Buddie Arrested For Free Speech!

To even suggest the police wade in and arrest people in that situation is madness, it would have inflamed matters. A dawn chap on the door is the way to go, those who need to be brought to justice will be.

I agree CCTV in stadiums is shit hot and their is no hiding. Police also have a good idea who is causing problems and social networking is actually helping as these muppets post about what they gave done. Much better and safer for the police to calm it them kick the f**k out them at dawn when no one is filming!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/celtic-rangers-old-firm-under-17-1860750

This. Note the comments that "police and stewards looked on", and only THREE arrests. Why are those stewards in the picture not intervening like they did at SMP? Scumbags every one.

Nail on the head - seen this earlier and also wondered why the stewards were looking instead of acting

The old firm - Ashamed of nothing / Offended by EVERYTHING

Guest TPAFKATS

Nail on the head - seen this earlier and also wondered why the stewards were looking instead of acting

The old firm - Ashamed of nothing / Offended by EVERYTHING

Do you mean the photo with dozens of smelltic fans (including one looking like he's about to throw a seat) and two stewards looking at them?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/celtic-rangers-old-firm-under-17-1860750

This. Note the comments that "police and stewards looked on", and only THREE arrests. Why are those stewards in the picture not intervening like they did at SMP? Scumbags every one.

Why would you think it would be sensible for them to wade in all Billy Big Bollox when they can simply allow them to be filmed, identified and arrested at a later date?

The police know from painful experience that going in gung ho is bloody stupid and makes the situation worse.

• 3 months later...

Well, the Procurator Fiscal decided not to prosecute me for the 'crime' I was charged with. Permit me to describe the events...

On the 31st of March this year Celtic came to Paisley and as the players walked through the plastic tunnel I said, 'free Palestine' hoping the Israeli player Beram Kayal would hear it.

This comment was not 'banter' nor said with malice it was a political statement to indicate that there were people in this country who objected the inhumane treatment by the Israeli government to the people living under military occupation in the Palestinian territories an example is the Palestinian football player, Mahmoud Sarsak whom I met when he was over here.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/i-had-to-appear-that-i-was-happy-to-be-released-but-my-heart-was-aching-for-my-friends-still-in-jail.21338365

Shortly afterwords, two police officers shuffled along my row and asked me to accompany them into the main stand. They said that they had received a complaint from Beram Kayal and if I repeated my comment of, 'free Palestine' I would be arrested and charged under section 1 of the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012. I said arrest me now because I couldn't accept being subject to, as I saw it, a political gag.

I returned to my seat and after a few minutes I stood up and cried, 'free Palestine!'. The police returned, led me again to the main stand, charged and hand-cuffed me then transported me to a cell in Mill St. despite my protestations of me being a season ticket holder and claiming diplomatic immunity!

However, I was angry at my arrest. A 65 year old with no criminal record and considering Neil Lennon's behaviour was such that he was summoned to appear before the SFA for, in their words, 'repeated use of offensive, insulting and abusive language'. Didn't the police hear him?

I considered my comment political and not abusive and (I have reason to believe Kayal did not make the complaint) was not prepared for the police or Celtic football club to limit or define my right to free speech.

Finally, thanks to all of you who supported me on these pages.

Not read any of this thread until now so forgive me if this has been covered.. but why did you choose raise political issues at a football game and what does any of it have to do with Kayal, just because he is from Israel?

This.

Do you shout 'Free Palestine' at every Israeli you come in contact with?

Well, the Procurator Fiscal decided not to prosecute me for the 'crime' I was charged with. Permit me to describe the events...

On the 31st of March this year Celtic came to Paisley and as the players walked through the plastic tunnel I said, 'free Palestine' hoping the Israeli player Beram Kayal would hear it.

This comment was not 'banter' nor said with malice it was a political statement to indicate that there were people in this country who objected the inhumane treatment by the Israeli government to the people living under military occupation in the Palestinian territories an example is the Palestinian football player, Mahmoud Sarsak whom I met when he was over here.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/i-had-to-appear-that-i-was-happy-to-be-released-but-my-heart-was-aching-for-my-friends-still-in-jail.21338365

Shortly afterwords, two police officers shuffled along my row and asked me to accompany them into the main stand. They said that they had received a complaint from Beram Kayal and if I repeated my comment of, 'free Palestine' I would be arrested and charged under section 1 of the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012. I said arrest me now because I couldn't accept being subject to, as I saw it, a political gag.

I returned to my seat and after a few minutes I stood up and cried, 'free Palestine!'. The police returned, led me again to the main stand, charged and hand-cuffed me then transported me to a cell in Mill St. despite my protestations of me being a season ticket holder and claiming diplomatic immunity!

However, I was angry at my arrest. A 65 year old with no criminal record and considering Neil Lennon's behaviour was such that he was summoned to appear before the SFA for, in their words, 'repeated use of offensive, insulting and abusive language'. Didn't the police hear him?

