2012 Financial Report

Bud the Baker

Seems like a pretty decent set of accounts pre Rangers absence...and hopefully the semi final (and final) will offset some of the inevitable shortfall. Also the sale of Kenny McLean, should provide a substantial windfall as well.

The pleasing thing is that since we survived the initial armageddon punk.gif and the fact that we only offer 2 year contracts mean that those players on wages given before the rangers crisis, will be expiring. Although we may not be able to replace them with the same level of quality, and the standard of player may diminish, St Mirren should be relatively safe.

St. Mirren's track record since you stated that Gilmour was "killing the club softly" has been to get the club out of the First Division, establish it as an SPL club, clear a £3 million debt, build a brand new SPL compliant stadium and deliver a brand new training complex.

laugh.png

Yet I was sat at a meeting with Gilmour during the summer where he predicted the loss of Rangers from the SPL could put St Mirren out of business. You are right though - that wasn't so much killing the club softly as stamping on it's head whilst knifing it repeatedly through the heart. :rolleyes:

Yet I was sat at a meeting with Gilmour during the summer where he predicted the loss of Rangers from the SPL could put St Mirren out of business. You are right though - that wasn't so much killing the club softly as stamping on it's head whilst knifing it repeatedly through the heart. rolleyes.gif

Are you saying that Gilmour should have predicted that one of the biggest clubs in Scotland would go into administration? Compared to the other teams in the SPL (especially Hearts) we are doing very well financially.

Are you saying that Gilmour should have predicted that one of the biggest clubs in Scotland would go into administration? Compared to the other teams in the SPL (especially Hearts) we are doing very well financially.

No. As I said at the meeting the thing I found surprising - even shocking - was that Gilmour was claiming that he didn't think Rangers would go into liquidation despite already knowing that they were in Administration with a pending tax court case that was likely to bury the club under a further £100m of debt. Gilmour was claiming that had he been able to predict Rangers demise in March 2012 he could have fixed things at St Mirren Park so St Mirren would have been OK, but instead he was caught on the hop with the sudden liquidation. Rangers went into administration on the 14th of February 2012.

Yet I was sat at a meeting with Gilmour during the summer where he predicted the loss of Rangers from the SPL could put St Mirren out of business. You are right though - that wasn't so much killing the club softly as stamping on it's head whilst knifing it repeatedly through the heart. rolleyes.gif

The word there is "could".

Had the sponsors and TV money been pulled out then there is every probability the club would have gone into administration.

And how would that have been Gilmour's fault?

No. As I said at the meeting the thing I found surprising - even shocking - was that Gilmour was claiming that he didn't think Rangers would go into liquidation despite already knowing that they were in Administration with a pending tax court case that was likely to bury the club under a further £100m of debt. Gilmour was claiming that had he been able to predict Rangers demise in March 2012 he could have fixed things at St Mirren Park so St Mirren would have been OK, but instead he was caught on the hop with the sudden liquidation. Rangers went into administration on the 14th of February 2012.

What could he possibly have done to "fix" things before the summer?

I suspect you have made this bit up...

The Caledonia Street facility lost money every year, hence why they gave it up to a 3rd party.

I thought it made money at the start but you're correct by late 2005 it was losing money and control was transferred out of the club.

I used to play 5's there from when it opened up until about 2000 when I changed jobs but over that period you could see a deterioration in the facilities - broken lockers not fixed, the same with tiles in the shower area maybe it was just that with the need to finance other activities the upkeep of the gym was overlooked.

Seems like a pretty decent set of accounts pre Rangers absence...and hopefully the semi final (and final) will offset some of the inevitable shortfall. Also the sale of Kenny McLean, should provide a substantial windfall as well.

The pleasing thing is that since we survived the initial armageddon punk.gif and the fact that we only offer 2 year contracts mean that those players on wages given before the rangers crisis, will be expiring.

I think the club has begun offering longer contracts again and scrapped the 2 year maximum contract which had been in place for a while. Fairly sure that no longer after Kenny McLean broke into the first team during DL's first year in charge that his contract was extended until 2014 (and that would have been around 2010 or early 2011 when his new longer deal was announced). Pretty sure that Carey and McGowan were signed on 3 year deals as well and did Cheesy not also get an unusually long contract too?

I think the club has begun offering longer contracts again and scrapped the 2 year maximum contract which had been in place for a while. Fairly sure that no longer after Kenny McLean broke into the first team during DL's first year in charge that his contract was extended until 2014 (and that would have been around 2010 or early 2011 when his new longer deal was announced). Pretty sure that Carey and McGowan were signed on 3 year deals as well and did Cheesy not also get an unusually long contract too?

