St Mirren V Celtic League Cup Semi Final

shull

McAusland was man of the match for me. He did everything right, and had the balls to venture down to the byline to set up the third at 2-1, when he could easily have just sat back. A St. Mirren fan set up the winner, and a St. Mirren fan scored it. Woke up this morning and my hangover disappeared as soon as i remembered yesterdays heroics from our beloved team. Never been prouder to be a buddie.

McAusland was man of the match for me. He did everything right, and had the balls to venture down to the byline to set up the third at 2-1, when he could easily have just sat back. A St. Mirren fan set up the winner, and a St. Mirren fan scored it. Woke up this morning and my hangover disappeared as soon as i remembered yesterdays heroics from our beloved team. Never been prouder to be a buddie.

I agree entirely. I said at the match yesterday that, though every man was a hero, for me, the two that stood out were young McGinn and the aforementioned McAusland. Marc not only looked composed and calm in defence but his distribution in general was absolutely exquisite.

He takes a lot of flack in here so it was great to see such a mature display from what is, after all, still a young man.

Edited by stlucifer

I'm going to be slightly controversial here and say that there were several players I'd choose ahead of Cheesy - his central defensive partner for one, who was inspirational.

McAusland probably never put a foot wrong all afternoon except for Celtic's equaliser, where he lost Hooper and tried to play the offside trap, a very dangerous game against a poacher like him. I'm being harsh perhaps but it it's a credit to him and his teammates that he never let it get to him.

I am not saying he had a bad game though, far from it, and I'd love to see him get a national cup winner's medal. There is one thing Cheesy can never be faulted for, and that is heart, desire and effort, and he's been through the wringer a few times. He deserves it.

Edited by Sunny Saint

Back in Dublin and the relative safety to wear my Saints shirt in public.

Still. Buzzing.

My throat is absolutely goosed.

What a game - it still hasn't sunk in what I witnessed yesterday. And I took the Sellick supporting brother - by the end of it he was cursing the Sellick players as much as the rest of us. Think we may have a convert on our hands (he even asked how much a half-season ticket would cost!!)

Got an essay due at 5, but I just can't concentrate!! Fugg it - I'll hand it in tomorrow.

PS can someone do an avi/mp4 file of the game and make it available? I've got the 4-0 one and would like to add yesterday's to the collection.

PPS if anyone in Ireland has the misfortune of watching the Frontline on RTE tonight - keep an eye out for our away top in the audience, that'll be me!! :D

I've done all my chores and have nothing left to do until the family come in at 5-ish and I make tea so I'm gonna sit back and watch the game on't telly! lol.gif

I stuck it on after I got home last night - I even paused it when I got up to use the lavvy and to pour myself a wee malt to toast the victory because I didn't want to miss anythingthumbup2.gif

The commentator during the match said that Thompson and Teale are Saints fans. Well , big Stevie's alliegance is well documented but I didn't know about Gary . His radio interview would cetainly seem to confirm it. .

Just watching it through again at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qcg1j/Sportscene_St_Mirren_v_Celtic/

1hr 40mins as Teale & Thompson come forward, the commentator says both are St Mirren fans. Didn't realise that about Teale! punk.gif

In recent years i've thought there have been a few games against Celtic that Saints didn't really show much belief and committment. Well they certainly showed enough of it yesterday and took the game to them at every opportunity. They seemed up for it from the first whistle,forcing a couple of early corners that seemed to settle them down. Then getting,rather than conceding an early goal gave everybody even more belief.

It was a great performance throughout by everyone and was one of those games where i can't really pick any one player as man of the match as they were all outstanding. It just shows what can happen when they believe in their own abilities rather than in the hype of some of the Celtic players.

With this sort of belief,workrate,committment brave team selection as well as some very talented players hopefully this group of players can keep getting better.

This is absolutely fantastic, well worth a listen, it's amazing.

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/celtic32/radioscotland.mp3

i've lasted this long but had to give in when i listened to this, from the first to last minute sitting at hampden yesterday my heart was beating ten to the dozen, i laughed cheered and sang, now there seems to be a leak in my ceiling as my laptop is getting soaked

Fantastic day yesterday. Being firstly a Newcastle fan, where everything that could possibly go wrong, has gone wrong of late, yesterday was the 1st time since pre xmas i've enjoyed football. I must admit that i thought it was a case of just going through the motions of a Celtic win yesterday, but it was a Hampden semi and i felt i should travel up. Thank god i did. Fairytale stuff.

