St Mirren V Celtic League Cup Semi Final

shull

Apart from the penalty I don,t remember Samson having to make a save , he cut out or punched the odd cross ,but they weren,t shots on target , and with regards to Celtic hitting the woodwork , one was a shot rising which shaved the cross bar , and the other was a shite header the clipped the cross bar as it landed onthe top of the net , a statician would have classified both as off taarget attempts at goals.

And from the angle linesman had of the Celtic goal it was offside , what you saw was the BBC version ,which was selected for viewing by the BBC,s studio guests.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I was at the game with my two sons and Graham Carey's number one fan JJ. It was one of the best games I've ever witnessed as a buddie. When that 3 rd goal went in all four of us were going mental, even the two coppers behind us were smiling. The scenes at the final whistle will live long I'm my memory.

What a day that was, more enjoyable than the final itself, the team performance was a joy to watch, we played them off the park that day.

I remember the 2 coppers looking at us and smiling, what a day :)

Every Saints player was superb today. Tommo got mom but amongst many hero's, Teale and Goodwin were magic, but Cheesy and Carey were immense. No left back needed

Maybe slightly off topic but one of the things I noticed reading the thread was the number of people who singled McAusland out as having a great performance - makes it even more disappointing the way he was chosen as the chief scapegoat when it was more a case of an overall drop in standards at the club.

Remember we all went on train to match and I went to bookies outside Central whilst boys had a smoke tried to bet ISMA first goal(always bet strikers on debut) but seeing as he signed so late they didn't have him on list was a bit peeved so stuck money on half time Draw full time Saints instead.

I was raging when ISMA scored then also when Celtic equalised then took to Monday to realise that equaliser helped win me my bet with all the excitement forgot all about it.

Possibly the best Saint Mirren game I have ever seen .

The team were absolutely fantastic to a man and our more skilful players really turned it on , Teale, Thomo, Gowser, Isma. .

But moreover , we were fantastic too , the fans , around 4500 of us often out sang 20,000 of them and then seeing all the well kent faces at full time full of emotion , many jubilant some still in disbelief. .

. .another good thing that made me laugh at the time was the sheer futility of their second goal right at the final whistle, it was so meaningless that about half of them had already left the stadium .lol.gif

Big Stevie's goal will never be forgotten, not just for what it meant for us but what it clearly meant for him and then just the shear magnificence of the actual shot . .clap.gif