St Mirren V Celtic League Cup Semi Final

shull

Reflections on yesterday.................

It struck me that maybe short on numbers ( obviously ) compared to Celtic I thought the quality and level of vocal support offered to the team yesterday was frankly goosebumpgiving in its passion and honesty. Watching moments back on highlights and playback it was clear to all that St Mirren won the vocal contest at Hampden yesterday.

I think belief was transmitted cos I knew the longer the game went the more likely we were to win that, I think the fans felt that and the players certainly responded, a great supporting your team moment, growing in belief instead of standing watching it slide away.

Gary Teale's post match reaction, wow , I'm tearing up again !!!!

Awesome , thanks to everybuddie

notworthy.gif

Anyone else not stopped smiling today???

I've taken so much pleasure in hearing the "you were the first person I thought of yesterday" chat from everyone I met!

Also took far too much pleasure in writing 3+2 and 3-2 on the board for starting my maths lesson today!

Might also have watched the highlights over and over again!

Phew... I've had 24 hours and four viewings of the highlights to gather my thoughts...

Easily the best performance I've ever seen. Samson had little to do and was calm and composed when called upon. Did fantastic to put off Mulgrew, guess the right way and palm it away. Vanzy was on top of his game, McAusland was fantastic, Goodwin was immense, I'm often critical of him but he led by example for 90 minutes. Carey - his best performance since he returned to Saints, I'm sure many had reservations about having him at LB but he was great. Newton and McGinn bossed the midfield and dwarfed Wanyama and Brown - McGinn, in particular, played with a maturity well beyond his years, McLean might find he struggles to get back into the first XI. McGowan is looking back on form and his penalty was expertly taken. Teale - is time going backwards for this guy? He just didn't tire today. Goncalves looked like he's been playing for St. Mirren for years and I've really high hopes for him for the rest of the season. Finally, Thompson, where do I start? Thought he took a while to get into the game but Christ, he made Samaras look like a Sunday league player when he did, and that goal has to be up there with the best strikes of his career. Danny Lennon got everything spot on today. Tactics, formation, starting XI, substitutions - fantastic, and he deserves credit today. I can't pick a MOTM - they were all heroes.

For me, yesterday epitomised what St. Mirren are capable of, and we've set the standard now - this is what we should be aiming for. There were so many highlights yesterday: Goodwin's tackle, then Isma's goal, and Samson turning to the crowd in celebration; Hooper equalising and, rather than celebrating with the Celtic fans, turning to us with Brown to show off what an unlikeable dick he is and I thought "we'd better win this to get it up that cnut". The boys at half time, watching the Celtic fans nearest us gesticulate towards them and never being so glad I'm not one of them. Sammy's save - no theatrics, straight back to focusing on the job. Gowser's penalty and the celebrations on the touchline and soon after Thommohawk's volley and seeing him run towards us and straight into Lee Mair on the touchline the roar and look on my dad's face when we collectively realised that we were witnessing St. Mirren folklore in the making, and 20 torturous minutes, watching the seats to my left drain of Celtic fans, the crowd cheering when Danny's face appeared on the big screen. Mulgrew's goal an unfortunate footnote that makes the scoreline look like the game at all tight, but then the celebrations when we saw Collum blow for full time, the cheer as Thommo was named MOTM and watching Jim run back out when he found out he was gonna be in the final. Someone will need to surgically remove the grin from my face. A day I'll tell my grandchildren about.

Listening to Sportsound now, the fans singing "Teale will tear you apart" clear as a bell as Gary's being interviewed. Crowd were amazing. Watching the highlights, when Isma scored at the far end, you wouldn't think there were just 5000 of us. I'll be watching the game back tomorrow night trying to reign in emotion this time.

Now let's take that same belief and performance into 17th March. We can do this.

I f**king love this football club.

COME ON THE SAINTS.

Edited by RossTheBoss

Just want to mention weeian1877 post. That someone who I have never met is willing to help me with a ticket is overwhelming. An incredibly generous gesture. We should be ok but I just wanted to record my humble thanks for your very kind offer.

When I went into work this morning we had our regular Monday meeting to prepare for the week ahead. In walks the CEO and walks the length of the room to shake my hand and offer his congratulations and for a brief moment I felt as if I had scored the winner myself!

The CEO is a diehard Bristol City fan so he knows about the pain of following a smaller team.

A wee footnote on the game itself; it's the first time that Danny hasn't talked Celtic up before we have set foot on the pitch, instead he stressed that we were there to do a job and do a job we did. I think he is really starting to learn. I also loved the preparation the new lad put in, requesting DVDs of Matthews recent games, now that's professional!

