Laptop Screen

faraway saint

Using the laptop last night and the screen went blank out of the blue.

Tried the old "power off/on" routine, which always works but didnae this time!!!

Hit every button possible, not really a good idea, before hooking the laptop up to the TV, hey presto, laptops working just not the screen.

Had a message saying AMD drivers required updated or installed?

Any ideas? Tried finding free AMD downloads but all, so far, are after registrtaion etc.

Cheers.

FFS I don't believe this. My screen went black tonight.

When I turn it off and on again it comes back to life for 3 seconds and then goes black again.

Thankfully I've got a laptop.

New screen tomorrow.

On the positive side, it went black half way through reading one of Tony A's crap posts.

Edited by oaksoft

FFS I don't believe this. My screen went black tonight.

When I turn it off and on again it comes back to life for 3 seconds and then goes black again.

Thankfully I've got a laptop.

New screen tomorrow.

On the positive side, it went black half way through reading one of Tony A's crap posts.

These aliases of yours are getting worse Robert. You really must try harder...snore.gif.

Only slight issue is I'm not 100% sure it's the screen, could be a connection between the power and screen, hate to purchase a screen then find out it wasn't the real cause.

Might have to follow the Youtube video showing how to dismantle and see if anything is looking out of place as I go through each step.

My HP is four years old. (Also ruby red. I like it. )

It's fast and powerful enough, big screen...

The jack point for charging the battery is buggered. A common problem it seems. Sometimes it worked sometimes not, dependent on how the jack fitted ... or not.

I " knew" it wisnae the charger that was failing but went to a recycling depot and sourced a replacement charger for £10. That seemed to work. For a while. :(

Watching the YouTube for replacing the jack point was an astoundingly complicated task. Dozens of different shaped TINY screws to be removed , stored and replaced in their correct order. A long job.

But there has been another niggle.... I can't run it for a couple of hours screening something online, without it failing. It is time to move on.

It will join my museum of computers, "kept as stand-by, just in case..."

Sometimes, faraway, a bullet must be bitten. The future must be stepped intae. The wallet needs be prised open.

I know you could get yer name creditted on a lot of celebratory DVDs... But consider your priorities. :)

Edited by bluto

My HP is four years old. (Also ruby red. I like it. )

It's fast and powerful enough, big screen...

The jack point for charging the battery is buggered. A common problem it seems. Sometimes it worked sometimes not, dependent on how the jack fitted ... or not.

I " knew" it wisnae the charger that was failing but went to a recycling depot and sourced a replacement charger for £10. That seemed to work. For a while. sad.png

Watching the YouTube for replacing the jack point was an astoundingly complicated task. Dozens of different shaped TINY screws to be removed , stored and replaced in their correct order. A long job.

But there has been another niggle.... I can't run it for a couple of hours screening something online, without it failing. It is time to move on.

It will join my museum of computers, "kept as stand-by, just in case..."

Sometimes, faraway, a bullet must be bitten. The future must be stepped intae. The wallet needs be prised open.

I know you could get yer name creditted on a lot of celebratory DVDs... But consider your priorities. smile.png

Woah, wait a minute, I'm still along way away from purchasing a new laptop.

I'm not phased by the tiny screws etc, I just need to be sure what the problem is then I'll, yes me, will fix it.

(If I bugger it right up then I'll buy a new laptop and not tell you, or anyone else. tongue.png )

Woah, wait a minute, I'm still along way away from purchasing a new laptop.

I'm not phased by the tiny screws etc, I just need to be sure what the problem is then I'll, yes me, will fix it.

(If I bugger it right up then I'll buy a new laptop and not tell you, or anyone else. :P )

Fairy Nuff.

The screen replacement looks comparatively straightforward. :rolleyes:

Try to find a computer/techy recycler near you. (We've several down here). There's mountains of old computery stuff that COULD be reused...

I have it sitting in my loft, too...

Bought a new screen from Argos £90.

Bigger than the previous one.

Installation manual helpfully supplied on a CD !!!

So I need to install the screen to read the installation procedure.

You couldn't make this up.

Fortunately I'm brilliantly clever and was able to find the plug all on my own.

So all ends well.......except for the fact that I forgot to check the screen came with speakers.....which it doesn't so another £8.

But hey! We won the cup 2 weeks ago so who cares.

Edited by oaksoft

Bought a new screen from Argos £90.

Bigger than the previous one.

Installation manual helpfully supplied on a CD !!!

So I need to install the screen to read the installation procedure.

You couldn't make this up.

Fortunately I'm brilliantly clever and was able to find the plug all on my own.

So all ends well.......except for the fact that I forgot to check the screen came with speakers.....which it doesn't so another £8.

But hey! We won the cup 2 weeks ago so who cares.

If the screens bigger doesn't it hang over the edge of the laptop? Oh wait, its no a laptop, right?

Going to have a go at taking thr screen apart tomorrow, see if There's anything obvious at that stage before I go buying a new screen, watch this space.

First thing to check is if the ribbon cable from LCD panel to main board is unseated!

First thing to check is if the ribbon cable from LCD panel to main board is unseated!

Already crossed my mind, managed to get the screen removed and the connection attached to the screen was ok but I'd like to check if the connection at the main board but can't get access.

I thought if I removed/loosened all the screws the base would pop/release but it's not wanting to budge....................nothings ever easy.

PS Bluto, thanks for the battery tip, my hairs now like the early Jacksons, too late ya auld nugget! wink.png