Smisa Player Of The Year Night - Saturday 11Th May @ Uws Student Union

Tennant's Lager

how'd it go ?

It was a good night. Just about all the players were there except for Gowser and Carey. Thommo picked up most of the awards from the travel clubs and websites and looked very emotional as he was going up to collect his B&W army player of the year award. John McGinn received young player of the year and cheesy and Goodwin picked up other player of the year awards. Danny, Goodwin and thommo all gave speeches to the fans basically thanking us for our support throughout the season. The players all posed for photos with fans and gave out autographs. Overall it was a very good event and there was a good turnout from our fans.

how'd it go ?

strange being in a students union after 30 years.

Not the best venue.

Too dark for good photos of the kids with the players.

The players did mix eventually once the kids set about seeking photos and autographs.

Had a friends kid with me asking for photos with a lot of the players, Dougie, Sammy, Sam, Thommo, Gary, Lewis, Cheesy, and captain Jim. All were very good and happy to share a few words.

Saw Captain Jim in the stairwell chatting with an older supporter who flies up from the south 4 or 5 times a season.

This would have been best held at the club. We should develop the unused space we have at the stadium.

Even without a new facility supporters, kids and adults, could have gathered in the kiosk areas until the corporate guests had departed and then moved everyone upstairs.

Was the event only on for an hour or so?

I wasn't watching the clock but I don't think the players arrived until after 6pm.

I left around 7.15pm and apart from seeing Jim Goodwin in the stairwell and I Steven Thompson who was still being besieged by supporters in the bar, I think most had left.

It was a great wee night with close to a 200 in attendance. Everyone I spoke to enjoyed it. Appreciate some of the comments above and if we do one next year we will try and make improvements where possible.

Sadly the idea of doing this sort of thing that only lasts an hour or two at St Mirren Park straight after the last home game just wouldn't work with the corporate area being unavailable until well after 6. It's always been a problem locating a town centre venue that would cater for a couple of hundred people on a Saturday evening.

A big thank you to Alan Provan and everyone at Provan Sports for selling the tickets and donating a few raffle prizes. It was very much appreciated.

Hope people enjoyed it!

• 1 month later...