Televisions

TediousTom

Dear fellow forum users

Once again I have come to you people for some trusted advice.

Today I have decided to make a new purchase and the purchase of choice is one of them flat screen television sets.

Can any of you kind people please explain to me the difference between an LCD and an LED television set and more importantly, what one do I actually want?

Thank you in advance

LED is better and you can get a good 3-D image with it, however , it depends how much you want to spend as LED is more expensive and if you are not going to recieve HD or 3-D images , for that matter , then I'd just go and get an LCD as Tesco are selling a 52" for circa £400 . .

Now , I'm not saying buy it in Tesco(that was quoted as an example) just as I wouldn't say buy yer groceries in Curries but you know what I'm implying. Don't you. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

LED is better and you can get a good 3-D image with it, however , it depends how much you want to spend as LED is more expensive and if you are not going to recieve HD or 3-D images , for that matter , then I'd just go and get an LCD as Tesco are selling a 52" for circa £400 . .

Now , I'm not saying buy it in Tesco(that was quoted as an example) just as I would say buy yer groceries in Curries but you know what I'm implying. Don't you. .

Thank you, that is indeed helpful. I couldnt give a Morton fans soap dish for 3D televsion but I do have HD with my Sky, although I currently dont have an HD ready television (hence of the reasons I have decided to make this large purchase). With that in mind do you still recommend LED as it would be better to watch that HD on?

Thank you, that is indeed helpful. I couldnt give a Morton fans soap dish for 3D televsion but I do have HD with my Sky, although I currently dont have an HD ready television (hence of the reasons I have decided to make this large purchase). With that in mind do you still recommend LED as it would be better to watch that HD on?

Okay , a bit subjective now. .

HD ready means a resolution of 750 , full HD (which is what you want) is 1080p . LED v's LCD , I would say , LED is better but I would recommend you go along to your local convience, retailer, of big f**k off telly's , and have a look to see if you see a difference in the technology.

If you are watching standard definition at the moment , on a good quality HD telly with HD channels , you will see a hell of a lot better picture , up 5x better. The fitba and movies look the best in HD and I would recommend a 5.1 surround sound system as all Sky Movies and most of the fitba comes in 5.1 surround. .

Okay , a bit subjective now. .

HD ready means a resolution of 750 , full HD (which is what you want) is 1080p . LED v's LCD , I would say , LED is better but I would recommend you go along to your local convience, retailer, of big f**k off telly's , and have a look to see if you see a difference in the technology.

If you are watching standard definition at the moment , on a good quality HD telly with HD channels , you will see a hell of a lot better picture , up 5x better. The fitba and movies look the best in HD and I would recommend a 5.1 surround sound system as all Sky Movies and most of the fitba comes in 5.1 surround. .

Thank you indeed. I can honestly say that I did not know anything of that prior to your reply.

I shall take a donner into my local Tandy or Comet and view the various television sets on offer. I will of course demand a resolotion of 1080 in LED format for a good price, a good price indeed.

If those shops are not where I recall them then I will make toward Arnotts, they used to have a good wireless and colour television section.

Thanks again, I will keep you posted with my choice of viewing box as someone somewhere may be interested.

Thank you indeed. I can honestly say that I did not know anything of that prior to your reply.

I shall take a donner into my local Tandy or Comet and view the various television sets on offer. I will of course demand a resolotion of 1080 in LED format for a good price, a good price indeed.

If those shops are not where I recall them then I will make toward Arnotts, they used to have a good wireless and colour television section.

Thanks again, I will keep you posted with my choice of viewing box as someone somewhere may be interested.

don't get an edge lit led telly, make sure it's back lit

Tom - Richer Sounds in Jamaica Street, Glasgow.

I've bought loads of TV's in my time and these guys are amongst the best, particularly if you are looking for some expert advice. I'd only venture into Curry's if I had done my homework fully, knew exactly what kind of TV I wanted and I was looking to compare prices. Curry's staff are f**king useless and clueless and since they've been hiring Comet rejects I wouldn't fancy your chances of decent customer service in there either.

....and if you've got decent money to spend and would like the black colour to look like real black instead of a sort or really, really dark grey, then skip the LCD & the LED and buy a plasma (although the top of the range LEDs are much better than they used to be and can almost match the black of a plasma). An LED Tv will produce a brighter, sharper picture, but make sure you purchase one with a high scanning rate (100/200Hz) as they suffer from motion blur, which you also don't get happening on a plasma. Plasma TVs also have better viewing angles than LEDs. The Plasma's will look much duller in a showroom, but remember you wont be watching it at home surrounded by strip lights.