Reading every single post in this thread epitomises why we all support St Mirren. That last line said it all: "I f**king love this football club."

Personally speaking, if we win that cup in March, it will make 20-odd years of following Saints through thick and thin, and shite and more shite, worth every single minute.

Reading every single post in this thread epitomises why we all support St Mirren. That last line said it all: "I f**king love this football club."

Personally speaking, if we win that cup in March, it will make 20-odd years of following Saints through thick and thin, and shite and more shite, worth every single minute.

Actually that was my second-last line, although I forgive you if you still can't see very well through tears of joy thumbup2.gif

its a shame it doesnt last long because it wont be long till words like "clueless" and "useless" will appear once again

people with short memories who forget how great it is to support this club

when the good comes along its fantastic

when the bad appears....try to curb your dagger like verbal attacks on management and players

we strive for results like this

(not aimed at anyone in particular)

Actually that was my second-last line, although I forgive you if you still can't see very well through tears of joy thumbup2.gif

Apologies. :P I'm just listening to the radio interviews. If this is us in the semi, what will we be like in the final?!

Fantastic to hear the pundits actually acknowledging the fact that we were so good though. It's not often that happens.

Isn't it amazing how one result can turn a season, and people's feelings for their team? I have to be honest - this season, I've been less than inspired. The SPL's been great this season for competition, but there was just a flat feel about St Mirren. Now, my love for my club and for this game has been rekindled again. I guess that's what football is all about.

Just want to mention weeian1877 post. That someone who I have never met is willing to help me with a ticket is overwhelming. An incredibly generous gesture. We should be ok but I just wanted to record my humble thanks for your very kind offer.

When I went into work this morning we had our regular Monday meeting to prepare for the week ahead. In walks the CEO and walks the length of the room to shake my hand and offer his congratulations and for a brief moment I felt as if I had scored the winner myself!

The CEO is a diehard Bristol City fan so he knows about the pain of following a smaller team.

A wee footnote on the game itself; it's the first time that Danny hasn't talked Celtic up before we have set foot on the pitch, instead he stressed that we were there to do a job and do a job we did. I think he is really starting to learn. I also loved the preparation the new lad put in, requesting DVDs of Matthews recent games, now that's professional!

Bud,don't waste your money on a hotel either,you can have a room at mine,just PM nearer time if you need to,stay 10 mins from the airport and will pick you up..................but will be too drunk to drop you back if we win ! ,

Zero credit to the BBC, (or ITV whoever it was that broadcast the match live), with their one-sided choice of smelltic-minded pundits obviously planning for a gloat fest at the final whistle. thumbdown.gif Should have had an ex-Saint on.

On the plus side. It was really great to see their faces after the victory.lol.giflol.gif

I`ve watched the highlights at least a dozen times now & each time it just gets better !thumbup2.gif

I didnt really appreciate the build up play for the first goal, from Goodwins tackle to Isma final touch.... pure class !clap2.gif clap2.gif:happyclapper

It was a superb build up. Wee Gowser also makes a great run in the box to create a massive gap for the ball to be played in for Isma to score. 1 - 0 GIRUY !

Zero credit to the BBC, (or ITV whoever it was that broadcast the match live), with their one-sided choice of smelltic-minded pundits obviously planning for a gloat fest at the final whistle. thumbdown.gif Should have had an ex-Saint on.

tbf Owen Coyle was very complimentary aboot us

btw the whole programme and match is on bbci red button, catch up - Sport, if anyway wants to watch again

a already did.

Edited by Mick

If anyone deletes this game from my sky they are getting thrown out the house!
FYI

You could use the keep facility to ensure it isn't deleted accidently.If you go to the recorded list and on the correct one pressing the blue button on the sky controller should lock the program from deletion.

Its what I did before the wife decided she needed space for call the midwife or some other guff.

Edited by ADMITCHELL

To car-d bud, blimey this is mental, thank you so very much. What a support we have that people who I haven't ever spoken to let alone met are sincerely offering their help. I cant tell you how humbling that is.

Nearer the time I would like to speak to you guys to thank you properly.

I have been thinking today about the years that I went home and away with guys like Norrie Jamieson, Kenny McLean, Keith Richardson, Stevie Warden. We all lived in Glasgow at the time and loved the fact that we were amongst the good guys and going to matches for the right reasons.

It had that feeling about it on Sunday as we were clearly displaying class in the way we conducted ourselves on and off the pitch. A true football club. That's why I love us so much!

No probs mate and btw the offer stands. Im more than happy to arrange a ticket for you and your good lady if you want. We are all St Mirren. x