Laptop Screen

faraway saint

Using the laptop last night and the screen went blank out of the blue.

Tried the old "power off/on" routine, which always works but didnae this time!!!

Hit every button possible, not really a good idea, before hooking the laptop up to the TV, hey presto, laptops working just not the screen.

Had a message saying AMD drivers required updated or installed?

Any ideas? Tried finding free AMD downloads but all, so far, are after registrtaion etc.

Cheers.

Guest somner9

Using the laptop last night and the screen went blank out of the blue.

Tried the old "power off/on" routine, which always works but didnae this time!!!

Hit every button possible, not really a good idea, before hooking the laptop up to the TV, hey presto, laptops working just not the screen.

Had a message saying AMD drivers required updated or installed?

Any ideas? Tried finding free AMD downloads but all, so far, are after registrtaion etc.

Cheers.

Try not to cum on the keyboard next timewhistling.gif

Especially when watching Bruce Forsyth on the iPlayer

Can you boot the laptop into BIOS? If not it's probably not a driver issue but more likely to be hardware. If it does boot to BIOS try booting it into Windows with an external monitor attached. If you can get it there go to the AMD website, they have a tool there which will check your dirver version and download any appropriate upgrades or patches.

Can you boot the laptop into BIOS? If not it's probably not a driver issue but more likely to be hardware. If it does boot to BIOS try booting it into Windows with an external monitor attached. If you can get it there go to the AMD website, they have a tool there which will check your dirver version and download any appropriate upgrades or patches.

The laptop is running ok, hooked up to TV right now.

I'll try the AMD website and let you know.

Cheers.

Tried googling for things that sounded like your problem.

Dunno if anything is worth trying...

"Try connecting an external monitor -- if nothing is visible may be the video circuitry in the laptop.

If external monitor works, start computericon1.png again with the laptop screen, try shining a torch on it -- if something is visible the illumination has failed -- nothing visible, the screen or ribbon cable have gone."

"I used to have this problem awhile back when I was using an AMD chip with my Radeon 6950.

I was having the same problem you are having, and it was not any of the other components in the computer or so I had thought. I bought a 8800GT cheap off of my friend, since he got a newer card. I put it in there to see if the 6950 was the problem, which I was hoping it was. It wasnt. The issue remained the same with the 8800GT. I figured I would play with it for awhile, but then I got rather tired of it. I got very annoyed over it shutting it down after every time I tried to do something graphics intensive. I was then trying to figure it out one day, and was looking in the case at the possible components it could have been. I hadn't checked the RAM, and figured I may as well. Took out 2 sticks of it (had 4) and TADA! The problem was fixed.

This might not work for you, I have learned the origin of this problem is different for everyone, I thought I might just say this just in case."

and finally:

"I know I'm double-posting, but I just wanted to update: it's working, seemingly, for now. When it first happened a few days ago, that trick where you take out the battery, turn your laptop upside down, and hold the power button for 60 seconds worked.

A couple days later, went to use my laptop. It was on but the screen had froze, so I shut it down, and started it up, but the screen was black. Tried the trick again but didn't work, kept doing it, researching online, trying several key combos (FN + F5, CTR + ALT + F1-F11, etc.) and nothing worked.

I took it apart this morning. I don't know if that was the problem, but the hard drive wasn"t in all the way. I took it out all the way, cleaned all the dust out, and put my hard drive back in, and made sure it was secured all the way this time. Put my laptop back together, and it worked fine. Posting from it now. I haven't shut it down and turned it back on again to see if the problem occurred, and really don't want to just yet.

And in case it makes a difference, if anyone else has the same problem, I've got a Sony Vaio VPCEE21FX."

"If the hard drive isn't in all the way then the computerlb_icon1.png probably won't post, which could have been the issue (it may have been "on" but unable to bring anything up). However, it sounds to me like more of a wiring issue or graphics card issue."

good luck. :(

This sounds daft, but have you tried closing the laptop screen then opening it it really fast?

My old one used to get confused and think it was open when it was actually closed and vice versa, this fix worked.

It does sound daft and I tried it, next? lol.gif

PS Has your laptop tried therapy? whistling.gif

PS If the screen works with the lid down I can see a problem.

Edited by faraway saint

Tried googling for things that sounded like your problem.

