St Mirren V Celtic League Cup Semi Final

shull

Why do you even care what the press think? Seriously isn't life too short for worrying about that?

Personally I'm more worried that we'll simply bottle it, roll over, tickle their tummies and offer them 6 goals without batting an eyelid.

I've never been more sure of anything since I outed shull from the closet last year.

I'll be straight back in it if we lose by 5 or 6 on Sunday. bag.gif

It is a bit worrying going into this game that we don't really know what our best line up should be. So many questions. Should Barron start at rb ahead of Vanzy? Goodwin into midfield and bring Mair back in alongside cheesey? Has Dummett signed? Can Carey play at left back or should Barron play there? Is McGinn fully fit? Is Mclean fit again and ready to start? 4-5-1 with Thommo up on his own with McGowan in a supporting role from a 5 man midfield? Start the new lad alongside Thommo?

So many questions that Danny must have a real headache on his hands making sure he gets it right. We didn't get much joy at Parkhead at our last attempt but maybe with a fit Mclean and Mcgowan in the side things might be a bit more positive this time out.

I worry about our defence as we ship goals for fun but if they can play to their best, if Forster is out and Celtic have an off day then we might have a chance of a narrow victory.

Neil Lennon has won 4 lost 4 at Hampden so there is hope. You expect to be beat 9 times out of 10 against Celtic. Tomorrow will be Danny's 9th attempt so surely we are due ae victory?

DVZ must be given the nod at right back IMO.

I'd also play Imrie in the left to help Carey out. Defensively McGinn can struggle with position when playing on the left and isn't the quickest.

I'd seriously consider playing a midfield 5 with Goodwin and Barron as holding players. Our back 4 will need as much protection as possible, both players not afraid of a tackle and try should kick everything that moves.

Midfield 5 of

............Barron........Goodwin

Teale ..........McGowan........Imrie

Thomo up front to do the damage.

Plenty if defensive cover and pace on the counter.

COYS

I think Imrie offers next to no cover defensively and wouldn't have him anywhere near the starting 11. He always dives in early and sells himself, leaving Dummett / Carey exposed. I think McGinn works harder for the team defensively.

Not sure whether to start with Barron or DVZ as both struggled against Celtic in previous games.

I hope Mclean is fit as he could flourish on the big occasion.

DVZ must be given the nod at right back IMO.

I'd also play Imrie in the left to help Carey out. Defensively McGinn can struggle with position when playing on the left and isn't the quickest.

I'd seriously consider playing a midfield 5 with Goodwin and Barron as holding players. Our back 4 will need as much protection as possible, both players not afraid of a tackle and try should kick everything that moves.

Midfield 5 of

............Barron........Goodwin

Teale ..........McGowan........Imrie

Thomo up front to do the damage.

Plenty if defensive cover and pace on the counter.

COYS

Unfortunately it said In the evening times last week that collum was indeed the ref for our game.

that wee c**t! I can't believe Celtic fans actually think he has an agenda against them. He was the ref that allowed Boruc to assault Dargo wasn't he? Edited by Hambud

Despite recent blips, I'd get Div Barron in the starting line up, purely for the fact that he is a double hard bastard that never hides, is competitive and always gives his all. Therefore, I'd prefer him at right back to DVZ who is found lacking too often for me these days. I also think he s a better defender than DVZ. Less sure about the suggestions to play him in midfield - always looks exposed in there.

Assuming Dummet isn't signed (is he?) I'd play Carey at left back and make sure he's up for putting a shift in. His delivery from set pieces could be vital in a game where we may only have 30% possession. As Guy & Parkin are both mis-firing at the moment, we need to go with The Hawk on his own supported by Gowser, but we need to ensure that we give the wide guys (Teale & Imrie/McGinn) scope to fire crosses in - punting long balls up to a lone striker is suicidal. So I see it something like this

Samson

Barron Mair McAusland Carey

Teale Goodwin McLean Imrie

McGowan

The Hawk

If if ain't working, change it early and give the Portugese lad the chance to make himself a hero!!

Edited by Lizard King

Despite recent blips, I'd get Div Barron in the starting line up, purely for the fact that he is a double hard bastard that never hides, is competitive and always gives his all. Therefore, I'd prefer him at right back to DVZ who is found lacking too often for me these days. I also think he s a better defender than DVZ. Less sure about the suggestions to play him in midfield - always looks exposed in there.

