Richard Brittan Wants Out

Kendo

I don't think the injury was as bad as it first looked, was he not hopeful of making pre-season?

Cheers Ross, it's still very interesting and worth watching developments. This story might have a few more twists and turns. I wonder where he'll end up and I wonder if he'll be fully fit.

• 3 weeks later...

It just got more bizarre.

Richard Brittain has been registered with the Scottish FA as a Ross County player after signing a contract extension with the Highland outfit.

The 29-year-old signed a pre-contract agreement with St Johnstone in January but has since expressed a desire to stay with County for personal reasons.

He is not currently registered with the SFA as a St Johnstone player but is so with the Scottish Premier League.

As things stands, Brittain can play for neither club in the SPL.

To play in the top flight, he must be registered with the same club with the both the league and the SFA.

St Johnstone are being arseholes over this TBH.

The guy doesn't want to work for you he should be free to go elsewhere like virtually every other job in the world.

Clearly Brown just wants some compensation and his ego and greed is forcing someone to go without earning a living.

There needs to be some law against blatant abuse like that.

Guest somner9

Brittain is obviously trying to secure a signing to sevco, and has concocted this elaborate plan to be allowed to play in the SFL!whistling.gif

BUT!!! has the creation of the SPFL f**ked his plans right up?bangin.gif

St Johnstone are being arseholes over this TBH.

The guy doesn't want to work for you he should be free to go elsewhere like virtually every other job in the world.

Clearly Brown just wants some compensation and his ego and greed is forcing someone to go without earning a living.

There needs to be some law against blatant abuse like that.

The thing is Brittan effectively signed a contract agreeing to join St J. If St J had turned round now and said 'We don't want you any longer' they would be slated for it. If this goes to the sports arbitration council and they decide a footballer can rip us a contract any time he likes that could cause real problems. Just imagine if someone like McGowan was offered a contract for a premiership team today and he could say ok, rip up his Saint Mirren contract and walk away.

The thing is Brittan effectively signed a contract agreeing to join St J. If St J had turned round now and said 'We don't want you any longer' they would be slated for it. If this goes to the sports arbitration council and they decide a footballer can rip us a contract any time he likes that could cause real problems. Just imagine if someone like McGowan was offered a contract for a premiership team today and he could say ok, rip up his Saint Mirren contract and walk away.

Spot on, however you can see both sides of the story. It will be interesting to see how this gets settled.

Guest somner9

Spot on, however you can see both sides of the story. It will be interesting to see how this gets settled.

I can see St jonstone just sitting on it as A: he isn't costing anything and B: he can't play until Brittain or County give the fakes a sweetener!

County on the other hand will be paying someone they can't play!

You like me can change your job whenever it suits.footballers should be no different

Edited by lovestreet

lovestreet beat me to it.

No employee should be on a contract which ties them for an amount of time.

People should be free to ply their trade wherever they like.

You retain the transfer window preventing clubs from signing a player at certain parts of the season to retain the credibility of the league but clubs should not be in a position where they can veto an employee's right to move.

Just like virtually every single other business in the world.

The idea that a club can demand payment to essentially "traffic" a human being is frankly grotesque.

Football lives in a strange world.

Edited by oaksoft

You retain the transfer window preventing clubs from signing a player at certain parts of the season to retain the credibility of the league but clubs should not be in a position where they can veto an employee's right to move.

The idea that a club can demand payment to essentially "traffic" a human being is frankly grotesque.

You would think you were talking about the slave trade FFS.

Some of the money footballers are on is crazy money. The contract is there to protect the player as well as the club, there are some players on funny money that have ruined clubs. Don't feel sorry for the players, feel sorry for the clubs and the fans. I bet Mr Brittan is on a wage that most fans would die for.

You would think you were talking about the slave trade FFS.

Some of the money footballers are on is crazy money. The contract is there to protect the player as well as the club, there are some players on funny money that have ruined clubs. Don't feel sorry for the players, feel sorry for the clubs and the fans. I bet Mr Brittan is on a wage that most fans would die for.

Slave trade? Stop being melodramatic. It's a restriction of free trade which is the problem.

Not sure what salary has to do with it.

I'm not saying players shouldn't be able to move, that was effectively decided by the Bosman ruling. Brittan agreed a move and signed a contract to move, he now wants to go back on that and stay at Ross County, maybe next week he'll decide he wants to go to Thistle and then get an offer he can't refuse from Sevco before the season starts.

Oaksoft you need to get a grip. There is no restriction of free trade

Footballers are very highly paid and sign contracts to protect themselves and the clubs. They are very few players in financial trouble but many clubs are in a mess due to agreeing contracts that favor the players

I'm not saying players shouldn't be able to move, that was effectively decided by the Bosman ruling. Brittan agreed a move and signed a contract to move, he now wants to go back on that and stay at Ross County, maybe next week he'll decide he wants to go to Thistle and then get an offer he can't refuse from Sevco before the season starts.

And why is it OK for you to do that with your work but not a footballer?

Oaksoft you need to get a grip. There is no restriction of free trade Footballers are very highly paid and sign contracts to protect themselves and the clubs. They are very few players in financial trouble but many clubs are in a mess due to agreeing contracts that favor the players

You still haven't explained why salary level is relevant.

You also say there's no restriction on free trade but that is exactly what this thread is about.

Brittain wants to stay at Ross and he's not being allowed to do that. That's a restriction. Or do you have another definition of "no restriction of free trade" in mind which would cover this scenario?

And finally, I'd like someone to explain why the needs of a commercial football club should outweigh the rights of the individual.

Can ANYONE justify that?

Edited by oaksoft

Cause a didnea sign a contract and my work didnea offer me one. Also I don't have an agent

Well given the fact that you can't actually get a job as a footballer without a contract I'd say that was irrelevant.

What I'm saying is "change the system".

What you are saying is "You can't change the system because.....the system won't allow it".

Hmmmm.

Edited by oaksoft

You still haven't explained why salary level is relevant.

You also say there's no restriction on free trade but that is exactly what this thread is about.

Brittain wants to stay at Ross and he's not being allowed to do that. That's a restriction. Or do you have another definition of "no restriction of free trade" in mind which would cover this scenario?

And finally, I'd like someone to explain why the needs of a commercial football club should outweigh the rights of the individual.

Can ANYONE justify that?

I agree, change the system and do away with PCA's. Then we'll have moaning from players who are told they are being released that they'll need to wait until at least their contract expires before they can start looking for other clubs.

I just hope Brittan knows what he's doing, he could find himself being released at the end of his contract with whoever he eventually plays for and other clubs reluctant to sign him because of this.

Brittan has agreed a contract (to sign a contract to play) and is attempting to break it. Zurich Alan's better than me at this, but if he is deemed breaking it, under Scots Law, I think it's then up to the plaintiff to demonstrate how much has been lost as a result of the breech. That could be interesting.....

Well given the fact that you can't actually get a job as a footballer without a contract I'd say that was irrelevant.

What I'm saying is "change the system".

What you are saying is "You can't change the system because.....the system won't allow it".

Hmmmm.

I think the bit highlighted is wrong Oaksoft.

A player needs to be registered to a club but doesn't actually NEED an extended contract.

Players want contracts to protect their earnings even if the fail in their chosen profession. Agents want contracts as it means they can convince players they can get them long term, lucrative deals.

Top clubs want contracts to protect the player continuity through a given period.

Smaller clubs want contracts to protect their investment in players.

It works and I personally get annoyed when we, as a club, develop a young player only to lose that player with little or no compensation for the investment, both financially and in coaching time.