I'm sure McGowan and Carey signed for two years and Cheesy for three. All of them will be out this summer.

Five a side pitches are great business , and an indoor pitches, changing rooms and a bar would generate quite a bit of income , I think we done not too badly out of the Caledonia street facility ,the facility would also provide training facilities during the bad weather , continued good business by the current board ,

They would be if you could block book.

We play every Wednesday at the Pitz because you can't block book St Mirren Park.

£56 an hour down the that we would much prefer to give to St Mirren.

The word there is "could".

Had the sponsors and TV money been pulled out then there is every probability the club would have gone into administration.

And how would that have been Gilmour's fault?

By the same token, if a big fairy had done a giant Jobby on St Mirren Park overnight then there was also every probability the club would have gone into administration.

The reality is that rangers were removed from the SPL, but despite SG's prediction that Armageddon would ensue, it still husnae happened.

People like SG were talking the game down, predicting doom if their beloved ICBINR went out of existence, in order to convince fans that a dirty deal must be done to keep them in the SPL.

Let's not forget that bad time and bad performances, and let's not gloss over it.

My understanding is that the club can't use Ralston for commercial purposes, ie hiring out any of the pitches.

I would expect that, yeah. What I was meaning though, could they not have had the same type of pitches at the Ralston complex as well as at Greenhill Road but thanks to Braidmeister I now know that isn't possible. We wouldn't want to be hiring out our training complex to any potential rivals anyway.

When a single main stand pitch side advert is worth potentially more in revenue than around 10 season ticket holders, then you can start to understand why the clubs are so dependent on TV deals and the add on commercials that it brings.

It took the possibility of fans no longer being there to look at pitch side adverts or watch it on tv, to bring the owners to their senses and understand the true worth of pitch-side ads. Without fans - professional fitba is deid. Ten missing season ticket holders can't be replaced by ten more adverts... well... they can, but wtf?

How many of us would have been prepared to do what the current BoD have done over the last 15years and not made some mistakes along the way?

Not me and I won't knock the current incumbents, for their selfless acts.

However, they're looking after my team and when they do bad things or make such a horrifyingly unjustifiable prediction of Armageddon, I will speak out.

By the same token, if a big fairy had done a giant Jobby on St Mirren Park overnight then there was also every probability the club would have gone into administration.

The reality is that rangers were removed from the SPL, but despite SG's prediction that Armageddon would ensue, it still husnae happened.

People like SG were talking the game down, predicting doom if their beloved ICBINR went out of existence, in order to convince fans that a dirty deal must be done to keep them in the SPL.

Let's not forget that bad time and bad performances, and let's not gloss over it.

That is all totally true Bluto. I agree with you.

However, its irrelevant to the fact that Rangers going down the tubes had nothing to do with Gilmour and with most of the squad not out of contract this summer, there was nothing he could do to "fix" things.

You also have to look at it from Gilmour's perspective. If the worst had happened and sponsors and Sky had pulled out then Gilmour would have been faced with either ploughing in more of his own cash to save the situation or put the club into administration.

The fact is that since SD claimed that Gilmour was "killing the club softly" the club has in actual fact been completely and utterly transformed.

No getting away from the fact that many club owners were shitting themselves with the potential loss of sponsors and TV deals. The "rank and file" supporter base are no longer the financial backbone of a club. When a single main stand pitch side advert is worth potentially more in revenue than around 10 season ticket holders, then you can start to understand why the clubs are so dependent on TV deals and the add on commercials that it brings.

At no point did any of the sponsors or tv companies indicate that they would consider leaving.

You also have to look at it from Gilmour's perspective. If the worst had happened and sponsors and Sky had pulled out then Gilmour would have been faced with either ploughing in more of his own cash to save the situation or put the club into administration.

Sky were quite adamant that they never indicated that anything of the sort was ever even considered by them. Gilmour was sucked into the Doncaster and media scaremongering when in reality there was never an actual threat of loss of sponsorship or armageddon.

Perhaps SG was hoodwinked,

The word is "duped".

Murray was duped by Whyte, apparently.

Duff and Duffer was duped by Whyte.

And the blue meanie fans were duped by Whyte.

Whyte was duped by Ticketus and has been attempted to have been duped by Green.

Lloyds Banking Group was duped by Murray.

HMRC was duped by Whyte and his myriad companies.

etc etc etc

The blue meanies are about to be duped AGAIN - this time by Green.

It's all duping. smile.png

And it's all fun...

... except, for me, when SG was duped during the summer.

Edited by bluto