Dunno if anything is worth trying...

"Try connecting an external monitor -- if nothing is visible may be the video circuitry in the laptop.

If external monitor works, start computericon1.png again with the laptop screen, try shining a torch on it -- if something is visible the illumination has failed -- nothing visible, the screen or ribbon cable have gone."

"I used to have this problem awhile back when I was using an AMD chip with my Radeon 6950.

I was having the same problem you are having, and it was not any of the other components in the computer or so I had thought. I bought a 8800GT cheap off of my friend, since he got a newer card. I put it in there to see if the 6950 was the problem, which I was hoping it was. It wasnt. The issue remained the same with the 8800GT. I figured I would play with it for awhile, but then I got rather tired of it. I got very annoyed over it shutting it down after every time I tried to do something graphics intensive. I was then trying to figure it out one day, and was looking in the case at the possible components it could have been. I hadn't checked the RAM, and figured I may as well. Took out 2 sticks of it (had 4) and TADA! The problem was fixed.

This might not work for you, I have learned the origin of this problem is different for everyone, I thought I might just say this just in case."

and finally:

"I know I'm double-posting, but I just wanted to update: it's working, seemingly, for now. When it first happened a few days ago, that trick where you take out the battery, turn your laptop upside down, and hold the power button for 60 seconds worked.

A couple days later, went to use my laptop. It was on but the screen had froze, so I shut it down, and started it up, but the screen was black. Tried the trick again but didn't work, kept doing it, researching online, trying several key combos (FN + F5, CTR + ALT + F1-F11, etc.) and nothing worked.

I took it apart this morning. I don't know if that was the problem, but the hard drive wasn"t in all the way. I took it out all the way, cleaned all the dust out, and put my hard drive back in, and made sure it was secured all the way this time. Put my laptop back together, and it worked fine. Posting from it now. I haven't shut it down and turned it back on again to see if the problem occurred, and really don't want to just yet.

And in case it makes a difference, if anyone else has the same problem, I've got a Sony Vaio VPCEE21FX."

"If the hard drive isn't in all the way then the computerlb_icon1.png probably won't post, which could have been the issue (it may have been "on" but unable to bring anything up). However, it sounds to me like more of a wiring issue or graphics card issue."

good luck. sad.png

Trying the AMD download right now.

I'll let you know before I start any of the above.

Cheers.

Try scouring it with Ajax. Use plenty of elbow grease.

PS sounds like hard ware. Is it still under guarentee? The request for drivers is just looking for a driver for your telly which does not need one.

Not under guarentee, and it's looking for a driver in the laptop.

I've also tried swearing at it, didnae work either.

Cheers.

Went to AMD site which searched laptop and recommended drivers, installed and nothing happened.

I'm now armed with a screwdriver to check if evetything is connected properly.

Oh, dear, here we go..................................

This is hilarious.

I'm sitting here with a mug of tea and some sandwiches waiting for updates.

This is hilarious.

I'm sitting here with a mug of tea and some sandwiches waiting for updates.

Ok, latest, opened it up, gulp, detached hard drive from ribbon cable, cleaned them both, put it back toether and hey presto....................

Still nothing!!!!!

PS Hope ye drap yer tea and burn yerself. wink.png

Edited by faraway saint

Oh funny zzzzzzzzzzzz

Well it's funnier than "liking" and then "unliking" all of my posts.1eye.gif

Wait you forgot to do it this time.bangin.gif

P.S. I hope your laptop is f*ck*d. It doesn't surprise me it has a virus. Did you stick your boaby in it again? youngman-sign.gifjerry.gif

P.S. I hope your laptop is f*ck*d. It doesn't surprise me it has a virus. Did you stick your boaby in it again? youngman-sign.gif jerry.gif

Oh name calling again, it isn't big and it isn't hard.

Run along, therapy tomorrow. Ha ha ha. Pity you can't delete that. Lol

P.S. I hope your laptop is f*ck*d. It doesn't surprise me it has a virus. Did you stick your boaby in it again? youngman-sign.gifjerry.gif

Oh name calling again, it isn't big and it isn't hard.

Run along, therapy tomorrow. Ha ha ha. Pity you can't delete that. Lol

Stop it,just stop it.huh.png