League Cup Final Saints V Hearts 17/3/13

davidg

I haven't been on here since the final and it's great to read all the comments about the victory. Since the game i have read a lot of papers about it and watched the game again

and everybody seems really complimentary about Saints and the game as a whole. A few describing it as a classic. At the time i didn't realise how good the game was as you get caught up in it.

I woke up on Sunday and i felt really calm about the game. Normally even for mid table league games i have some nerves but strangely not this time. The first half hour or so Saints couldn't seem to do much right and Hearts were one up and pushing hard for more. But i think because i had really bought into the whole 'believe' thing i thought there must be more to Saints today than this. I looked at the players and i believed in their quality and their character to get back into the game. In fact the game that i was reminded of was rhe crucial relegation game against Motherwell 6 years ago when they came back from 2-0 and playing very poorly to win 3-2. So there remained hope. But it was still a major surprise when the equaliser came. Joy and relief at the same time. It was only when watching the game again that i seen what a great goal from Goncalvez it was with Saints building up with a few passes which wasn't in keeping with how they'd played up until then. The final passes were all so quick and clinical. Football at its best. As we all know now Saints took real advantage and scored in the 1st minute of the 2nd half through Thompson and then got the 3rd through Newton. It was similar to the semi final now,being 3-1 up with just over 20 minutes to go. It looked comfortable for a while until Hearts scored then it was a real test of character as Hearts through everything at Saints for the final few minutes. How would Saints have coped had they equalised with the goal threat of Thompson and Goncalvez now off the pitch? Thankfully we never needed to find out as the whistle went. It's one of the great moments in St Mirrens history. Their 1st League cup and only their 4th national trophy. Hopefully most of this Saints squad can stay together and challenge for more honours but in the meantime it's just good to have won the trophy. To have played a part in such a good game and to have scored 3 of the best goals you might see this season.

Few points on the game from me, being as objective as I can:

1) the game turned not with the first goal, but with a punt up to Isma around the 26th minute. He controlled and turned, and though his shot was tame, it was the first glimpse of what we could do. The mood changed immediately.

2) I'm normally a big advocate of the 4-2-3-1 formation we started with, but it was hopeless on Saturday. The switch to something resembling a 4-4-2 with Isma more central and Gowser deeper was a sound move and showed Danny does have tactical nouse.

3) from that deeper position, Gowser ran the show. What a performance. Composed.

4) my one point of criticism would be that we started running the ball into the corner while it was still 3-1. Hearts sensed panic/blood. We'd have been as well going for a fourth.

5) we missed Thommo when he went off.

6) Newton must have covered 15 miles over the game. Amazing commitment from a loan player, and what a strike.

Edited by Magic Monkey

Agree with most points on here.(icon12.gif the love in continues)

1. Hearts had been in a final 6 months ago and this helped them to settle quicker.

2. Hearts had plenty Huff and Puff, Smash and Bashbut not much real quality (Toull excepted).

3. Ref let Hearts off with a lot. and could have sent a couple of their players off. Yes it would have been harsh but it allowed hearts to continue to niggle away and stop St Mirren Playing

4. Don't think the other hearts chances were as clear cut as the press made out.

Few points on the game from me, being as objective as I can:

1) the game turned not with the first goal, but with a punt up to Isma around the 26th minute. He controlled and turned, and though his shot was tame, it was the first glimpse of what we could do. The mood changed immediately.

2) I'm normally a big advocate of the 4-2-3-1 formation we started with, but it was hopeless on Saturday. The switch to something resembling a 4-4-2 with Isma more central and Gowser deeper was a sound move and showed Danny does have tactical nouse.

3) from that deeper position, Gowser ran the show. What a performance. Composed.

4) my one point of criticism would be that we started running the ball into the corner while it was still 3-1. Hearts sensed panic/blood. We'd have been as well going for a fourth.

5) we missed Thommo when he went off.

6) Newton must have covered 15 miles over the game. Amazing commitment from a loan player, and what a strike.

I agree with most of these. I couldn't believe we were killing time that way so early in a final. With less than 5 minutes to go then fine but with 10-15mins I was worried.

Thommo going off was a real change in momentum. If we went into extra time.... I'm not sure Parkin can cut it to be honest.

Newton was fantastic, always available, didn't hide and that goal was very Andy Dorman IMV.

Edited by flyingscot

What a day oot!!! Started off with some good crack with Hearts fans on the train from Airdrie (I knew they would be there) Met up with friends and family in Central, breakfast n beer in the Counting House, taxi to Beechings at Cathcart station, mair beer, the game, shouted and sang for 90 minutes plus the rest, walked to Queen's Park station, squeezed onto a train, Central to Paisley, the Argyll Bar, County Square, still singing, Carfuffal's, All Shook Up on the karaoke, The Wee Howff, La Mesa, chips fae Andy's, he'd nae fish left cos the Polis were being tight-arses on closing times, walked three miles tae ma mum's in Foxbar in the pishing rain, soaked, sober by the time I got there (how can you drink £40 worth of beer and be sober at the end of the night) had a cuppa, woke up Monday, nae hangover, but nae voice. This is two days later and I'm still hoarse. I'm 54 noo, and I didnae party that hard in '87. I must be getting stronger. (Iknow, it's an old joke)

Made the trip from Canada with two of my boys (photos in the PDE). I was also home for the 87 final but for some reason the buzz around this final was may more than the 87. The team was great, the crowd was great and it was great to expose my boys to the team they call the buddies and to understand why we love them so much.

Win the cup, back to Paisley for the parade, couple of pints and a curry to finish off the night and then it was back on the plane to Toronto first thing Monday morning.

Priceless.

just watched the whole game again

im pissing myself laughing here....all we did was score 3 goals and apart from great defending towards the end we pretty much didnt do anything else

their goal keeper had only 3 things to do....pick the ball out of the net

Brilliant !!!!

just watched the whole game again

im pissing myself laughing here....all we did was score 3 goals and apart from great defending towards the end we pretty much didnt do anything else

their goal keeper had only 3 things to do....pick the ball out of the net

Brilliant !!!!

What we did do was score 1 more than hearts, that's all that will ever matter. I'm still buzzing and don't want to work tomorrow.

What we did do was score 1 more than hearts, that's all that will ever matter. I'm still buzzing and don't want to work tomorrow.

As wee Anxious , often said , goals change games and the first goal from Isma certainly did that . Before that goal , when it looked a bit dismal for us , I just kept reminding myself and my friends that we have the best team of Saints players , we have seen in years whilst, the jambosis were fielding one of their worst teams in years. .

Everything comes , to he who waits. .wink.png

Made the trip from Canada with two of my boys (photos in the PDE). I was also home for the 87 final but for some reason the buzz around this final was may more than the 87. The team was great, the crowd was great and it was great to expose my boys to the team they call the buddies and to understand why we love them so much.

Win the cup, back to Paisley for the parade, couple of pints and a curry to finish off the night and then it was back on the plane to Toronto first thing Monday morning.

Priceless.

Disco Dave - I was with you in 87, and it was great to see you again this time. I know Toronto's a long way away, but for a man called Disco Dave, you went to bed hell of an early. I, on the other hand, know my limits, and then I accelerate way past them - until 2.30 in Vienna's on this occasion. And so ended one of the greatest days of all time.

The party continues in South London (well this part anyway), and will continue for weeks/months to come.

See you next time Bud. Cheers.