Plan To 'de-Pedestrianise' Paisley

billyg

I'm being more than fair. Read the report, it is very, very thin on substance. That report should not be the basis on which to make such a decision. Take another example, "Existing traffic calming combined with street scape will deter vehicles from travelling above a very low speed". Firstly, what do they define as "a very low speed"? 5mph or 25pmh or 30mph? Then consider the "existing taffic calming" which consists of no speed bumps on the High Street and one speed bump on Gilmour Street. Not exactly much in order to prevent cars from travelling "above a very low speed", wouldn't you agree?. Has a full risk assessment been carried out? The lack of dropped kerbs and little deliniation is rather concerning without a major upgrading of the streetscape. That document makes no mention of any major works.

There is no need to do major works to the road as it's almost in a perfect condition for a shared space scheme which is traffic calming. I can't see what works you think are needed beyond sorting the tie-ins.

Shared space could work excellently IMV would see vehicles traffic at low speeds. It's been done on much busier areas and I think would be an excellent addition to Paisley. Putting in dropped kerbs, humps and major delineation is out a 1970s traffic engineering book. Would not meet the sense of place and streetscape this is trying to achieve.

Will Gilmour St be open to traffic too?

Yes one way Southbound from County Square to St Mirren Brae (not through to Back Sneddon). Moss Street would be one way northbound between the High Street and School Wynd/Station car park which would be a vast improvement.

Regarding the airport link, the old branch line up to Renfrew is all pretty much still vacant land and although this would mean that

1 trains wont stop at Gilmour street and 2 they would need to build a new rail bridge over the cart, I've always thought this a more sensible route then looping round the St James interchange.

Feck me they could even build a light rail that terminates at gilmour street.

Yeah it is broken up at Westway however and through Renfrew and at Braehead. Could work well as a light rail scheme but the idiots in Edinburgh that spent way too much have ruined that for everyone. The word tram is a bad word now! Edinburgh's scheme is IMV vastly over engineered- the depth of excavations is unbelievable.

It may be used as a part of Fastlink bus scheme (was a tram until see above!)

For many years there's been a gravy train going down to london. Inspite of all the shite spoken about the SE being some private enterprise mecca driving the rest or the UK economy there are more public sector employees there than in the rest of the UK put together. And until recently they would be getting London weighting. Building the parliment in Edinburgh has unhitched a few of these carridges and sent them north. But they have not got out of the Edinburgh sidings.

I agree.

It's ALWAYS someone else's fault. :)

There is no need to do major works to the road as it's almost in a perfect condition for a shared space scheme which is traffic calming. I can't see what works you think are needed beyond sorting the tie-ins.

Shared space could work excellently IMV would see vehicles traffic at low speeds. It's been done on much busier areas and I think would be an excellent addition to Paisley. Putting in dropped kerbs, humps and major delineation is out a 1970s traffic engineering book. Would not meet the sense of place and streetscape this is trying to achieve.

Yes one way Southbound from County Square to St Mirren Brae (not through to Back Sneddon). Moss Street would be one way northbound between the High Street and School Wynd/Station car park which would be a vast improvement.

Yeah it is broken up at Westway however and through Renfrew and at Braehead. Could work well as a light rail scheme but the idiots in Edinburgh that spent way too much have ruined that for everyone. The word tram is a bad word now! Edinburgh's scheme is IMV vastly over engineered- the depth of excavations is unbelievable.

It may be used as a part of Fastlink bus scheme (was a tram until see above!)

I was thinking come of from the Walneuk junction and following the old line upto the white cart viaduct then crossing over and probably stopping where the AVIS car hire is or over in the car park. As I said the tract is not built on (it is up towards Babcock). Its much shorter and even the route through the air port takes less developed land. you might have to do something with the wallneuk junction .

I was thinking come of from the Walneuk junction and following the old line upto the white cart viaduct then crossing over and probably stopping where the AVIS car hire is or over in the car park. As I said the tract is not built on (it is up towards Babcock). Its much shorter and even the route through the air port takes less developed land. you might have to do something with the wallneuk junction .

That's great if you only plan to serve people coming from Glasgow Central and intermediate stations. The idea of where it was, was so that you could interline passengers at PGS coming from the Ayr and Inverclyde lines as well.

That's great if you only plan to serve people coming from Glasgow Central and intermediate stations. The idea of where it was, was so that you could interline passengers at PGS coming from the Ayr and Inverclyde lines as well.

You could build Paisley international for passengers to change at Walneuk, or put a link in for trains coming up the line to go north at walneuk

Edited by insaintee

• 3 months later...