Buddie Arrested For Free Speech!

Have just saw this thread and while you will understand as I work in this area I cannot make comment on individual arrests I would like to clear up a couple of things.

Whilst probably agreeing it is not the worst crime ever it does break the current laws and that are the only ones that can be policed however it is understandbly frustrating when other fans seem to be getting off with things but the officers concerned can only police the area of the park they are in.

As for ejecting him from the parkbeing the more sensible option? Probably.

However can I add when we are given our remit from our bosses it is that only the stewards can eject fans from the game,if we are taking anyone out they will be under arrest.

As I say am not debating the rights and wrongs just hopefully clearing up a couple technical points.

Braidmaster,

I should have maybe added "in my opinion" to my previous post.

I go to football to support my team and switch off from real life for a couple of hours,not to be subjected to peoples political feelings.

You say people should be allowed to vent their political thoughts.Does this include peoples support for the IRA/UDA etc?

In answer to your question I would say yes. I believe you should be able to say what you like where you like short of making threats or inciting violence. If Rangers fans want to sing the Billy Boys let them. If Celtic Fans want to sing songs Glorifying the IRA let them. As a human being I have the power to ignore anything said or shouted I don't agree with. For the record I don't agree with what the gentleman on this occasion shouted and I wouldn't go to a football match to make a statement like this myself. I just find it abhorrent that a man was taken to the brink of criminalisation for speaking a sentence like this.

OK take a step back here and let me ask you to take this to its logical conclusion.

At what point would you as a paying customer get pissed off about a political act at a football ground?

What if he'd decided to wave a Palestinian flag?

What about if he'd decided to invade the pitch?

What if 300 fans made a concerted effort to demonstrate by attacking Kayal by disrupting the game?

The problem with politics is that it has the capacity to escalate to a point where it disrupts everything and everyone and suddenly one man's "crusade" becomes everyone else's disruption.

We don't need politics at football matches. We pay to see football and deserve the right to do that peacefully without anyone trying to hijack the agenda for their own attention seeking twattery.

What we appear to be disagreeing about here is how far the protests should go before someone steps in.

All I'm saying is that if someone is a zealot there's no controlling them and so it's best to disconnect sport and politics completely.

We're not talking about acts of civil disobedience or disruptions to a match though are we? We're talking about a man making a statement in a football match. It's an issue of free speech. Would you be happy for someone who shouted "better together" or "vote yes" at a football match to be arrested?

In answer to your question I would say yes. I believe you should be able to say what you like where you like short of making threats or inciting violence. If Rangers fans want to sing the Billy Boys let them. If Celtic Fans want to sing songs Glorifying the IRA let them. As a human being I have the power to ignore anything said or shouted I don't agree with. For the record I don't agree with what the gentleman on this occasion shouted and I wouldn't go to a football match to make a statement like this myself. I just find it abhorrent that a man was taken to the brink of criminalisation for speaking a sentence like this.

Sorry bud but you'll end up going to football on your own.

We changed all that because football in the 80's was absolutely f**king brutal.

We're not talking about acts of civil disobedience or disruptions to a match though are we? We're talking about a man making a statement in a football match. It's an issue of free speech. Would you be happy for someone who shouted "better together" or "vote yes" at a football match to be arrested?

You see them as the same thing? 1eye.gif

The issue isn't the shouiting. The issue is that a player was targetted purely because of his nationality.

When I was growing up we called this racism.

You see them as the same thing? 1eye.gif

The issue isn't the shouiting. The issue is that a player was targetted purely because of his nationality.

When I was growing up we called this racism.

Explain how the comment was racist. If it was a racist he would have been prosecuted. And rightly so.

Explain how the comment was racist. If it was a racist he would have been prosecuted. And rightly so.

I knew you would try splitting hairs over the technical definition of racism in order to deflect away from the issue.

