St Mirren V Celtic League Cup Semi Final

shull

tbf Owen Coyle was very complimentary aboot us

btw the whole programme and match is on bbci red button, catch up - Sport, if anyway wants to watch again

a already did.

owen coyle is my grannies brothers grandson, he knows better, coyle also praised thommo quite a bit - because he was his manager, mind you the praise was all stuff we already knew

btw the whole programme and match is on bbci red button, catch up - Sport, if anyway wants to watch again

a already did.

Apart from being at the match , l also recorded it. I have watched it on the telly noo 3 times in it's entirety, some bits of it more than that. .sorcerer.gif

I got a lot of text messages during the match , some of which , I never heard arriving because my fellow Saint's Supporters were making a lot of noise. I just found one that was from a wee hunn that I work beside and it was sent after Hoopers goal , to say that , it was OFFSIDE. .

Just watched the highlights again and what about the big right winger Cheesy who put in a tremendous cross for thommo's volley, absolutely outstanding ! A goal made by two players both of whom are genuine fans living the dream.

Magical stuff smile.png

A player I've criticised on a number of occasions I have to say that was a brilliant piece of play from Marc, peeled off beautifully into space and sent in a lovely controlled cross for Thompson. Great play.

I've said many times - OF fans don't know how I felt in May '87. They celebrate cup wins, but they expect them, so they're not as special to them as that win was to me.

I felt almost as good on Sunday.

I want to feel that way again on March 17th.

Please, St Mirren, make it that way again on March 17th.

Gary teale is in just about the form of his life. He was involved in everything positive that we did on Saturday. Lays the ball off to Newton for the 1st, wins the corner and penalty for the 2nd, and slips the ball to cheesey for the 3rd. His work rate as well for a 34 yr old winger is immense, then to cap it all off he bursts into tears on the radio! Great guy!

Gary teale is in just about the form of his life. He was involved in everything positive that we did on Saturday. Lays the ball off to Newton for the 1st, wins the corner and penalty for the 2nd, and slips the ball to cheesey for the 3rd. His work rate as well for a 34 yr old winger is immense, then to cap it all off he bursts into tears on the radio! Great guy!

That's not so special.

I'm a wee bit older than Teale and I could have easily done that.

Well.... The last bit, at least.... :unsure:

Watched through the game a couple of times and with being able to see it a lot calmer than the other day some things really struck me. A lot has been said about Celtic playing badly but i just think they were shocked. Probably expecting to take the ball up to the penalty area every 2 minutes without real challenges. Well this time they were tackled throughout the pitch. The midfield snapped at their heels all game. Right from the first minute McGinn pinched the ball from them to set up an attack and then a few minutes later Newton shrugged off Wanyama as if he wasn't there. It was great to see and this continued throughout the game. I just imagine Celtic thinking 'this isn't supposed to happen'. It was great watching the goals again. Very well built up. The first one was a superb team goal involving a few players after Goodwin won the ball and the third was a great run into space and cross from McAusland for Thompson's brilliant volley. I think McAusland has definitely added something to his game since maybe the end of last season. Not just happy to defend now he seems to have the confidence to put in good passes and crosses and occasionally goes on some Broadfoot-like runs from defence.

As others have said Teale had a great game and was involved in some part in each of the goals. I actually think he's having a really good season and has been oneof Saints best throughout. In fact i couldn't believe i had heard Pat Nevin right at the start of the programme when he said something along the lines of Teale has to do a lot more than he has this season. I think he's trying to give the impression he knows about every team and player even if he's just seen them play once or twice.

Ditto for Steven Thompson.

It's fair to say these guys were landmark signings for us in summer 2011, but neither really impressed immediately.

However, their form this season in particular has been outstanding and it shows that they have so much still to give despite their advancing years.

I'm not sure if it's down to anything in particular, but both to me look fitter and stronger than before. It wasn't too long ago that neither could really keep up that kind of performance for 90 minutes, but now they're doing it regularly.

I would hand them both new contracts now, before any other clubs come sniffing around. Both could easily play in any SPL team. wink.png

Totally dominated the key areas in midfield , the reality is that over the 90 minutes Celtic only had three attempts on target.

One was an offside goal

One was a penalty that shouldn,t have been

And one was a consolation goal scored after the ninety minutes and injury time had run out.

Mon the Saints

It's fair to say these guys were landmark signings for us in summer 2011, but neither really impressed immediately.

However, their form this season in particular has been outstanding and it shows that they have so much still to give despite their advancing years.

I'm not sure if it's down to anything in particular, but both to me look fitter and stronger than before. It wasn't too long ago that neither could really keep up that kind of performance for 90 minutes, but now they're doing it regularly.

I would hand them both new contracts now, before any other clubs come sniffing around. Both could easily play in any SPL team. wink.png

I think Thommo has been great from day one

Best forward i have seen in the last 25 years following St Mirren

a already did.

Yes, fair point. I think he's quite an astute pundit. But he still couldn't help himself with comments like 'celtic were very poor, but take nothing away from st Mirren...' which obviously he just has by mentioning the losers first and running the argument that they're poor play was the main reason they lost. I think Celtic have played worse; they hit the bar, the post and had most of the possession. But we played better. Oh yes, no mistake about that. We were better.

Totally dominated the key areas in midfield , the reality is that over the 90 minutes Celtic only had three attempts on target.

One was an offside goal

And one was a consolation goal scored after the ninety minutes and injury time had run out.

Mon the Saints

Sorry Griff, but Hooper was quite clearly onside for their goal and I have no complaints about it after watching the highlights.

you do wonder when it takes guys of their calibre until season 2 for us to see the best of them why we only give guys 2 year contracts. And are we too hasty in judging players.......no need to answer that.

One was an offside goal

Mon the Saints

Did you miss the 2 shots which hit the bar and the two great saves by Samson?

I'm all for being positive about this but blinkered thinking is another thing.

Did you miss the 2 shots which hit the bar and the two great saves by Samson?

I'm all for being positive about this but blinkered thinking is another thing.

The 2 shots that hit the TOP of the bar? I think the Saints Fans sarcastic cheering showed how close they were to being goals.