Televisions

TediousTom

That's 3 of us then.

I stopped watching TV 6 years ago and counting.

What's great is that I still have a TV for watching DVD's and video cassettes but now I can also connect up my laptop to the TV and watch iPlayer stuff.

Failing that, there is a ton of complete programs on Youtube now.

That allows me to completely control what I watch and when as long as I don't have the desperately urgent need to watch things the very second they are broadcast live.

The best bit is that I can do all of this without having to buy a TV Licence.

That's 3 of us then.

I stopped watching TV 6 years ago and counting.

What's great is that I still have a TV for watching DVD's and video cassettes but now I can also connect up my laptop to the TV and watch iPlayer stuff.

Failing that, there is a ton of complete programs on Youtube now.

That allows me to completely control what I watch and when as long as I don't have the desperately urgent need to watch things the very second they are broadcast live.

The best bit is that I can do all of this without having to buy a TV Licence.

Count me in and that makes us a gang of four. Take sport out of it and the amount of telly I watch is negligible. Today I have seen zippo for example and tonight I'm going down the club to watch the Manchester Derby. There's nothing I'm aware of coming up that is drawing me in. Last thing I watched was Michael Portillo's choo choo programmes. Quite liked them. That and the odd other programme I watch on the iPlayer when I can get peace.

Tell the masses Your secret of avoiding the TV Tax Then ?

He just did - you don't need a TV licence to watch bbc iplayer unless you are watching live TV - if you're only watching catchup there's no need to purchase a licence (convincing the wee man at the door might be a different problem however).

He just did - you don't need a TV licence to watch bbc iplayer unless you are watching live TV - if you're only watching catchup there's no need to purchase a licence (convincing the wee man at the door might be a different problem however).

The wee man at the door is irrelevant.

He'd be treated like the wee man from Tesco, the wee man from British Gas and the wee man from Everest.

He simply wouldn't be invited in.

I got a threatening letter from them 6 years ago when I stopped paying it and I called them to explain why I didn't need a licence.

In fairness they apologised for the tone but said "we have a lot of people trying it on".

I replied "It's hardly my fault if people can steal your product simply by plugging a wire into the wall. If I receive one more threatening letter I'll return every subsequent letter unopened."

They left me alone except for one update letter asking me to confirm whether or not I was still exempt.

I think they send that out every two years or so.

I'm not happy having to write to explain to ANY company why I don't want to buy their shit but in this instance I was prepared to be a bit less "arsehole-ish" than usual as I reckoned 5 minutes filling in a 2 line form online was easier than having them attempt to prosecute.

All they need to do is simply scramble the signal and send people who pay a set-top box - just like Sky.

Edited by oaksoft

The wee man at the door is irrelevant.

He'd be treated like the wee man from Tesco, the wee man from British Gas and the wee man from Everest.

He simply wouldn't be invited in.

I got a threatening letter from them 6 years ago when I stopped paying it and I called them to explain why I didn't need a licence.

In fairness they apologised for the tone but said "we have a lot of people trying it on".

I replied "It's hardly my fault if people can steal your product simply by plugging a wire into the wall. If I receive one more threatening letter I'll return every subsequent letter unopened."

They left me alone except for one update letter asking me to confirm whether or not I was still exempt.

I think they send that out every two years or so.

I'm not happy having to write to explain to ANY company why I don't want to buy their shit but in this instance I was prepared to be a bit less "arsehole-ish" than usual as I reckoned 5 minutes filling in a 2 line form online was easier than having them attempt to prosecute.

All they need to do is simply scramble the signal and send people who pay a set-top box - just like Sky.

Your arrogance seldom fails to astound.

You watch BBC tv but have no belief or desire to pay for its production.

Truly a thatcher product.

Your arrogance seldom fails to astound.

You watch BBC tv but have no belief or desire to pay for its production.

Truly a thatcher product.

You want me to voluntarily pay for something which is free and that the BBC themselves say you don't need a licence for?

Why on earth would I possibly want to do that?

Thatcher product? That's a pretty lame insult. You've called me better names than that.

I'm surprised you have time for personal insults.

Shouldn't you be out deifying DSS?

He'll be hurt you know.

You want me to voluntarily pay for something which is free and that the BBC themselves say you don't need a licence for?

Thatcher product? That's a pretty lame insult. You've called me better names than that.

He'll be hurt you know.

You have told us in the past that your long suffering wife more or less agreed to a pre-nup that there would be no Christmas pressies, nor birthday or anniversary. I think you told us too that you relaxed that a bit for your kids when they were young but as they grew up they had to accept the no pressies thing too or lump it. But no telly either? You really do come across more and more as an absolutely soulless, miserable son of a bitch. I choose to watch very little television but never in a million years would I try to impose it on my wife and children. Your wife, to go along with your sterile inclinations, must be either a saint or a doormat. I have heard of couples who don't have enough in common to be even arsed arguing. Do you check with her now and again that she's perfectly happy going along with your weirdo ways all the time? Some leave once the kids go and no wonder.

whistling.gif

You have told us in the past that your long suffering wife more or less agreed to a pre-nup that there would be no Christmas pressies, nor birthday or anniversary. I think you told us too that you relaxed that a bit for your kids when they were young but as they grew up they had to accept the no pressies thing too or lump it. But no telly either? You really do come across more and more as an absolutely soulless, miserable son of a bitch. I choose to watch very little television but never in a million years would I try to impose it on my wife and children. Your wife, to go along with your sterile inclinations, must be either a saint or a doormat. I have heard of couples who don't have enough in common to be even arsed arguing. Do you check with her now and again that she's perfectly happy going along with your weirdo ways all the time? Some leave once the kids go and no wonder.