The issue is very simple. I support freedom of speech within reasonable limits (as with the majority of people) but I don't support the targetting of someone for abuse of any kind purely because of where they come from. If you do support that then that's your right but prepare to be challenged, arrested if needed and go through the potential stress and needless worry of being potentially prosecuted.

This is NOT a freedom of speech issue. This is an issue of attacking someone because of their place of birth. You are attempting to defend the indefensible.

I knew you would try splitting hairs over the technical definition of racism in order to deflect away from the issue.

The issue is very simple. I support freedom of speech within reasonable limits (as with the majority of people) but I don't support the targetting of someone for abuse of any kind purely because of where they come from. If you do support that then that's your right but prepare to be challenged, arrested if needed and go through the potential stress and needless worry of being potentially prosecuted.

This is NOT a freedom of speech issue. This is an issue of attacking someone because of their place of birth. You are attempting to defend the indefensible.

I'm sure you'll be surprised to hear I have to disagree with you on this one. Also I don't accept Kayal was abused in any way, shape or form.

Mill Street shouldve been bypassed.

Dykebar wouldve been more appropriate.

f**king lunacy spouting this shite at a football match.

Support yir team or shut the f**k up.

Have Braidmeister for company.

Free speech my bollox.

We've had enough political shite from the followers of the Blue Vermin ( deceased ) and Green Vermin for decades that has disgraced our beautiful game.

Dinnae need Saints fans going public at matches.

And picking on Kayal is pathetic.

More appropriate for St Mirren Park over the years wid be ..

FREE PIES !

FREE PROGRAMMES !

FREE ADMISSION !

FREE ELLIOT !

Not Palestine.

Palestine can be done on General Nonsense here and be debated to death as can any other political or religous topic.

And GTPS !

This section is for super dooper team formations and line ups.

You have my full agreement mon Shull,

I would also assert that this thread has ran its course. It is now being used as a vehicle for the internet troll that is behind the name Saints0 to peddle his urine. If I were a trusted moderator of this fine forum I would have closed it before now and did something really clever whereby no-one ever see's the posts made by this troll fellow so the troll himself does not realise and just thinks he is being ignored to the point that he eventually goes away.

Have I just had a clever idea?

Im saying if you went round and asked everyone if they wanted to watch the game or listen to someone shout about Palestine then it would pretty unanimous. If it was only being 'spoken about' then that would be fine but it was shouted at a player.. twice.

I sit next to the elderly chap, and I didn't hear him shout "free Palestine" the first time.

I heard him shout it the second time as after the two policeman had spoken to him, I asked him what was that about and he said to me that those two police there (pointing with his eyes) that they would arrest me if I shouted "free Palestine" again. He said this in a loud voice and was subsequently arrested.

I have wondered if, as we get closer to the Scottish Independance Referendum, whether I would be arrested under this new act for shouting "free Scotland".

The judiciary don't like this new law.

Only the police and the politicians like it.

I would also assert that this thread has ran its course. It is now being used as a vehicle for the internet troll that is behind the name Saints0 to peddle his urine. If I were a trusted moderator of this fine forum I would have closed it before now and did something really clever whereby no-one ever see's the posts made by this troll fellow so the troll himself does not realise and just thinks he is being ignored to the point that he eventually goes away.

I doubt it. Your writing style may impress your fanboys but,at the end of the day,you resort to "hide his posts" rather than engage me in debate .I appreciate that my views are not very positive at present but this is a forum and i will continue to air my thoughts .I hope i will be allowed to do so without being labelled a "troll" or "old filth supporter"

You are nothing more or less than an immature bully,asking moderators to make me "disappear" just confirms that fact,forthright views should not be just tolerated,they should be welcomed,,or has free speech been outlawed in Paisley ?

You are nothing more or less than an immature bully,asking moderators to make me "disappear" just confirms that fact,forthright views should not be just tolerated,they should be welcomed,,or has free speech been outlawed in Paisley ?

"FREE Saints0"