Worst Player

There has been hundreds of very poor players, a lot have correctly been named above.

Kenny Gillies was a dreadful player.

Ricky Gillies and David Elliot, no doubt had plenty football talent, but for some reason or other chose not to show it.

Elliot, in particular, was a disgrace to the stripes, a lazy f*cking waster, whose strip didnae need washed the whole time he was here.

I suppose you've got to define what really constitutes worst player - are we gonna go for one of the many youngsters who made about a dozen or so appearances in struggling teams while we were in Division 1, or a loanee/trialist like Galloway, Kelechi Okore or Fellner who only made a couple of appearances?

IMO candidates for this award have got to offer something more than mere incompetance, take Mikael Renfrum who disgraced the stripes for part of the 2000/01 season - the only reason he remains in my memory is an interview he gave saying the SPL was a poor league and a lot of the players unfit, now perhaps he had a point but if the league was poor it was still a level above his ability and as for fitness he wasn't fit to lace up Mark Yardley's boots although by that time it might have been a bit of an effort for Boom-Boom!

My nomination is Chic Charnley because he was not a team player - the incident that sticks in my mind is a game against Raith we were breaking from a corner & Charnley had a chance to go past the last player but he turned inside & back, ran into a retreating Raith player did it a second time and then once again. From a 50/50 chance of having a crack at goal to having the ball in midfied with the Raith team between him & the goal in three steps and then he stopped to milk the somewhat muted applause. One incident amongst many where I thought he was more concerned about making himself look good than what the team needed and that's without considering his lack of discipline which saw shipped out temporarily to Bolton in 91/92 and booted out completely the following season.

Was part of the team that got relegated in 1991/92 and is it any co-incidence that Thistle got promoted that season - I think not! He spent the bulk of his career yoyoing between Division 1 & the Premier League but was never a member of a promotion winning side while he was relegated on a number of occasions which I think just about sums him up - style over substance.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Steve Kinsey surely has to get a mention. Hugged the touchline never getting involved in a game and was so frail he could hide behind the touchline. Terrible signing. Jim Beattie was worthy of a mention as were the likes of Roland Fabiani and Garry McGrotty

Had high hopes for McGrotty.

Steve Kinsey surely has to get a mention. Hugged the touchline never getting involved in a game and was so frail he could hide behind the touchline. Terrible signing. Jim Beattie was worthy of a mention as were the likes of Roland Fabiani and Garry McGrotty

Grant Inglis was another from that era, John Peacock and another lad we signed from Aberdeen the same time as Stephen Watson, Higgins rings a bell?

We had some right horrible players from about 91-98. That was some of my younger years supporting Saints and thinking back I struggle to list an All Star XI.

Grant Inglis was another from that era, John Peacock and another lad we signed from Aberdeen the same time as Stephen Watson, Higgins rings a bell?

We had some right horrible players from about 91-98. That was some of my younger years supporting Saints and thinking back I struggle to list an All Star XI.

Paisley Panda and Yardley were the stars of that decade.

Brian Docherty got plenty games under Fergie too ,story is he was chased 'cos he was a piss artist. Scored v RFC and got the winner v 'well in season 77/78 and played at Bolton in our famous Anglo Scottish Cup run ! Captained Arbroath after he left us .

Pretty sure Brian left as he was not full time as he had an apprenticeship and saints gave him the go full time or leave ultimatum, so he left. Apparently that was fergies big thing to make sure the players all had trades in case they got injured or did by make it.

Pretty sure Brian left as he was not full time as he had an apprenticeship and saints gave him the go full time or leave ultimatum, so he left. Apparently that was fergies big thing to make sure the players all had trades in case they got injured or did by make it.

Similar story with the aforementioned Grant Inglis who was part-time and had a good job outside the game. Surprised to see Inglis mentioned in the "worst ever" category - typical small & aggressive oldskool Scottish midfielder scored 3 goals in 16 league appearances so not the worst ever.

Similar story with the aforementioned Grant Inglis who was part-time and had a good job outside the game. Surprised to see Inglis mentioned in the "worst ever" category - typical small & aggressive oldskool Scottish midfielder scored 3 goals in 16 league appearances so not the worst ever.

But if the 3 goals in 16 was over a two year period then it's a little pish.

I mentioned him as he was part of an era of pure shite, there are many others that have been erased from memory.

Has the former Arsenal, Monaco and Liberian striker been named?

But if the 3 goals in 16 was over a two year period then it's a little pish.

I mentioned him as he was part of an era of pure shite, there are many others that have been erased from memory.

Has the former Arsenal, Monaco and Liberian striker been named?

He might have been on the books for two years but IIRC he was loaned out to a Forfar at the start of his second season and never came back, as I said oldskool midfielder and far from the worst I've seen play for Saints. The incredible diving Jim Dick from that era was a far worse player although the shorts incident moon.gif at Cappielow redeems him somewhat.