I'd ask her what she thought but she's busy making my dinner and I don't want her disturbed in case she burns it. cloud9.gif

Actually the TV was her idea.

The cards and presents were a joint suggestion becaue as fate would have it, I accidentally stumbled onto someone with exactly the same views and outlook on life as me. What's the chances of that eh? Crucially we sorted all the cards and pressie nonsense in the first 2 weeks. It wouldn't have been worth it if either of us had a problem with it.

Communication Rick. Try it. It's a wonderful thing and it's commonly poorly done which is why so many wives leave after the kids go.

The kids were a different matter.

I'll tell you this but you won't believe it - I don't really care if you don't TBH but it's interesting.

6 or 7 years ago (or whenever we stopped), we gave them a pile of presents.

Within an hour it was clear something was up as they were a bit quiet.

I asked them what the problem was and they said nothing but the 3 of them went upstairs "to play".

When they came down they'd clearly had a chat and the eldest said they felt bad at getting so much stuff because they felt guilty that they couldn't play with it all and they thought we'd be hurt about that.

For our part, we'd spent every penny we had on them, had stressed ourselves stupid over spending the same amount on each and struggled to find something they'd each like. In short we hated the hassle and felt bad about the expense.

...and then all of them come and tell you that to your face.

Now quite how I've managed to build a family where young kids talk in that manner is another thing altogether but that was the start of us blowing out Xmas pressies. We discussed it as a family and we agreed to cut it right back. That was the most weird thing I've ever been through. That's where we are now. It was essentially their own choice. They asked for it.

Edited by oaksoft

I'll tell you this but you won't believe it - I don't really care if you don't TBH but it's interesting.

I asked them what the problem was and they said nothing but the 3 of them went upstairs "to play".

When they came down they'd clearly had a chat and the eldest said they felt bad at getting so much stuff because they felt guilty that they couldn't play with it all and they thought we'd be hurt about that.

For our part, we'd spent every penny we had on them, had stressed ourselves stupid over spending the same amount on each and struggled to find something they'd each like. In short we hated the hassle and felt bad about the expense.

Now quite how I've managed to build a family where young kids talk in that manner is another thing altogether but that was the start of us blowing out Xmas pressies. We discussed it as a family and we agreed to cut it right back. That was the most weird thing I've ever been through. That's where we are now. It was essentially their own choice. They asked for it.

Quite amazing. smile.png

This is the kind of family model that shull's been striving for.

Edited by bluto

He'll be hurt you know.

I believe Bluto was limping a bit recently, but how did you know?

I'd ask her what she thought but she's busy making my dinner and I don't want her disturbed in case she burns it. cloud9.gif

Actually the TV was her idea.

The cards and presents were a joint suggestion becaue as fate would have it, I accidentally stumbled onto someone with exactly the same views and outlook on life as me. What's the chances of that eh? Crucially we sorted all the cards and pressie nonsense in the first 2 weeks. It wouldn't have been worth it if either of us had a problem with it.

Communication Rick. Try it. It's a wonderful thing and it's commonly poorly done which is why so many wives leave after the kids go.

The last line says it all. 'They asked for it'. You obviously spoil them rotten if you give them everything they ask for. It takes two to tango and good luck to you if you're genuinely both happy. Who am I to judge? I take your word for it that life Chez Oaksoft is a bundle of fun. I take it the kids aren't allowed to shout at football matches?

I like TV, does this make me bad? whistling.gif

Some folk seem to think you're bad but I don't think watching TV makes you any worse. That is, if you're bad in the first place. Which I haven't said, by the way. At least, not publicly. You might even be good. Or possibly something in between. Let me think about it.

The last line says it all. 'They asked for it'. You obviously spoil them rotten if you give them everything they ask for. It takes two to tango and good luck to you if you're genuinely both happy. Who am I to judge? I take your word for it that life Chez Oaksoft is a bundle of fun. I take it the kids aren't allowed to shout at football matches?

Joking apart, yes it's a genuinely happy bunch for the most part although there are moments just like any other family.

We're not the Waltons.

As for shouting at games, they wouldn't dream of yelling abuse at anyone so I don't have to tell them it's not allowed.

Even at their ages they understand the difference between passion and behaving like a thug.

They love watching games and understand sometimes we play crap and lose and within seconds of leaving the ground the game is forgotten.

They can't understand why anyone would do that.

My eldest daughter hates going to games for that reason and so she missed the Cup final which is a shame.

Edited by oaksoft

Joking apart, yes it's a genuinely happy bunch for the most part although there are moments just like any other family.

We're not the Waltons.

As for shouting at games, they wouldn't dream of yelling abuse at anyone so I don't have to tell them it's not allowed.

Even at their ages they understand the difference between passion and behaving like a thug.

They love watching games and understand sometimes we play crap and lose and within seconds of leaving the ground the game is forgotten.

They can't understand why anyone would do that.

My eldest daughter hates going to games for that reason and so she missed the Cup final which is a shame.

Oakey for father of the year. thumbup2.gif