St Mirren V Celtic League Cup Semi Final

shull

Its not rocket science - bring Mair back into central defence snd push Goodwin into the holding role. PLAY McGinn one of the best player we have and drop Robertson. Why Lennon seems to want to build the team around him is beyond me. I'd also take a flyer and give Imrie a free role supporting Thommo - can't be any worse than Parkin/Guy.

COYS !

Its not rocket science - bring Mair back into central defence snd push Goodwin into the holding role. PLAY McGinn one of the best player we have and drop Robertson. Why Lennon seems to want to build the team around him is beyond me. I'd also take a flyer and give Imrie a free role supporting Thommo - can't be any worse than Parkin/Guy.

COYS !

You have given away our team to Celtic!...........Your plan including Imrie is the best we can do imho....coys.

Samson

DVZ McAusland Goodwin Barron

Teale McGowan McGinn McLean Carey

Thompson

In terms of thinking who should play next week, this is what I came up with.

Samson

DVZ McAusland Mair Barron

Goodwin

Teale McGowan McGinn Imrie

Thommo

4-5-1 defensively, effectively 4-3-3 on the break. Get intae them-nothing to lose and everything to gain!

Samson

DVZ McAusland Mair Barron

Goodwin

Teale McGowan McGinn Imrie

Thommo

4-5-1 defensively, effectively 4-3-3 on the break. Get intae them-nothing to lose and everything to gain!

This is pretty much how i would line up, only change would be if we have a LB in place (Dummet?) he would be in for Barron, would possibly have to consider McLean if he is fit aswell, don't know who i would take out for him though. As you have said playing that formation should enable us to be defensive when we need to be but be able to get men forward when the chance comes.

We need to get back to basics and get our experienced defensive heads on the field. Get Mair and Vanzy back in the team and get Goodwin in midfield, reintroduce young McGinn. Barron, Parkin, Robertson and Newton will need to go back to the bench. I'd like us to play the formation that worked so well in Inverness, 4-4-1-1. Parkin and Guy have been hopeless for months, neither of them should start.

Samson

Van Zanten

Mair

McAusland

Carey ( although i'd like us to sign a left back this week )

McGinn

Goodwin

McLean ( he was apparently targeting this game for a return, we certainly missed him yesterday )

Teale

McGowan

Thompson

If Kenny can't start it's a 3 way battle between Barron, Robertson and Newton for the central midfield. Based on yesterdays performance i don't think either of them are up for it, but all would be a better option than Imrie.

I am dreading this game and looking forward to it in equal measure. All evidence points to us getting another hounding, but hey, you never know.

Is anyone taking a guess at a final result for this one? unsure.png

Celtic 1-2 St.Mirren

They'll get an early goal. We get one before half time. A nervous second half ended by thommohawk rising the highest to nod the ball into the top left hand corner, and sends the buddies through to the final. Put money on it.

If we get through on Sunday it will be this football clubs best result since May 16th 1987. We still sing the names of the players who scored the last time we beat one of the Old Firm in Glasgow.... The first goal was scored by Paul Lambert...

If we win on Sunday we will be singing the names of the heroes of the day in 20 years. These players could become legends.

When did we last beat either of the Old Firm at Hampden? It wasn't 1959 was it?

Edited by Lex

In the semi at Ibrox in 62, (the OTHER arse-cheek was at Hamden that day) we hammered Shellic so hard the 'fans' invaded the pitch to try to get the game abandoned at 3-0 for Saints.

FT 3-1 smile.png

Edited by bluto

If we get through on Sunday it will be this football clubs best result since May 16th 1987. We still sing the names of the players who scored the last time we beat one of the Old Firm in Glasgow.... The first goal was scored by Paul Lambert...

If we win on Sunday we will be singing the names of the heroes of the day in 20 years. These players could become legends.

1962? Beat Celtic 3-1 in the semi and then beaten 2-0 by a deceased team in the final

In the semi at Ibrox in 62, (the OTHER arse-cheek was at Hamden that day) we hammered Shellic so hard the 'fans' invaded the pitch to try to get the game abandoned at 3-0 for Saints.

FT 3-1 smile.png

So not Hampden then :P

More than 50 years anyway, these players really could make history this weekend.

Samson

DVZ McAusland Mair Dummet/Carey

Teale McLean Goodwin McGinn

McGowan

Thompson

McGowan must perform, help out the midfield when needed and get forward with Teale and McGinn when he can.

It kills me to put McGinn on the wing cos his best position is in the middle, but needs must.

1-0 Saints. McGowan, 79 mins, followed by 15 minutes of frantic, all-hands-to-the-pump, body-on-the-line, last-ditch defending.

I'm taking my Celtic-supporting girlfriend to her first Saints game. We'd better win this or I'll never hear the end of it.

Considering tying her to the seat, but if you hear someone let out a small squeal of delight if they score, please don't hurt her.

Samson

DVZ McAusland Mair Dummet/Carey

Teale McLean Goodwin McGinn

McGowan

Thompson

McGowan must perform, help out the midfield when needed and get forward with Teale and McGinn when he can.

It kills me to put McGinn on the wing cos his best position is in the middle, but needs must.

1-0 Saints. McGowan, 79 mins, followed by 15 minutes of frantic, all-hands-to-the-pump, body-on-the-line, last-ditch defending.

I'm taking my Celtic-supporting girlfriend to her first Saints game. We'd better win this or I'll never hear the end of it.

Considering tying her to the seat, but if you hear someone let out a small squeal of delight if they score, please don't hurt her.

I think that's the team most of us would like to see, because it's our strongest 11. With Guy and Parkin struggling we really should go back to the 451 that served us well last term. Its also good to have the pace of Imrie and Guy in reserve for later on.