Had a pre match pint in the "Crystal Palace" in Glasgow and overheard a typically arrogant Cetic fan telling over the phone how he'd offered someone a semi ticket, it was refused and on those grounds he wouldn't be offering a ticket for the final. I don't think he'll be dealing with any final tickets now somehow. He had the same attitude as his team in that surely they just had to turn up.

Onto the game via one of the worst train journeys of my life, to Mount Florida surrounded by an odious bunch of Celtic fans singing "ooh ah, up the RA" and openly snorting coke in front of young kids. So pleased we won for that lot.

A shock early goal, but an eternity to go. An equaliser, and my consoling thoughts of at least we'll go down fighting. Then it seemed like waiting for the inevitable Celtic turnaround, certainly when they got the pen. Saved! We score ours but the clock looks like it's stopped. An unbelievable 3rd!! Still enough time left to blow it. Eventually time was blown. And relax. Bursting with pride at the David v Goliath outcome.

I mentioned in a previous thread about a long run of going without me seeing a Saints win. We beat Brechin. Felt like it didn't count due to lower league opponents. Went to Tannadice for a victory v real life SPL opponents, and now a semi final win at Hampden v conquerers of Barcelona. Oh how fortune in football can change.

My mate took his son to his first Scottish game yesterday. What a debut. Was easily my daughters best game of her short, saints following life and up there with the best i've witnessed.

Went back to "Clockwork" for a small Stella-bration post match. just caught the 7pm train to Edinburgh to connect with 8pm back to Newcastle. Unfortunately boarded a "Virgin train" instead of the"Eastcoast" one we'd booked. A costly error as it meant the 2 adults in our party paying an extra £73 each. Ouch! Know what though, after a day like that it was worth every penny and in the circumstances, even that couldn't spoil it.

Unfortunately i'll miss the final as it clashes with a toon game but COYS.

I honestly thought that my emotions would be in check today but alas no.

Casting my mind back to the last final and my dear Mother dying a few days before the game

Her funeral was due to take place the day after the final and my Brother was insistent that we go to the game.

We did go and took my Daughter and Nephew and I can honestly say that we just stared ahead for the whole game not really taking it in.

It felt like She was saying to me yesterday that this time I can enjoy the final, however we have now got to deal with my Wife being made redundant and cash being tight. That's my trip up now taking a back seat. Or so I thought.

I'm sitting reading all these posts and my wife whispers gently in my ear " you have to go, we'll be alright" and the emotion starts again.

I know that football isn't really that important but today it feels like it has allowed me to be in touch with my feelings and now I'm planning flights and time off with a sense of privilege and disbelief. Jesus I feel about 5!

Casting my mind back to the last final and my dear Mother dying a few days before the game

Her funeral was due to take place the day after the final and my Brother was insistent that we go to the game.

We did go and took my Daughter and Nephew and I can honestly say that we just stared ahead for the whole game not really taking it in.

It felt like She was saying to me yesterday that this time I can enjoy the final, however we have now got to deal with my Wife being made redundant and cash being tight. That's my trip up now taking a back seat. Or so I thought.

I'm sitting reading all these posts and my wife whispers gently in my ear " you have to go, we'll be alright" and the emotion starts again.

I know that football isn't really that important but today it feels like it has allowed me to be in touch with my feelings and now I'm planning flights and time off with a sense of privilege and disbelief. Jesus I feel about 5!

You're a St Mirren 5 thats the difference punk.gif

Great Post btw.

Massive credit to Danny, Tommy and the players, easily our best result for a generation. To win we had to have every one of our players motivated and playing to the maximum of their ability, that is a big ask, but we got it yesterday.

Danny took a huge gamble selection wise but it certainly paid off and he can be very proud of the part he played in the victory yesterday.

It's hard to single out individual players for praise, they were all fantastic. However, it's hard to ignore the presence and the performance of Thompson. He secured life long legendary status yesterday, we will be talking about him and his goal for generations. If it were up to me I'd give him the keys to the football club and the freedom of Paisley.

We can go into the final comfortable and confident in our status as under dogs. If we play anywhere near as well as we did yesterday I'm sure there will be silver wear coming back to Paisley.

Can't wait :)

Get yourself up here big man, i'll buy your ticket for you. x