning

Blended whisky with Irn Bru is lovely....but kills your throat in the morning

I used to do Bells with Cola when I was much younger - and went off that after a heavy session at my stag night and I've never touched Bells since. I've got a whole bottle of this rubbish to get through though. Not impressed. Maybe I'll need to host a party for people I don't like so I can pour this shit down them

A few years back after turning 40 I received a glut of whisky I neither rated or would never drink - que organising a Burns night for my esteemed Enhlish colleagues - for rid of a shed load of the stuff passing off cheap blends mixed with irn bru and apple tango as "rusty nail" and " Celtic warrior"

In the process a reasonably good night has gone down as "legendary" amongst friends

• 4 weeks later...

Stuart Chivas Regal seems to be a love or hate thing - never tasted it but spetd 3 days this week doing quality for it - tho not tasting!

Liverpool Bud - I had a wee Chivas Rusty nail the other night - Passport (nae salut left) and Lochan Ora - fab!

Just ordered another Lochan Ora and a Ballantines Brasil - yum!

Depends on your budget. As you say he's a beer drinker I'd recommend a grain whisky, less peat/burnt tasting that you might find if your not a whisky drinker.

For under £30 you could get a Bottle of North British, for just over £40 you can get a bottle of Strathclyde approx 60%.

Personaly I'd go for the Strathclyde even if it meant halfing in with someone for it.

Cheers for the input cockles. R

Depends on your budget. As you say he's a beer drinker I'd recommend a grain whisky, less peat/burnt tasting that you might find if your not a whisky drinker.

For under £30 you could get a Bottle of North British, for just over £40 you can get a bottle of Strathclyde approx 60%.

Personaly I'd go for the Strathclyde even if it meant halfing in with someone for it.

Went it the whisky shop in buchannan galleries and plumped for a bottle of Glenturret Single Malt. It's exclusive to them. They have 3 choices. I tried two of them, being a non whisky drinker, they were actually palatable !! So I plumped for the one I didn't try purely because the other two were actually ok and I know feck all about whisky so they are probably shit !!!! Here is the description for anyone interested.

This unique triple wood cask selection has been hand picked. The combination of American sherry oak, European sherry oak and ex bourbon casks make for a wonderfully rich and creamy single malt. The aroma is a fragrant mix of orange peel, vanilla and pear drops with a taste of cedar wood, cinnamon coated marzipan and a hint of coconut. The lingering oaki was finishes this exclusive dram.

FFS sounds like the great British bake off!!!!

R

• 8 months later...

Hello Again Fellow Buddies, been quiet on here for a while........now...

The Production Ship I work on (Petrojarl Foinaven) passed a notable milestone last December, 350 Million Barrels of Oil produced.(plus a load of Gas but don't know how

much).

As a "Thank You" Teekay have commisioned some nice Bottles of Whisky for us Employees. The Bottles are Numbered, the first 23 go to the guys who were involved in the build down in Spain in 1996 that are still with Teekay. After that it is just random .There are 250 Bottles in total produced.As you can see I got Number 11. Been with the Company 19 years and one week........and counting.

Well pleased with my Whisky.thumbup2.gif

post-6073-0-92320900-1432919395_thumb.jppost-6073-0-22642300-1432919431_thumb.jppost-6073-0-44578500-1432919463_thumb.jp

Edited by thomsons dropped it

Hello Again Fellow Buddies, been quiet on here for a while........now...

The Production Ship I work on (Petrojarl Foinaven) passed a notable milestone last December, 350 Million Barrels of Oil produced.(plus a load of Gas but don't know how

much).

As a "Thank You" Teekay have commisioned some nice Bottles of Whisky for us Employees. The Bottles are Numbered, the first 23 go to the guys who were involved in the build down in Spain in 1996 that are still with Teekay. After that it is just random .There are 250 Bottles in total produced.As you can see I got Number 11. Been with the Company 19 years and one week........and counting.

Well pleased with my Whisky.thumbup2.gif

attachicon.gifDSCF2807.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF2808.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF2809.JPG

Very nice , are you going to save it or have a wee dram now and again ?

Looking forward to my trip home as the wife is going to Italy with her mates for a week so I have booked a long weekend in Islay. My mate works for Jura so he has booked me a tour. also plan to go round a few on Islay.

It's for keeping Ian, I like stuff like that, "nice to have" as my Norwegian Shipmates would say.

I should be at work but we are swapping one of the old style Lifeboats for two new Freefall type so with the reduced P.O.B. I get a free pass this trip.

Eight weeks off ohmy.pngshock1.gifclap.gif Ya Beauty !!!