Childhood Holidays

faraway saint

Remember going to Millport once, Mother handed me my roll & banana, yummy, fcuking big seagull swooped down, nabbed the whole damn thing. ohmy.png

Nipped my finger a wee bit, cried for ages, fcuking seagulls.mad.gif

That's my boy !!! thumbup2.gifpunk.giflol.gif

post-1795-0-02963900-1366462332_thumb.jp

That's my boy !!! thumbup2.gifpunk.giflol.gif

attachicon.gifSeagull-in-Flight.jpeg

Hated seagulls after I got my war wound but after I saw Watership Down I changed my mind when I saw Kehaar, the Norwegian black headed gull. He was a nice big bird. I've never seen as many gulls as I did in Cornwall. Great place for a holiday but gulls can damned nearly ruin it for you.

anywhere in the uk. my parents had a Volkswagen, camper van, so 9 of us would pack in and away we would go. some years it would be scotland: nairn, pitlochry etc. the following year it could be wales (via blackpool) happy days. :-)

Edited by delpierro

My parents had a touring caravan when we were young and we would go all over, usually England - Great Yarmouth, Cornwall, Scarborough and places like that, we would also go to Balloch for a couple of nights at the weekend between Easter and the summer. I loved these holidays doing family things, going to the beach, the funfairs, playing cards or board games at night or if we were on a site with a bar we would go there sometimes. I loved it so much that we bought a touring van a few years ago and now take our children to all these places.

Alternated between Rothesay and Aberdeen for me. My aunt and uncle owned the old Clarks shoe shop on Rothesay from about 1975 until it was demolished around 1992-ish and stayed on the island in Port Bannatyne, we frequently stayed with them and spent days at various spots around Bute throughout the 1980's.

Aberdeen as my mum's side of the family are from there and we used to take the caravan and stay in Hazelhead campsite in the summer, and with my grandparents in the winter.

With the campsite we sometimes went round other places like Elgin, Lochgoilhead etc. and for a couple of summers we toured round various places in England with it for 3 or 4 weeks.

Finally went abroad (to France) for the first time when I was about 12.

Happy times! :)

Rothesay for us, I was the youngest of nine and remember sleepimg in a drawer in my mum and dads room in the flat they rented. My faither continued working and came down at the weekend with his wages. Being the youngest once it was just me ,mum and dad it was southport and even the Isle of Man to see the Saints in a pre season tournament.

First time I was on a plane, flew from Renfrew Airport to Edinburgh, that damn travel sickness, yes, even although we were hardly in the air before we were down again, I was severly sick, an ambulance was called to meet the plane, spent 45 minutes being treated before we made it to Edinburgh zoo, got the bus home, couldn't risk that again.

Next plane experience to follow....................lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Only had two holidays in Scotland - one year in a caravan park at Maidens and the other we went off touring going to Skye, Inverness, Nairn and some other shite places - we may even have gone home early cause it was so wet.

More regular for us would be for my Grandpa to book us on one of the Babcock buses and to go either to St Annes or to Scarborough. I also remember the battleships at Peasholme Park and playing football in the park in thick mist every morning. My Dad would always book a B&B in the North side of Scarborough cause he hated all those amusement arcades in the South. I've taken my kids down to see the battleship show - it's still on - but we couldn't find any decent hotels in Scarborough so we landed up staying in York.

We had a couple of years where we almost made it abroad - Weymouth and the Isle of Wight - but that was it. The memories of those holidays were OK but we would usually arrive on Wimbledon Finals day so the biggest memory tends to be of my Dad hustling us all to get to the accommodation so he could watch the last set.

Ayr was another favourite.

Ged, you must have been loaded, I was hardly in a car till I was a teenager.

One time a family friend offered to drive us to Saltcoats, fxsake, I was sick everywhere, travel sickness was to haunt me for years. :green

Look, you don't need to create such a complicated back story, tragic and technicolourful as this one is.

We accept you as you are. You're a Saints fan. No Buddie's gaun tae demand that you travel cross-country every week just to prove that.

:)

Three or four families would get on the first double decker in Canal street about 7.00am and get down to West Kilbride. For the day. Gather wood from the shore line and a fire would be on all day for the tea etc.

Last weary bus home at night. Carting massive buckets (taken for fetching fresh water from the golf course for the cooking/teas) that were now filled to the brim with whelks!

A great tasty protein boost.... But I'd bet you'd even get bored eating just caviar for DAYS....

The Fair fortnights were initially a rented room with mrs norris 56 content street in Ayr. Now under the ring road. Mornings I'd be down the harbour getting the 'dropped fish' from the unloading boats.

By the time I was 10 we'd graduated to the exotic ambience of... Arbroath. Old shore head and west Newgate. I'd be out dawn till dusk. And midnight dooking at the pool. I still have certificates for those mental events.

Look, you don't need to create such a complicated back story, tragic and technicolourful as this one is.

We accept you as you are. You're a Saints fan. No Buddie's gaun tae demand that you travel cross-country every week just to prove that.

smile.png

Could you tell, erm, some, that please? whistling.gif

Oh and leave me alone, ya bully. tongue.png

Edited by faraway saint

smile.png

He disnae anyway, he's a part timer. lol.gif

Morecambe every year til I was 8 then Scarborough with the odd Torquay holiday until i was late teens. BB trips to Arran, Rothesay, Balmaha, Jersey and I.O.M. Always seemed to be sunny. Morecambe is a ghost town now but Scarborough has fared better. Still feel like a big kid when i visit. Visiting anywhere by ferry counted as abroad

Up until the age of 12/13 (from 1965 - 1977ish) we holidayed exclusively in Port Bannatyne on the Isle of Bute, for the entire duration of the summer holidays.

Although, even after that we still went down for the remainder of the summer holidays after our "exotic" hoildays to Devon and South Wales.

My grandparents had a flat on the front on Marine Road that looked onto the main bus stop, just along from McMillan's (???) rowing boat jetty.

I have so many brilliant memories of the place.The beaches like Ettrick, Bay Scalpsie and Stravanan were superb.

The XL cafe in the Gallowgate did fantastic drinks, made up of the local Bute red kola with a large scoop of Italian ice cream in it.

Used to do a lot of sea fishing in Kames Bay until the trawlers started to sweep into the bay and there were f**k all fish left to catch.dry.png

Me and my younger brother used to get the bus into Rothesay and spend all our pocket money for the day in Billy's Bingo amusements and had to walk home.My Granny used to give us pelters for spending all our money,although we did fabricate a few stories to hide our propensity for filling up slot machines and games machines like Galaxian and Breakout.

I also remember buying bags of chips from the local chippy for 10p.

I still have a weird fascination with car ferries as, I loved the Cowal,the Bute and Glen Sannox,with the turntables and the hydraulic platforms.

My faither had a touring caravan and done Sandylands Saltcoats for a while.

We then did Auchenlarie Creetown for a number of years which these days you struggle to get in now.

Ended up the last few years Silioth and Berwick holiday centres.

Loved to look back with rose tinted glasses but wasn't like that.

A lot of bother at these places apart from Creetown so i would say that was the best.

But once got chased by a farmer with a shotgun at this place as i took a shortcut between beaches