Smfc-On This Day.....

HSS

April 5 1980 , St Mirren 2 Hibs 0 , front three for Hibs were ex Saints Ally McLeod and Robert Torrance , and George Best !

Are you sure Billy?I thought Best only played once for Hibs at LS,scoring in a game that finished 2-1 for the Buds.

Are you sure Billy?I thought Best only played once for Hibs at LS,scoring in a game that finished 2-1 for the Buds.

I remember seeing Georgie at Love Street in a Hibs kit. I also think I saw him play against us in the Anglo-Scottish, perhaps for Fulham ? Of course I may be talking p!sh cos my memory isn't what it once was. I also recollect one of these games being played on a totally rain-soaked pitch with the ball skiting about then sticking in puddles and the game produced a barrel load of goals (4-3 or thereabouts). Then again, maybe I'm just doolally.

I remember seeing Georgie at Love Street in a Hibs kit. I also think I saw him play against us in the Anglo-Scottish, perhaps for Fulham ? Of course I may be talking p!sh cos my memory isn't what it once was. I also recollect one of these games being played on a totally rain-soaked pitch with the ball skiting about then sticking in puddles and the game produced a barrel load of goals (4-3 or thereabouts). Then again, maybe I'm just doolally.

Best scored for Fulham in a 5-3 win for Saints at LS.

He played twice for Hibs at LS that season , the 2nd was a lower key affair than the first , only about 10k in attendance !

I was saying in another thread that I had the winner at The National yesterday. The last time I got the winner was Red Rum's third win and I was at Love Street that day. In those days the race was always a 3-20 start and I was actually having a pee at half time when I heard Rummy had one. I made the mistake of letting go and jumping up. Oops! £2 at 7/2 if I remember rightly. Quite big dosh back then. But I can't remember who we were playing that day. Thought it might come up here. Anybody remember?

I was saying in another thread that I had the winner at The National yesterday. The last time I got the winner was Red Rum's third win and I was at Love Street that day. In those days the race was always a 3-20 start and I was actually having a pee at half time when I heard Rummy had one. I made the mistake of letting go and jumping up. Oops! £2 at 7/2 if I remember rightly. Quite big dosh back then. But I can't remember who we were playing that day. Thought it might come up here. Anybody remember?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/2/newsid_2466000/2466403.stm

Same day - St Mirren 2 Raith Rovers 0

Marching on towards the First Division Title thumbup2.gif

Edited by shull

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/2/newsid_2466000/2466403.stm

Same day - St Mirren 2 Raith Rovers 0

Marching on towards the First Division Title thumbup2.gif

Thanks for that, Shull. Every year for a while now when the National comes round I've remembered that day and tried to find out who we played. I should just have asked you.

Thanks for that, Shull. Every year for a while now when the National comes round I've remembered that day and tried to find out who we played. I should just have asked you.

Google is our friend.