LCD/LEDs are available in a wider range of sizes as Plasma is not really available under 42"

Dear fellow forum users

Once again I have come to you people for some trusted advice.

Today I have decided to make a new purchase and the purchase of choice is one of them flat screen television sets.

Can any of you kind people please explain to me the difference between an LCD and an LED television set and more importantly, what one do I actually want?

Thank you in advance

you want to get yersel a 24" black n white twiddley tuner like mine,,then have somebuddy buy you a prism so you can watch it in colour, mine has pride of place sitting in front of my living room window,and to date no one has tried to break in and steal it

Try James Bryce in Moss St.tongue.png

That rings a bell!

As an aside, former Saints` goalie from the 50`s, Len Crabtree, was a tv mechanic.

Adzil Holder the West Indian pro at Ferguslie Cricket Club used to point out that he was the only coloured TV mechanic in Scotland. Coloured telly was in its infancy then.

I'm increasingly finding that the best feature of my TV is the OFF button.

It is great to have a good TV when there is something worth watching, but I have no desire to tune into most of the pish that is trotted out, be it in HD on a LED, LCD, Smart TV etc...etc...

I find myself becoming more and more selective about what I watch. About 90% of what they show is mindless garbage, regardless of the resolution.

It is great to have a good TV when there is something worth watching, but I have no desire to tune into most of the pish that is trotted out, be it in HD on a LED, LCD, Smart TV etc...etc...

I find myself becoming more and more selective about what I watch. About 90% of what they show is mindless garbage, regardless of the resolution.

Grumpy cnut. Get out of Shull's 100% Hampden feelgood cab and get the bus home.

thumbup2.gif

Adzil Holder the West Indian pro at Ferguslie Cricket Club used to point out that he was the only coloured TV mechanic in Scotland. Coloured telly was in its infancy then.

A very nice man. He and his family were billeted in a tiny room and kitchen in Clarence Street, next door to my cousin.

Some life the professional cricketers had, eh?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again fellow forum user's for your helpful advice on this matter.

Guided by the content of this very thread I today (I got bored of tv's for a bit and then I got interested again) made my television purchase.

I am now the proud owner of a

40" Toshiba LED backlit television. It has the following add-ons HDMI (whatever that is), USB, PC input and Full HD (1920 x 1080).

The picture is rare and the QPR vs Wigan game that I watched a short time ago was thoroughly enjoyable with the sharper picture and the sound, the sound well it was also rare.

Now I looked at various retailers and quite frankly I was beginning to get bored as they all seem the same. Also the staff at Curry's and PC World seemed to me to be a bit slow in the department of mental capacity whenever I dealt with them. I doubt I shall ever purchase anything from these people. At this juncture I should mention that I was going to buy a Sony television from Curry's and PC World but the staff member's that were round me like flies round dung and kept trying to sell me bloody overpriced insurance and a service package thing called "know how" that I neither wanted or needed.

In the end I scoured the internet pages of local retailers, eventually settling on my purchase for £299.99, reduced from £449.99. The retailer who secured my business was Argos and I liked the "there you go sir" attitude without anyone hassling to me purchase anything further.

I shall retire from the internet for the next few minutes as I am off to stare at my big f**k off telly.

A very nice man. He and his family were billeted in a tiny room and kitchen in Clarence Street, next door to my cousin.

Some life the professional cricketers had, eh?

Just spotted this post, Bluto. He was a lovely big guy. He was really a slow/spin bowler but he had a vicious quick ball. Peter Waddell was a wicket keeper at the time and if he missed the signal that a fast ball was coming he was occasionally in deep shit. Any idea what happened to Adzil?

Guest TPAFKATS

1920x1080 is the required resolution for real HD viewing. More so if you intend toi watch blu-ray movies. Lot's of so called HD channels are showing you upscaled SD broadcasts, especially Sky,

Would this explain why I don't see much difference apart from it being a bit louder and a couple of seconds delay on some HD channels?

That's 3 of us then.

I stopped watching TV 6 years ago and counting.

What's great is that I still have a TV for watching DVD's and video cassettes but now I can also connect up my laptop to the TV and watch iPlayer stuff.

Failing that, there is a ton of complete programs on Youtube now.

That allows me to completely control what I watch and when as long as I don't have the desperately urgent need to watch things the very second they are broadcast live.

The best bit is that I can do all of this without having to buy a TV Licence.