Assuming Dummet isn't signed (is he?) I'd play Carey at left back and make sure he's up for putting a shift in. His delivery from set pieces could be vital in a game where we may only have 30% possession. As Guy & Parkin are both mis-firing at the moment, we need to go with The Hawk on his own supported by Gowser, but we need to ensure that we give the wide guys (Teale & Imrie/McGinn) scope to fire crosses in - punting long balls up to a lone striker is suicidal. So I see it something like this

Samson

Barron Mair McAusland Carey

Teale Goodwin McLean Imrie

McGowan

The Hawk

If if ain't working, change it early and give the Portugese lad the chance to make himself a hero!!

Been lying awake this morning with all the questions Mr Zo asks in his post above (#204) going through my head too.

Having thought it though I'm with you on this line-up, LK, with the exception of Imrie. Have to agree with Mr Zo that Dougie lacks a little composure when tracking back and creates problems of the full backs. They'll have enough of these to deal with!

Oh...and whoever said kick everything that moves - I agree with them too! wink.png

Been lying awake this morning with all the questions Mr Zo asks in his post above (#204) going through my head too.

Having thought it though I'm with you on this line-up, LK, with the exception of Imrie. Have to agree with Mr Zo that Dougie lacks a little composure when tracking back and creates problems of the full backs. They'll have enough of these to deal with!

Oh...and whoever said kick everything that moves - I agree with them too! :wink:

Fife Saint, the left side position was the toughest one for me so see where you are coming from. If I'm honest, I agree re: Imrie and think he has been disappointing so far, however if McGinn was playing, he is wasted out left and with his lack of pace may struggle there. So, whilst I'd much rather have McGinn in the team, I wouldn't want him to displace McLean in the centre for a game of this magnitude. If McLean is still injured, problem solved as McGinn can play there. The worrying thing is that I have a sneaky feeling that Danny will persist with Robertson, blowing my team selection out the water!!!

Got my ticket but the last time I felt like this about a game against Sellick I almost didn't go and at the last minute went f**k it. I'm glad I did, Dorman and Thomson scored a couple each, which is why I'll go tomorrow, there's always that slim chance of getting something out the game. As to the game we will need all the players to really work their arses off, close Sellick down quickly and put challenges in all over the park. For that reason I'd leave McLean out if he's fit, for all the talent he has, I think he's too lightweight when we need to battle it out in midfield.

There's always hope

Lets make plenty of noise tomorrow and get behind the team - if we can get through the first 20 minutes unscathed I think we might have a chance. Worry would be losing an early goal as that would further rattle our fragile defence.

As ever with Saints there will be no in between, we will either be brilliant or complete cack .... joys of being a Bud punk.gif

im guessing the green vermin team/fans are just as worried as us.....they have more to lose than us

for us the money is a welcome bonus and if we reach the final then it will be an added huge bonus which wasnt budgeted for

if we lose by 5 or more then we move on...it really means nothing as it has happened on many occasions (its expected by the vermin fans and mainstream media and probably all the other teams fans)

f**k them !!!

if we win...BRILLIANT !!!! ..... bragging rights are ours for many years

its not impossible although it will be difficult....anything can happen !!

just ENJOY IT !!!

Goodwins been a revelation since he's been put in at centre half, Really no need to be moving him into midfield for this game. We went on a great run over christmas. One bad game doesn't make our tactics and team selection null and void. Newton is naturally a holding midfielder, He can play there if needs be.

Celtic do play a crazy high defensive line with attacking full backs maybe Wingers is the way to go to get in behind them and DVZ and teale down the right. Goncalves in from the go, he looks like the sort of lad that could ruffle a few Wanyama/Brown feathers.

Edited by Dan Is The Man

Goodwins been a revelation since he's been put in at centre half, Really no need to be moving him into midfield for this game. We went on a great run over christmas. One bad game doesn't make our tactics and team selection null and void. Newton is naturally a holding midfielder, He can play there if needs be.

Celtic do play a crazy high defensive line with attacking full backs maybe Wingers is the way to go to get in behind them and DVZ and teale down the right. Goncalves in from the go, he looks like the sort of lad that could ruffle a few Wanyama/Brown feathers.

We need Goodwin in Midfield IMO, Celtic are very physical and strong and will run over us in this area we need a bit of steel. Our defence will be the death of us in this game, but we all know that.