I considered my comment political and not abusive and (I have reason to believe Kayal did not make the complaint) was not prepared for the police or Celtic football club to limit or define my right to free speech.

Your stance is admirable but St Mirren Park is not the place to be making political statements.

Thank goodness you updated us.

Personally I've not slept for worrying about this case.

It's unbelieveable that a 65 year old adult would behave in this way.

What absolute nonsense.

Who decides this? Who decides where you can and can't make political statements?

The plight of the entire middle east is a serious issue.

A pensioner yelling shit at a footballer who comes from one of those countries is embarassing and diminishes the struggle of those people.

If you want to help the Palestinian cause then why not do it through one of the many legitimate channels already in place for that purpose?

This whole case smacks of someone either trying to be a smart arse or someone who wants to be seen to be doing something. In other words caring more about doing it for their own sense of being important than doing it for the cause itself.

That is exactly the same thing as those annoying charity muggers who harass you in the street claiming to be doing work for the charity when in actual fact they just want to feel good themselves by getting their boxes filled. This sort of selfish pish puts people off the causes themselves.

Maybe he should contact a Palestinian organisation, tell them what he's done and ask them how he has moved the cause on in any way or shape? Maybe he'll get a medal and some praise. Maybe that's what he's after.

Sounds like attention seeking twattery to me and I should know.

Edited by oaksoft

We have differing views on the subject but I am very pleased to hear you were not prosecuted for you believe in. 65 ? I thought you were a young student :)

The plight of the entire middle east is a serious issue.

A pensioner yelling shit at a footballer who comes from one of those countries is embarassing and diminishes the struggle of those people.

If you want to help the Palestinian cause then why not do it through one of the many legitimate channels already in place for that purpose?

This whole case smacks of someone either trying to be a smart arse or someone who wants to be seen to be doing something. In other words caring more about doing it for their own sense of being important than doing it for the cause itself.

That is exactly the same thing as those annoying charity muggers who harass you in the street claiming to be doing work for the charity when in actual fact they just want to feel good themselves by getting their boxes filled. This sort of selfish pish puts people off the causes themselves.

Maybe he should contact a Palestinian organisation, tell them what he's done and ask them how he has moved the cause on in any way or shape? Maybe he'll get a medal and some praise. Maybe that's what he's after.

Sounds like attention seeking twattery to me and I should know.

I totally agree with your point about what was shouted being an bit embarrassing. Totally agree with the smart arse thing. The thing that riles me about this situation is the fact the gentleman was removed from the stadium and arrested. Why? The law that he was deemed to have broken is an ass. The way it is being interpreted by some coppers is pathetic. The question I ask is why should you not be free to make a political statement in a football ground?

You asked who decides wether a football ground is a suitable place for a polical demonstration and I answered that everyone else in the ground decided that when they bought a ticket for a football game not a political debate/rally.

So your saying the crowd at a football match collectively decides the things that can and cant be spoken about at the game? How does this work then?

I totally agree with your point about what was shouted being an bit embarrassing. Totally agree with the smart arse thing. The thing that riles me about this situation is the fact the gentleman was removed from the stadium and arrested. Why? The law that he was deemed to have broken is an ass. The way it is being interpreted by some coppers is pathetic. The question I ask is why should you not be free to make a political statement in a football ground?

Cos he was shouting something at a player which was based on his nationality and when asked to stop he behaved like a 16 year old twat and carried on. Removing him from the ground was reasonable. Maybe sending him to court wasn't but kicking him out was the right thing to do IMO.

So your saying the crowd at a football match collectively decides the things that can and cant be spoken about at the game? How does this work then?

Im saying if you went round and asked everyone if they wanted to watch the game or listen to someone shout about Palestine then it would pretty unanimous. If it was only being 'spoken about' then that would be fine but it was shouted at a player.. twice.

Braidmaster,

I should have maybe added "in my opinion" to my previous post.

I go to football to support my team and switch off from real life for a couple of hours,not to be subjected to peoples political feelings.

You say people should be allowed to vent their political thoughts.Does this include peoples support for the IRA/UDA etc?

OK take a step back here and let me ask you to take this to its logical conclusion.

At what point would you as a paying customer get pissed off about a political act at a football ground?

What if he'd decided to wave a Palestinian flag?

What about if he'd decided to invade the pitch?

What if 300 fans made a concerted effort to demonstrate by attacking Kayal by disrupting the game?

The problem with politics is that it has the capacity to escalate to a point where it disrupts everything and everyone and suddenly one man's "crusade" becomes everyone else's disruption.

We don't need politics at football matches. We pay to see football and deserve the right to do that peacefully without anyone trying to hijack the agenda for their own attention seeking twattery.

What we appear to be disagreeing about here is how far the protests should go before someone steps in.

All I'm saying is that if someone is a zealot there's no controlling them and so it's best to disconnect sport and politics completely.