League Cup Final Saints V Hearts 17/3/13

davidg

On the train back to Newcastle now. No voice left, I might need a few days for today to sink in. At the final whistle I just sank to my haunches and had a little cry.

Can't look at the match forensically at this stage, but Newton, Gowser, Thommo, Teale and McGinn were all immense.

I'm drained. I f**king love St Mirren. I f**king love you all.

I never heard it myself, but copied this from post on TSFM...

nowoldandgrumpy says:

Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 20:28

27 1 Rate This

Radio Scotland interview after the match, Danny Lennon says to Chick Young

Im just happy for you Chick that one of your teams has won a major trophy

:)

Edited by bluto

Fantastic day today and what a difference from the last final at Hampden - not just the win versus disappointment, but in the atmosphere - there were not 40 police lined up segregating the fans in the car park on the way in, Saints & Hearts fans walked freely amongst each other on the way in and out, and there were even a few we passed after the game who stopped to say congratulations. What a difference when there are no ugly sisters involved.

The whole day has felt like such a blur - was only 9 months old in 87, and THAT game still sends shivers down my spine.

Thought we looked scared for the first half-hour, and we should've been out of sight. But if your auntie had baws.....

Wee John McGinn was wonderful, Conor Newton had his best game for us, Gowser was back to the Gowser of last season, but no-one let us down. So proud to be a Buddie, and can't wait to rub it in folk's faces tomorrow at work!

Just back, cannot believe we actually won that, hasn't really sunk on yet. The players looked too nervous at the start but once we settled down we were fabulous, couldnt have asked for anymore from each and every one of them. Thought I would never see us win major trophy and can't believe it has actually happened, just brilliant.

Magnificent, wonderful, did it the hard way. Were nervous, rabbits caught in headlights, went 1-0 down, then every last one of them raised their game, calmed down, played good football and scored three magnificent goals. Credit to Hearts, their team played with big hearts (no pun intended) and they were a credit to their club.

We were better. We had even bigger hearts. Absolutely goddam magnificent.

Pwoud, vewy pwoud.

A bit fortunate the game wasn't over in the first half hour, but 3 brilliant goals and some stout defending saw us through.

Incredible to see history being made. Were discussing at half time how Isma's goal was the first goal we'd scored in normal time in a cup final since 1959. 64 years!

I knew that when we had Thompson, McGowan and Teale contracted for 2 seasons that we'd have a chance of winning a national trophy. It was an absolute master-stroke from Lennon to find Goncalves and Newton to complement who we already had.

Thanks to Danny and the boys. A really memorable day for so many people and families who have been brought together by that club.

What an unforgettable day. Well Done everyone; Players, Manager, Fans, Tea Lady, Open-Top Bus Driver...feck it, let's thank everyone. This is why we support this great Club. Days like this. Where are the doubters now? This is OFFICIALLY the Best Saints Team in 26 years AND the Best Manager in 26 years, regardless of what anybody says. So proud, happy, buzzing, excited, etc. Nearly burst into tears at all the goals but especially Newton's.

Brilliant to stand with my son,daughter and 2 nephews. Daily they need to listen to friends who follow the bigot brothers decry them about following St Mirren, a so called diddy team.

Stand proud in school this week,hold your heads high, your time has come ............St Mirren are back.

We BELIEVED.

s it worth being negative about game, even though there were flaws no just say 3 great goals great team performance great time with 3 generations of family and top it off we win cup

Hoping sign of things to come, a final every 3 years

Also great to see supporters lifting cup

WE MAY NOT WIN ALOT BUT WHEN WE DO WE WIN TOGETHER

Words fail me but here goes, to have witnessed such a momentous cup final win with my 2 sons is something to treasure for life. The scenes when the open top bus parade went through the town were quite incredible. The game itself was won with 3 beautiful strikes that will live long in the memory banks.

Connor Newton scores his first goal for the club and it wins us the cup for the first time in our proud history, magnificent effort from Connor and a magnificent day to remember from all the players and staff, you done us proud and we the fans are proud to be buddies.cloud9.gif