Smfc-On This Day.....

HSS

Just to show how bad things used to be.........

1973....Div 2......East Stirling 2 SMFC 1.

Really unbelievable we would lose to the 'Shire with the team we had out that day. Simon Donnelly's faither scored the winner for them !

Really big victory for us this day in '75 , Fergie's first season. We had to finish no worse than 6th in the league to make sure we qualified for the 1st division after re-construction. We scraped 6th place,mainly thanks to the 2-1 victory at Starks Park , with two goals in the last 5 minutes from Brian Third and Rab Laurie !happy.png

ETA. I went to the ABC with Laura Palombo that night to see Slade in Flame !cloud9.gif

Edited by billyg

Really unbelievable we would lose to the 'Shire with the team we had out that day. Simon Donnelly's faither scored the winner for them !

We were quite adept at losing to the Shire away.

I was at the match, a year later when they beat us 3-1.

It was Bryceland's first as Player Manager and he scored.

Edited by shull

We were quite adept at losing to the Shire away.

I was at the match, a year later when they beat us 3-1.

It was Bryceland's first as Player Manager and he scored.

Was Bryceland not Manager before that? 1972 I think.

I also remember a 5-0 hammering from them.

Was Bryceland not Manager before that? 1972 I think.

I also remember a 5-0 hammering from them.

I'm probably getting mixed up due to it being a lifetime ago.

I was a Ballboy in the 72/73 Season and i think you're correct that Bryceland was the Manager then.

I mind a 5-0 defeat tae, was that the Scottish Cup before the proper Rounds ?

eta. The Scottish Cup Round 2 game was lost 2-1.

I cannae find the 5-0 defeat although i'm sure it happened.

Edited by shull

8th January 1972 ( sorry, wrong timeline for thread )

East Stirling 3 St Mirren 1

Crowd - 1500

Bryceland scored for us and a certain Mr Scanlon scored the 3rd for The Shire.

It was Bryceland's first game back but he wasn't yet manager. This defeat was in fact Wilson Humphries last game in charge , TB took over shortly after.

Was she none too keen on QC, or did you just no give her anything? And by the way, did her family make ice cream?

Her family were from BOW and made Ice Cream , as I remember , they lived in a big house near the Golf Course and her mother wouldn't leave us alone in the room for five minutes !thumbdown.gif

It was Bryceland's first game back but he wasn't yet manager. This defeat was in fact Wilson Humphries last game in charge , TB took over shortly after.

It's all coming back to me, but very very slowly.

Thanks Billy !

33 years ago mellow.png

frightening

I remember that the Bristol City folk were great, inviting us in to the supporters club before and after the game, though after the game might not have been such a good idea with not having a toilet on the bus. Maybe my memory is playing tricks but i'm sure we had to pee into a funnel at the front of the bus. Don't suppose anybody else remembers this?

Great days.

I remember that the Bristol City folk were great, inviting us in to the supporters club before and after the game, though after the game might not have been such a good idea with not having a toilet on the bus. Maybe my memory is playing tricks but i'm sure we had to pee into a funnel at the front of the bus. Don't suppose anybody else remembers this?

Great days.

I mind one away match in the 70's when a large plastic container was used for urinating in while we aw travelled on the Supporters Bus.

It didnae take long for said vessel tae be full.

One bright Buddie had the excellent idea of pouring it out the skylight windae of the Bus.

Needs must, the clatty baisturts, what a mess was made.

Edited by shull