Tv Programmes - Good & Bad

faraway saint

As a general rule in this house we don't watch any reality tv programmes, any talent shows or any soaps.

If anyone in our home listened to me I would have a rule like that. Nobody watches soaps but they soak up reality TV programmes and lack of talent shows like there was no tomorrow. Mind numbing shit the lot of it from the odd thirty seconds that I have been unlucky enough to trip over. Is TV not just an habitual thing? Does it have to be switched on 24 hours a day? I suppose it takes all sorts.

'All the world is queer save thee and me, and even thou art a little queer.' Bloody hell, who said that? Just as well it was before there was a gay lobby.

A programme starting next week about bears looks good from the trailers. (Great Bear Stakeout BBC1)

TV enlightens and informs along with entertainment.

The soaps also bring some dark and uncomfortable subjects into the public forum.

Foolish to write ALL TV off as trash.

Suppose it takes all types.

I certainly don't think it's all trash, Faraway, but a lot is. Because I've got Sky and with the help of iPlayer I can cherry pick but I end up watching very few of the programmes I've got the kids to record for me. Not only do I not know how to record, i don't know how to turn our telly on. If it hasn't been left on standby I'm buggered. Watching TV, other than sport, is way down my list of priorities. I remember, as I'm sure you do, an age when if the telly broke down it was like a death in the family. If telly was banned world wide overnight, it really wouldn't massively change my life style. Some guys I know would be well stuffed. They'd even have to start talking to their wives.

I certainly don't think it's all trash, Faraway, but a lot is. Because I've got Sky and with the help of iPlayer I can cherry pick but I end up watching very few of the programmes I've got the kids to record for me. Not only do I not know how to record, i don't know how to turn our telly on. If it hasn't been left on standby I'm buggered. Watching TV, other than sport, is way down my list of priorities. I remember, as I'm sure you do, an age when if the telly broke down it was like a death in the family. If telly was banned world wide overnight, it really wouldn't massively change my life style. Some guys I know would be well stuffed. They'd even have to start talking to their wives.

Hang on. You gave me shit for this just a few pages ago you hypocritical bastard. lol.giflol.gif

Hang on. You gave me shit for this just a few pages ago you hypocritical bastard. lol.giflol.gif

No I didn't. The drift of what I was saying, summing it up, is that everyone should have a free choice and it didn't sound to me like your wife and kids enjoyed that freedom. You tell me they have so I believe you. I exercise my choice to watch almost no telly. My wife doesn't watch a lot either though more than me. I don't interfere with what my grown up kids watch apart from constantly telling them it's mostly shite. Freedom of choice, freedom of speech. A liberal like you should understand.

No I didn't. The drift of what I was saying, summing it up, is that everyone should have a free choice and it didn't sound to me like your wife and kids enjoyed that freedom. You tell me they have so I believe you. I exercise my choice to watch almost no telly. My wife doesn't watch a lot either though more than me. I don't interfere with what my grown up kids watch apart from constantly telling them it's mostly shite. Freedom of choice, freedom of speech. A liberal like you should understand.

And what would you do if your kids were still living at home and wanted wall to wall 24 hour TV as their choice?

Soaps, talentless shows, trashy "reality" shows. What would you do if that was on in your living room all the time?

And what would you do if your kids were still living at home and wanted wall to wall 24 hour TV as their choice?

Soaps, talentless shows, trashy "reality" shows. What would you do if that was on in your living room all the time?

That is what happens in my home. I've got three adult kids who won't sod off. It's not 24hours a day, they have social lives so they're not necessarily home every night. I sit in the back room when telly's on by and large.

That is what happens in my home. I've got three adult kids who won't sod off. It's not 24hours a day, they have social lives so they're not necessarily home every night. I sit in the back room when telly's on by and large.

Sitting in the back room all alone? I'm welling up here. I thought I was anti-social.

As for the adult kids who won't sod off? No idea what I'd do about that. Always thought I'd kick them out at 18 but it turns out I don't have a heart of stone and that actually I quite like having them around. When my son left it felt like a death in the family.

My eldest daughter leaves next year for uni. It'll be emotional carnage.

Enjoy them while you can.

Now I know how my mother felt when I left 23 years ago.

Mind you she still hasn't taken all of the bunting down...........

As a general rule in this house we don't watch any reality tv programmes, any talent shows or any soaps.
If anyone in our home listened to me I would have a rule like that. Nobody watches soaps but they soak up reality TV programmes and lack of talent shows like there was no tomorrow. Mind numbing shit the lot of it from the odd thirty seconds that I have been unlucky enough to trip over. Is TV not just an habitual thing? Does it have to be switched on 24 hours a day? I suppose it takes all sorts. 'All the world is queer save thee and me, and even thou art a little queer.' Bloody hell, who said that? Just as well it was before there was a gay lobby.
I think it's came about through a combination of things Ricky, mum & dad usually had the radio on unless there was something they specifically wanted to watch, so I've tended to follow that example (when breakfast TV started I was probably the only kid in school who didn't watch it - mum was convinced we'd be too busy staring at the TV it'd take us ages to get ready for school, so it was Riddy in the morning, or Wavey Davy on Clyde 261 with my ready brek and a bit of Frank Skerrit on Saturday afternoon before the footie) Between that, the fact that I've got a bit of a 'reading habit' and not having kids myself I suppose.

I'm watching something on BBC FOUR about rock pools.It's f'kin amazing.smile.png

I'll watch it on iPlayer. That's the thing with telly, there are some absolutely brilliant programmes but if you blink you miss them. But there are days still when I can pick up a TV guide and there is absolutely nothing on the whole day that I really want to see.

Graham Norton - the skill required to make 3 guests seem entertaining when the 3 usually are not is very underestimated. thumbup2.gif

Suppose most chat show hosts make it look an easy job, I doubt it is. whistling.gif

Only two words. "The Voice". Fed up listening to your voice.